March 10, 2013...The Disease to Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(If someone will post this in the 'Just Starting Out' Daily Encouragement thread for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm having those issues again today where my ISP or something won't let me into the Just Starting Out section. I posted and then bam, it struck again, so I couldn't finish up.) TIA

To Please Yourself,
    Quit Being a People Pleaser

Have your say? leave a comment below after you read!

Pleasing Yourself Makes the World a Happier Place.

Find it hard to please yourself because you?re so busy trying to please everyone around you? This tendency, known as ?people pleasing? has also been called the ?disease to please.?

If you are so worried about trying to make everyone else happy that you neglect to make yourself happy, this can certainly be a problem.

People pleasing usually comes from a belief that other people?s happiness is more important than your own. This is a harmful belief, as it creates feelings of inferiority. Is there any good reason why you have any less right to be happy than anyone else?

You may believe that to please yourself is selfish, and to please others is good and noble. This is not true! You have every bit as much right to be happy as anyone else. There is also no great virtue in trying to please everyone.

Pleasing others is not the same as helping or loving them. Often things that are best for others are things that they don?t like. You could please your kids by feeding them candy, or you could do what?s right for them by feeding them a healthy diet. People often don?t like what is good for them!

It is also important to meet your own needs before you worry about other people?s needs. On an airplane, parents are told that in the event of an emergency, they should fasten their own oxygen mask before assisting their child. If you don't take care of yourself first, you will not be in a position to take care of others.

If you are so busy trying to please other people that you don?t fulfill your own needs, you will wind up running on empty. It's like trying to feed everyone around you, while you starve yourself. This is not only very bad for you, but you will not be much good to anyone else either if you are not strong and healthy.

People pleasing is often a way of trying to gain approval, and to be liked. Your subconscious mind tells you that if you try very hard to make others happy, and not to upset anyone, you will get the admiration you feel that you need.

Caring too much about being liked by others is usually a sign that you don?t really like yourself much. You feel that you are not good enough in some way, but believe that if everyone else thinks you are great, then you will feel better about yourself. This is a totally topsy-turvy way of thinking, and it doesn?t work.

Whether other people have a good or poor opinion of us does not improve our self image. Some of the most popular and beautiful people in the world are terribly insecure, despite being adored by many. Your self image comes from you- there are no short cuts, or ways to buy or earn self respect. You have to develop it from within.

It is also much more probable that you will be genuinely liked and respected by others if you like and respect yourself. Our self image sets a powerful example for those around us. If you feel good about yourself though, it won?t matter as greatly what other people think of you. You won?t need validation from the outside as much.

Trying to please others often fails at getting them to like you anyway. Some people are impossible to please. The harder you try, the pickier they get. It can become a power play, a way of getting you to jump through hoops by withholding the approval they know you want so much.

What?s more, by making yourself a doormat in your desire to please, you will more likely lose respect than gain it. We tend to respect someone who values themselves enough to stand up for what they want, and to please themselves. Trying to please everyone else, at the expense of your own happiness is not smart and it is not helpful.

It is impossible to please everyone anyway. Whether you cut your hair short, keep it long, dye it pink, or shave it off at the suggestion of your friends, there will always be someone who thinks it was much better the other way.

As the song goes, ?You can?t please everyone, so you?ve got to please yourself.? This is pretty good advice for people pleasers. However hard you try to please everyone, it is not going to succeed. It is also very unlikely that you will gain much by trying.

Get rid of those negative ideas that other people?s happiness is more important than yours, that you don?t deserve to be happy, or that it is selfish to please yourself.

Make it your priority to please yourself. If we all did this, the world would be a much happier place!
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

What a great read, described me almost to a "T".
    Thank you for posting this and I will keep this one as a reminder reader.
    FT
    AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
    As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Love this piece. It is so true.

You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself !

I am learning how true this is since I have gotten sober. The work I used to put in to be universally liked is a total waste of energy.

I am no more liked or disliked when I am honest, but I am much happier when I am being authentic.

Thanks for this Slay :h

Comment

Hi,

I didn't see this separate thread until now and posted what I've copied below in the Encouragement thread. Maybe this is a better place for discussion/feedback - The positive flow of the other thread is great. Anyway, here is what I'm looking for some help with:

----------------

Just about everything in this post is what I have recently realized I need to be considering - thanks for the worksheet! You asked for comments but I have more of a question.

Until the right questions were asked of me in just the perfect way here on MWO, and I struggled to honestly answer them, I didn't even realize that perfectionism and the need to please others are core issues for me. It is a hard thing to suddenly see myself differently than before and I tried for awhile to rationalize away these uncomfortable truths but have decided to wrestle with them instead. I especially find it hard to reconcile what I considered a strong, confident self-image with these underlying personality traits.

For example, this part of the post struck me:

People pleasing usually comes from a belief that other people?s happiness is more important than your own. This is a harmful belief, as it creates feelings of inferiority. Is there any good reason why you have any less right to be happy than anyone else?

It didn't feel quite like this to me - not that other people are more important - but rather, I felt like I could handle not having things 'my way' better than those around me. I thought I was operating from a position of strength.

Any thoughts??

Thanks again, NS

Comment

Wow - great post Slay!! I am definitely a people pleaser. I have only in the past couple of years even thought about saying what I want/need and I still have a very hard time with that. Thanks for posting this.
          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

NoraC;1476049 wrote: Wow - great post Slay!! I am definitely a people pleaser. I have only in the past couple of years even thought about saying what I want/need and I still have a very hard time with that. Thanks for posting this.
            Hi Nora,

Thinking of you :l.

Matt's home sick today so My nurse duties are kicking in . I had a poem to send you and then Lost it... Darn cyber space!

I'll find it and PM you. Sending prayers to you

:h
            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

PS- that was a good post Slay.

You are finding out so much about yourself and we all get to benefit from your journey. :thanks:

:l
              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I forgot I posted this here. I still can't get into any thread in the 'Just Starting Out' section other than through a backdoor to the NN. I checked to see if I could get into the 'General Discussion' area and obviously yes. Out of time, but this topic triggered a memory just now...it wasn't a tune of mine, so funny that it came out of my memory banks, but here you go. Some of you may remember this. I bet Hipster does.

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends A chance to share old memories and play our songs again When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name No one recognized me, I didn't look the same
                But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well See you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself
                People came from miles around, everyone was there Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air And over in the corner much to my surprise Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise
                But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well See you can't please everyone so you got to please yourself
                Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came No one heard the music, we didn't look the same I said, hello to Mary Lou, she belongs to me When I sang a song about a honky tonk it was time to leave
                Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should If you gotta play at garden parties I wish you a lotta luck But if memories were all I sang I'd rather drive a truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHR7_VZdRw[/video]]Rick Nelson Garden Party - YouTube

No sugar, out of time. If I have some this week, I'll come back here.
                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Working...
                X