Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitutes for the TASTE of drinks?

Hi all...

Quick question... I've been 8 days AF and things are going well. However, I found myself totally craving a beer last night...not (necessariy) the alcohol in it, but the actual beer taste.

Of course that line of thought lead me down the path of what else would be "tasty" at that point. It wasn't so much the "I want an alcoholic drink", but that "a margarita/mojito/Corona would be really yummy right now" (my bf put some lime in a beer while watching basketball, which is what triggered the thought train)

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for "virgin" drinks that would work well in those circumstances? I know Guiness makes a decent non-alcoholic beer, but most of the non-alcoholic versions of common drinks (while good) don't taste the same as the real deal. My one try with non-alcoholic wine was outstandingly disappointing.

On the other hand, is this something I get to suck up and deal with as I stay AF? :huh: If so, c'est la vie.

Any thoughts you all have would be welcome

Noella

:wavin:

Noella

I tried all sorts of non-alcoholic wines and the best one for me would be Aqua libra. They do a range from sweet to dry as I find most non-alcoholic wines can be sickly.

Why not make cocktails but without the alcohol?

Comment

Rj, put up all kinds of mocktails on her blog site around Valentines day. try there or google mocktails
      Mar

Comment

I hate to say this but if wine didn't give me a buzz I wouldn't drink it. I mostly just drink water, juice, coffee, or tea. Gosh I guess a healthy fruit smoothie. Sorry
        AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
        Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Look in the Receipe section on this website. Some people have posted some things they have tried and liked.

Good luck.
          Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

I heard a doctor on tv this morning discussing dieting and he said listerine strips reduce the craving for sweet foods, maybe it will work for alcohol cravings too.
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Noella

Its interesting that you say this..... I was a wine drinker but would drink anything as long as it had alcohol in it within reason.

If you remember the first time you drank it tasted pretty disgusting and children find the taste really bitter.. We have to train ourselves to like it, a bit like smoking and then we enjoy its effects which supersedes the taste.

I have had 2 bottles of non-alcoholic beer in my cupboard for 3 years and have never been remotely tempted to try them...for me it is definitely the effect I drank for not taste.

Maybe something that is really thirst quenching like pineapple and sparkilng water or citrus fruits which can be bitter.

Hope this helps

Love

S

Comment

Weirdly, given that I NEVER drink alcoholic beer, I can drink endless bottles of n/a Becks.

Virgin Marys are good for me.

San pellegrino mineral water with lime and lots of ice.

there is a UK n/a wine called Free which is ok. Eisberg is Sh*te : how their marketing people dare cash their pay cheques is a scandal.

Ginger wine (n/a) is lovely - but I think this is a quaint british farmers market oddity.

Comment

Ariel makes a decent AF wine that has a taste that is sort of like wine.....
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Noella, different brands of N/A beer can taste quite unique from one another. I've developed a liking for O'douls myself. Thanks you guys/gals for the tips on the N/A wine...I really like the taste of "good" wine so it will probably be a stretch but it beats falling off the wagon. I've got a bottle of FRE chardonnay in the fridge I'm going to try perhaps this weekend sometime...wish me luck.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good luck Determinator!! Let me know how that works out.
                      AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                      Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Kitkat, if you don't hear a loud gagging noise then all's well
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

HELP!!!!!

In a similar vein, if any of the other Aussies out there know of a half way decent non alcoholic wine please let me know.

I've always been a wine enthusiast (too much of an enthusiast lately) and Edenvale Non-alc. Sparkling Cuvee, which I sit here sipping from my best crystal flute, just isn't doin' it for me frankly!!

Haven't a sweet tooth, getting sick of mineral water and green tea - for heavens sakes don't let boredom drive me back to the bottle (just kidding folks......)

rr

Comment

Hello All,
                            the strange thing for me, is that I haven't yet found an alcoholic drink that tastes nice.
                            It's as quickly as I can get it down my neck and stop worrying how it tastes.
                            Sad.......

Comment

I have actually become addicted to cranberry/apple juice with a splash of 7up. At work I drink water and diets so I look forward to coming thru my door and mixing my new "cocktail"

My daughter is now drinking it just because its so refreshing, we were laughing the other night about Bacardi sales taking a nosedive since I stopped drinkng but now it the time to buy stock in Ocean Spray:cheering

AF 93 days Tonight at 10pm:whee: :whee: :whee:
                              AF Since December 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X