Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY do you drink?

Kuya -
    I have some Kudzu...I will give it a try. I listened to my CD last night again. I know it's going to stick eventually. (Sorryto be focusing on smoking in this thread...self-harm comes in MANY forms!)

Nursie - I was always chasing the "buzz" too...once I had the buzz I thought more would make it even more fun! Boy was I wrong. More had me falling down, driving drunk, being a complete ASS and then not remembering any of it! Insanity!
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Wow- I think I am glad I missed the doo-doo action! but back on subject.
      At times, I would drink because I was expected to. For example, after a day in the hot dry desert, up in a bucket truck for hours, go back to the barn, down to the bar, and the guy from out of town (me) "gets" to buy the crew a beer...or three. so I would lift a glass as well.
      Problem was, I enjoyed it. Too much.
      So after they went home, I'd get some food, and continue to drink, perhaps in private in my hotel room so as not to have any of them find out I was a problem drinker.
      And on the plane ride home, well it has been a long week, who doesn't deserve a chance to relax? I don't have to drive...
      BHOG
      BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

WHY do you drink?

It was an escape for me. B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

WHY do you drink?

AL was a means of escape for me. B
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Yeah-escape into a dungeon! LOL
            BHOG
            BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

WHY do you drink?

stress....and drinking only caused more stress
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

WHY do you drink?

It's hard for me to remember why I drank...it really is? I'm sure in the beginning it was the buzz but in the last years of my drinking it almost seemed like I drank because I didn't know what else to do with myself. It was almost like I only felt normal when I had alcohol in me. Thank God those days are over forever!!! Now I feel more like myself than I ever did drinking and not only that... I HAVE LEARNED TO LOVE THE SOBER ME!!!
                Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I wonder if making ALL drugs legal after, say, 21 would have a positive effect socially.

If we taught our children that they were still maturing mentally and risk harming their emotional development but could take WHATEVER they wanted after a certain age.

Having the legal age at 18 means it starts younger and is harder to police. 18 year olds are more likely to buy and supply 14 year olds ( as happened to me anyway).

I believe nicotine is the gateway drug......... I would love to poll how many here smoke or used to smoke.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

wow, alot of things to think about, i started smoking after i started drinking, i was cutting myself before i was an alcoholic, I kicked that habit for a year but whenever i get bad with drinking I start self harming again.

I guess I drink for alot of reasons. I had an upbringing I can't face, I haven't got any really positive relationships in life (at least not ones which are normal), I need to relax and switch off, I self sabotage by drinking, it's been part of my life for a long time, it is my only coping mechanism and frankly i don't know myself sober, 7 years isn't long, until you realise its half of your remembered life.
                    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I drink wine because I love the taste and because it is the one thing that helps me control neurological pain. I'm concerned that I am developing a tolerance and so I am going to give up wine--most nights, anyway--and stay away from wine tastings!

Comment

WHY do you drink?

My parents started us in on champagne for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years dinners probably at the age of 13. I knew I liked it then. I liked the buzz and how everyone seemed to be having so much fun.

I equated booze and fun at an early age. It's a fake fun. They are like, 80s now and still drink. It was lifestyle for such a long time, I didn't know how else to live, until I met my non-drinking hubby.

I didn't realize there were people that had never even tasted AL on the planet!!!

I became addicted long ago. Now I am throwing AL out of my life.

-S-

Comment

WHY do you drink?

paulywogg;1480128 wrote: same reasons as k9 and ann,also anxiety issues and when i first started 2 beers seemed to cure my insomnia,oh how fast it escalated
                          That makes me chuckle, my nickname back in the day was 2beerNelz.........:H

I guess I drank for the "pleasure receptors" getting their fix. I dont "think" I was trying to escape, but who knows.....for the most part, I just really like the way it tastes(I still drink NA beer once in a while), and I really liked the buzz.
                          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I started as a social drinker as many do. But in my twenties developed anxiety issues and panic attacks, at first I knew drinking would make it worse so I stayed off the booze, however I remember being a my friends wedding and I was having a continuos panic attack from about 4am, when the pre wedding breakfast drinks came round I thought sod it, and it took away the panic!! I thought that's it when I panic I will drink dumbass that I am. Anyway over the years I self medicated more and more until I ended up an alcoholic, I know I'm not a cronic one and I do have periods of moderating, but deep down for me I know abstinence is the best option.
                            AF since 2nd Oct 2012
                            Day by day

Comment

WHY do you drink?

Interesting thread. I have never smoked cigarettes and up to my mid-twenties had a ball and was the life of the party dead sober. I think it was after a few personal tragedies that I started enjoying the numb feeling of being buzzed.

Part of me believes that I drink so as to not remember the mistakes I've made, the people I've let down and the bad decisions I have made. I am very sensitive to hurting others and can't live with the knowledge that I have unconsciously inflicted pain on those I love.

Now I acknowledge that and try to live by the wisdom of Eckhart Tolle. Reading his two books, The Power of Now and A New Earth have helped me tremendously in forgiving myself.

I have to stop drinking and am starting an abstinence plan that I intend to be permanent. Not drinking is totally unacceptable in many social situations that I am part of. I have to learn to have a tough outer skin and put myself first; stop trying to please everyone around me by ingesting poison just to make them happy.

Boredom will be my biggest challenge though.
                              Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                              ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

WHY do you drink?

I drink because it's sociable, and relaxing.. why I binge and black out im not sure.. i cant stop once I get going and have only been able to moderate by limiting the amount of AL in the house, exp if i buy a bottle of wine, i will drink all of it. it blows, im happy, i have a great life, amazing partner and good friends.. there is no reason i need to drink so heavily.

Comment

Working...
                                X