kick start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kick start?

pixie;1481969 wrote: I think we do all hit a rock bottom, but the rock bottom is not a physical event (DUI, job loss, bedwetting, whatever). It's the moment where your mind says "I can't do this anymore", and REALLY mean it - not just a day-after I'm feeling crappy and guilty "I've got to stop doing this", but a sincere realization that you just can't rationalize the issue away anymore. This is probably the 'growing up' theory that others have mentioned just said a different way. But I really think it is your rock bottom, in that your brain cannot logically rationalize it away anymore.
    I totally agree with you --- I hit a negative plateau --- and miserably hung out there for awhile until I just couldn't take it anymore. I can't tell you what made the difference between being stalled one day and taking action the next but I sure am grateful for the neuron that finally fired!!

Comment

kick start?

kuya;1482146 wrote:
      Truth is that if you wake up one day and you are covered in shit then it is kind of irrelevant what species of animal shit on you......you are gonna have to get clean.
      Kuya, you must be a Viktor Frankl fan, also! Your arguments are a tad pithier than his...:H...but you make the same point.
      I can keep this one in mind quite easily and plan to do so! :h

Comment

kick start?

Yes, NoSugar, of all the arguments made, that is the one that is 'sticking'!! And it's so true....it doesn't matter HOW we got here....we are here now and action has to be taken cause nuthin changes if nuthin changes...(and I DID write the book on that one). :H:H:H

Be sure to catch, "How to get stuck in shit and stay there" by Byrdlady......
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

kick start?

Byrdlady;1482357 wrote: Yes, NoSugar, of all the arguments made, that is the one that is 'sticking'!! And it's so true....it doesn't matter HOW we got here....we are here now and action has to be taken cause nuthin changes if nuthin changes...(and I DID write the book on that one). :H:H:H

Not in our library... can you share a copy?? :H:H

Comment

kick start?

Byrdlady;1482357 wrote: Yes, NoSugar, of all the arguments made, that is the one that is 'sticking'!! And it's so true....it doesn't matter HOW we got here....we are here now and action has to be taken cause nuthin changes if nuthin changes...(and I DID write the book on that one). :H:H:H

Have you seen the book "I know it's shit, but i just can't help but stick my hand in it" By Arsey McShitfaced? ...... Good read

Comment

kick start?

wow, looks like i started something here haha.

so i have had what should be rock bottom things happen, I've woken up in hospital, passed out on the floor, blacked out, run away from home and slept in the park, all before the age of 18 ladies n gents, I sure hit the ground running with AL.

In the end, I'm at a place now where I am ruining a great many things, I have a business, a great education to look forward to and a fiance, all of which I can so easily lose if I carry on. It's just finding a time that's right for me to start again.
              I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

kick start?

InChains;1482389 wrote: wow, ... It's just finding a time that's right for me to start again.

NOW.

I'm not being flippant -- you need to do it so you might just as well get going.

One thing the experienced people say around here is that your relationship with alcohol right now
                is as good as it is going to get. Each day you wait will make it that much harder.

A comment I've read over and over here is how much successfully sober people just wish they had done it sooner.

You're in the right place to get it done so let's go. It isn't going to be any easier and might be harder in the future.

NS

Comment

kick start?

nosugar, I fully intend to quit in the next couple of weeks, I however do not intend to start when I have a week consisting mostly of overtime at work, I hate my job and frankly would probably have quit about a year ago if I didn't have to drag myself in to that place. So, no offence, but I'll be waiting until I'm at least past the point where I have to be in every day.

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

kick start?

In my life, in my careers, I have often taken on challenges and been told, "you can't do that, why try?"
                    But I did it anyway, and felt wonderful for proving them all wrong. It was not easy, and there were times that I was in way over my head, knew it, and kept on going.
                    Battling this addiction is by far the greatest challenge I have ever faced. And it has beat me down many times.
                    However, when in a lucid moment, I look at what I have to gain my staying the course, the pride I feel when I say, "no, thank you, none for me today" then it is all worth it.
                    My life is MINE by damn, and I will not let anyone take it from me. My accomplishments are mine, no one else did them for me.
                    And so it is with this issue. Becoming and staying sober is MINE. No one is twisting my arm, holding a gun to my head to do it.
                    Yes, Mrs BHOG is happy that I don't drink any more. But she is not as happy about it as I am.
                    For me, sobering up is all about me. it had to become personalized for it to work.
                    Do I ever think a glass of wine, would I enjoy it? Yes, I do think about it, and I probably would enjoy it -at the time-, but the next day I would be so upset and angry with myself, so frustrated that I did not exhibit self control.
                    Just my 2 cents worth on this sober Sunday morning.
                    BHOG
                    BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

kick start?

Very interesting thread

Glad I read all this. I agree with Pixie that the bottom is truly your own.
                      It is when you look in the mirror and say WTF am I doing???

My biggest one (when I came here and got serious) was being at a nearby sports bar and "coming to" outsied with the manager waiting for a cab he had called. I had no memory of what I did in the bar. He said I was throwing stuff at the bartender. I'll go out on a limb and say it was to get his attention to get another drink. RIDICULOUS.

So it's up yo you to decide how you want to be, and behave. There are so many aspects of life affected by drinking. I am so glad to finally get it

Comment

kick start?

BHOG;1482431 wrote: ....
                        Do I ever think a glass of wine, would I enjoy it? Yes, I do think about it, and I probably would enjoy it -at the time-, but the next day I would be so upset and angry with myself, so frustrated that I did not exhibit self control.
                        BHOG
                        If I could stop at 1 glass of wine I WOULD BE THRILLED WITH MYSELF IN THE MORNING!:H
                        No disrespect at all intended for your path, but I personally think that would exhibit perfect self control, which I do not possess in this particular regard.

I think this thread is great, btw. P.
                        "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

kick start?

InChains;1482426 wrote: nosugar, I fully intend to quit in the next couple of weeks, I however do not intend to start when I have a week consisting mostly of overtime at work, I hate my job and frankly would probably have quit about a year ago if I didn't have to drag myself in to that place. So, no offence, but I'll be waiting until I'm at least past the point where I have to be in every day.
                          The week I quit was absolutely awful......I was so stressed by work ........but I stuck it out cos I thought 'if I can do this now nothing will shake me in the future' ....... It gave me confidence

Comment

kick start?

everybody is different, me? I know I'll fail if I stop today, but if I wait til Thursday when I have time to myself then I stand a good chance. I've done this a few times now, I know myself and I know that if I start now, and hit day 3 with work the following day? yeah I'll either pick up a drink or get myself fired.

Comment

kick start?

InChains;1482517 wrote: everybody is different, me? I know I'll fail if I stop today, but if I wait til Thursday when I have time to myself then I stand a good chance. I've done this a few times now, I know myself and I know that if I start now, and hit day 3 with work the following day? yeah I'll either pick up a drink or get myself fired.
                              sorry .... i didnt read properly and thought you were waiting for ages...my bad

Comment

kick start?

no worries kuya, I know it looks to alot of people like I'm just putting off doing this, but I'm just trying to give myself the best chance of success

Comment

Working...
                                X