WHY do you drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY do you drink?

kuya;1480441 wrote: You know what.......I am getting really pissed off that this nasty woman is not barred.

WHY is she tolerated ????.

It is not that she is always drunk .......she is fucking nasty, and I am sick of saying nothing cos she is accepted as the VILLAGE IDIOT
    And the village is getting very TIRED of this idiot!!!
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

K9Lover;1480450 wrote: And the village is getting very TIRED of this idiot!!!
      But every village seems to have one unfortunately. *sigh*

This behavior doesn't anger me... it actually makes me feel very sorry for them.
      There is a very hurt soul under all that nastiness. I hope they start to find a way out of their own hell.
      AF 6 years
      NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

WHY do you drink?

FallenAngel;1480481 wrote: But every village seems to have one unfortunately. *sigh*

This behavior doesn't anger me... it actually makes me feel very sorry for them.
        There is a very hurt soul under all that nastiness. I hope they start to find a way out of their own hell.
        FA......I have felt the same as you but I have seen DooDoo spewing her nastiness on new folk.

There are MILLIONS of nasty, sad, lonely, aggressive drunks in the world......WHY is DooDoo allowed special dispensation ???

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Back to the point of this thread.........

I was listening to a hypnosis download for smoke cessation and it postulated that smoking is usually started in our teens and is actually 'self harm'........no different to cutting which is the current craze amongst teenagers

This concept smacked me between the eyes like a thunderbolt.

I developed anorexia, began smoking and drinking within the same twelve month period. I was fourteen, very alone, my father had just died and all these dysfunctional coping mechanisms began.

In all honesty, since alcohol AND cigarettes AND starving all hurt to start with I believe we ALL were self harming to cope with uncomfortable feelings.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

kuya;1480510 wrote: FA......I have felt the same as you but I have seen DooDoo spewing her nastiness on new folk.

There are MILLIONS of nasty, sad, lonely, aggressive drunks in the world......WHY is DooDoo allowed special dispensation ???
            I don't know.
            DooDoo reminds me of a member several years back that got banned from here. For whatever reason, I got to feel the full blow of their nastiness. I know how it feels.
            I also remember trying to shield a newbie in chat from that kind of behavior... I felt so bad that this new person was witnessing all of that.

If nothing else, long-termers & newbies alike can see for themselves that this is a person who is a good example of a bad example. Something none of us here want to be.
            AF 6 years
            NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Not much point in getting to worked up about it , just click the little red triangle and report, if enough people are upset and report action will be taken.
              AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Oh dear doo-doo.....what more can one say. Sometimes, we (and our bottle) are our own WORST enemy!
                It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                Mother Theresa

Comment

WHY do you drink?

madmans;1480523 wrote: Not much point in getting to worked up about it , just click the little red triangle and report, if enough people are upset and report action will be taken.
                  done, hope others do too

there is definitely an overwhelming theme running through this thread about using alcohol to cope with stuff?
                  I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Flossie;1480406 wrote: Hi,

I drank because it was a really good day, it was a really bad day,
                    it was the dogs birthday, it was window cleaning day, it was sunny,
                    raining, you get my gist xx
                    I don't mean to make light of this, but gee you made me laugh! I reckon we could all come up with a bunch of lame excuses to justify our drinking.
                    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

WHY do you drink?

reasons why

The dogmatic view is that it's not important to know why. That it's an excuse for drinking. And we get these portrayals of alcoholics in mainstream movies like Meg Ryan's that suggest it's like some unexplainable thing, something that can happen to happy people with otherwise great lives. That it's some weird biological disease like diabetes.

The truth as we can see here on this forum, is that a lot of people abusing alcohol have low self-esteem, have suffered child abuse and/or have mental health problems bipolar/PTSD/depression/anxiety/OCD. If I had a dollar for every person posting on this site with low self esteem and depression. These conditions according to the dogma are caused by the disease of alcoholism, when many people realize the reverse is true.

I suggest you read Heart of Addiction by Lance Dodes who says that addiction looks like self-harm but is actually an attempt at coping that backfires.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I reported it, too. I report it every time it happens. It is a shame she dumped here because this is a legitimate question...asking the ROOT cause of our problem... what could be more relevant, really? Doo doo needs some help, and I hope she gets it...but wish she'd stop trying to sabotage and berate those of us who are trying to help ourselves. B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

WHY do you drink?

kuya;1480518 wrote: I was listening to a hypnosis download for smoke cessation and it postulated that smoking is usually started in our teens and is actually 'self harm'........no different to cutting which is the current craze amongst teenagers

This concept smacked me between the eyes like a thunderbolt.

I developed anorexia, began smoking and drinking within the same twelve month period. I was fourteen, very alone, my father had just died and all these dysfunctional coping mechanisms began.

In all honesty, since alcohol AND cigarettes AND starving all hurt to start with I believe we ALL were self harming to cope with uncomfortable feelings.
                          Absoflippinlutely! And now the sobering task of facing up to all those feelings bottled up for the last 30+ years, or at least letting them 'be'.
                          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

WHY do you drink?

nancy;1480564 wrote: The dogmatic view is that it's not important to know why. That it's an excuse for drinking. And we get these portrayals of alcoholics in mainstream movies like Meg Ryan's that suggest it's like some unexplainable thing, something that can happen to happy people with otherwise great lives. That it's some weird biological disease like diabetes.

The truth as we can see here on this forum, is that a lot of people abusing alcohol have low self-esteem, have suffered child abuse and/or have mental health problems bipolar/PTSD/depression/anxiety/OCD. If I had a dollar for every person posting on this site with low self esteem and depression. These conditions according to the dogma are caused by the disease of alcoholism, when many people realize the reverse is true.

I suggest you read Heart of Addiction by Lance Dodes who says that addiction looks like self-harm but is actually an attempt at coping that backfires.
                            I must read that book.......the self harm comparison fascinates me.

All I know is drinking took me out of self.....a self that seemed to have to work too hard to feel acceptable/accepted.

I abandoned myself to these drugs in the same way I was abandoned literally .......sad but true.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

self harm

Kuya, I think it's really important to understand what's going on and not accept some outdated, one-size-fits-all pop psychology or 12-stepper interpretation. It's also important to understand that we are individuals and one solution does not fit all.

That's what I love about the book.

So this interpretation that addiction is pure self harm, that's what we all accept. In reality, it can be self medication, with very harmful effects. It's a faulty attempt at helping oneself that results in harm. That's very different from setting out deliberately to harm yourself.

READ THE BOOK!

I will say that I am sure this will benefit people who are functional and binge drink and have psych issues, I have no idea about the benefit for chronic, heavy drinkers who are physically addicted.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I reported Doo-Doo as well.

But back to the topic at hand, I too am listening to a Quit Smoking CD. Tonight will be my third night. It's not a miracle (of course) but I think it IS starting to sink in. It has the same theme as the one Kuya was referring to...all forms of self-harm seem to stem from uncomfortable thoughts within ourselves.

Kuya - Have you quit smoking? I keep relapsing but I'm not giving up. I will continue the CD and everything else under the sun to get this demon licked once and for all!!! I MAY have to ask my Doctor for meds, but some of the (possible) side effects scare the beejeesus out of me. LOL

p.s. Doo-doo's other thread seems to have been removed....
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X