WHY do you drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY do you drink?

That?s an interesting question! When I went to see a doctor (who is apparently a qualified psychiatrist and now works for an alcohol recovery charity) to talk about Antabuse, he asked me all the normal questions, ie: how much do you drink, do you drink in the morning, have you missed work because of your drinking, been in trouble with the police etc etc ? but he really threw me when he looked me straight and the eye and said ?why do you drink??

I sat in awkward silence for a few minutes and thought ?actually, why DO I drink?? It?s not that my life?s that bad ? so WHY do I?

I?ve been thinking about this for a week now and come up with a few points:
    Habit - self-loathing and punishment, a feeling of unworthiness ? but I?m not sure whether I feel like this BECAUSE I drink - or whether I DRINK because I feel like this (if that makes sense).

I just wondered if anyone else has thought about WHY they drink ? and if identifying the reason has helped them to quit?
    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

WHY do you drink?

How many volumes can I post on here at 1 time? If my doctor had ever asked that question, we would still be talking about it.
    In a nutshell, however, major insecurities, not a lot of self-confidence (thank you Mother); not a lot of self-worth. All things I have been working on for a long time, and yes, I am getting better.
    BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Boredom, escape from reality, to "relax", because it's a habit that took over my life.

I doubt that would make much sense to a non-alcoholic, but it made perfect sense to me, at the time!
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I AGREE WITH K9

Doesn't everyone start out as a "social" drinker? Though many of us know IMMEDIATELY that drinking is THE answer for us, still, it is the socially accepted social lubricant . It has infiltrated all occasions; it is EXPECTED behavior. If not noone would ever say "Oh, you quit drinking? How come?"

The screwed up wiring/system that some of us have then make that habit turn into a compulsion that does far more harm than ever anticipated when we did that first champagne toast at a wedding all those years ago. Take it or leave it is not an option for some of us, including me.

Sorry to go off on a rant but I think it was at first possible to pretend it was "fun" but that turned into hell in due course. FOr some reason I feel angry about this right now. ???

Comment

WHY do you drink?

same reasons as k9 and ann,also anxiety issues and when i first started 2 beers seemed to cure my insomnia,oh how fast it escalated
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Boredom and habit.......................
            AF since 3/12/13.

Completed over a year AF and fell off the wagon.
            Back to it, new day 1= 7/1/14

I'm on my way.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

doo-doo;1480305 wrote: why? no wonder this place SUCKS!!!
              Come now let's STOP the doo-doo doo-doo !
              Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Why do you do this Doo Doo? Are you just looking for attention?

I assume you are posting while drinking, if not and you are sober you really need some serious help. I find it funny how you constantly post about how dumb we all are here, yet you keep coming back. What does that say about you??????
                AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

doo-doo;1480303 wrote: why do you ask DUMB shit?
                  Why did YOU drink yesterday Doo-doo? More importantly, why did you post while drunk?? We are tired of it...I guess I shouldn't speak for everyone...I am tired of it!!!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Hi doo doo - I feel sad for you as you don't seem to want to help yourself or be constructive in helping others - you must feel very lonely.

BHOG, K9, Ann and Pauywogg - thank you for sharing. I think that my problems stemmed a lot from low self-esteem, loneliness and anxiety to start with. The drink relaxed me and made me feel better about myself. Then when my children were babies and I was stuck at home all day without another adult to talk too, my evening 'grown up' treat was a few glasses of wine and that certainly got rid of any boredom. Then it got to the point that I didn't know what else to do with myself if I didn't drink until I passed out!

Lots of people seems to assume that alcoholics are homeless people living at rock bottom on a park bench so it's interesting why some of us here on MWO who to the outside world apear to have very 'charmed' lives are struggling equally.

I hope my post didn't seem totally pointless to everyone.
                    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I don't drink...

But when I did it was to get utterly and totally smashed off my head in the vain hope that it would make all the shit in my life go away

which of course it never did, it just gave me a hangover and left me feeling worse..

and still I drank..
                      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Hi,

I drank because it was a really good day, it was a really bad day,
                        it was the dogs birthday, it was window cleaning day, it was sunny,
                        raining, you get my gist just any old excuse to have a drink but mainly
                        because I felt so sad and underwhelmed during the day so it was all I
                        wanted to do at night to get away, now having stopped I realise I was
                        feeling sad during the day because I drank and whenever I do give up
                        all those feelings go, the problem is staying stopped for me and that is
                        and will always be my battle.

Much love Flossie xx
                        Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I drank for what ever reason was around at the time , in reality i had no reason to drink , just made excuses to drink.
                          AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

WHY do you drink?

HEY SNAPDRAGON

How are you doing? I agree that a common perception of "alcoholic" is someone on a park bench with a brown paper bag.
                            And THAT misperception is one of the things that lends itself to denial, as in "Oh I have a job,car,house,family,whatever else so I couldn't possibly be a drunk"

The things that we are told we SHOULD have to be "successful", these are the barriers we hide behind to pretend all is well. After all, noone has to know that our grip on these things is tenuous at best.

I have a friend at work who has told me of her struggle, but only because I shared mine. She was so happy to know this, and we are support for each other. We both said the same thing "I had no idea". Outward appearances can sometimes be so deceiving.

I suppose that's why the change has to come from the inside out. Noone can know the hell you put yourself through. Many are suffering in silence, which would usually bring me to my rant about the stigma attached to addiction but I guess I've yammered enough. LOL

Comment

WHY do you drink?

doo-doo;1480303 wrote: why do you ask DUMB shit?
                              You know what.......I am getting really pissed off that this nasty woman is not barred.

WHY is she tolerated ????.

It is not that she is always drunk .......she is fucking nasty, and I am sick of saying nothing cos she is accepted as the VILLAGE IDIOT

Comment

Working...
                              X