Five reasons to do intense cardio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Neuroplasticity. Intense exercise helps the brain regenerate neurons destroyed by alc
    2. Intense exercise detoxifies the enter body especially vital organs and the liver. The sweatier the better. Tip to sweating more: Shower just before embarking on the exercise of your choice. It also gives you an energy boost
    Be a beast.
    3. Immediate mood lift. You don't have to wait weeks for medication to kick.
    4. Curbs craving. Endorphins released during exercise block pathways of the brain that cravings act on.
    5.Self-esteem boost especially when you start getting complements on how
    good you look. You can add to the list
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

I love intense cardio but I am scared of heart attack after a lifetime of alcohol and cigarettes. Even though I have quit I am not sure how hard I dare push myself........my own fault I know :upset:

Comment

I will jump onto the mood boost: in some studies exercise has outperformed anti-depressants.

I love my swimming laps. I try yo go three times per week. I also walk the dog a half mile most days, and do a lot of gardening in season.

Kuya, get a health check and start out slowly walking.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam......I am exercising plenty......just not intensely, which I miss.

I have heard of people getting fitness tests and then dropping dead days later and I can't afford the type of tests that might put my mind at rest.

I will just have to build up slowly

Comment

kuya;1482508 wrote: Sunbeam......I am exercising plenty......just not intensely, which I miss.

I have heard of people getting fitness tests and then dropping dead days later and I can't afford the type of tests that might put my mind at rest.

I will just have to build up slowly
          It is a true concern. I read quite a bit on that possiblity but generally your heart muscles get stronger not weaker to match the need for a stronger blood flow unless you have significant damage to your heart. Congratulations on quitting smoking as I think that once
          you lungs clear up you gonna be able to do more than you think.
          Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for thread: exercise is making its way back on to my agenda
            One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Up till 3 weeks ago amongst the tablets I took had to take statins...had really shit mood swings, aches and pains you could not imagine..would do exercise but nothing like I used to do....
              Doctor told me to quit the statins have done so.....lost 12lb thru dieting and exercise, feel a lot happier, swim at least 40 lengths of the pool which is two thirds Olympic size..usually 60 average 5 times per week still ache but not like I used to and no where near as intense, do upper body resistance training and isometrics, feel so positive, got to agree whole heartedly with you..doubt if I will ever run peaks with packs on my back again..but hey do I really need to??so would definitely advocate getting fitter for both physical and mental well being
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Forgot to add immunity boost. Exercise increases oxygen flow within the cells. Oxygen is a very powerful antimicrobe. People who exercise rarely catch a cold or flu. Oxygen kills cancer cells the more you exercise the more oxygen flow in the cells. Moderate exercise is also beneficial if performed on a consistent basis.

Comment

I have recently started doing "burst training"...you walk at a high speed for 4 minutes, then jog for 2 minutes...on and on for an hour. I am starting Week 6 of my diet/exercise plan and am already down 14.6 pounds!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I have GOT to get on an exercise program......
                    just HAVE to do it.....argh
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

E
                      Change;1482725 wrote: Just wanted to say thanks for thread: exercise is making its way back on to my agenda
                      If we all really knew the power of exercise we would be way way better off
                      It has been my passion for as long as I can remember along with nutrition. You would think I would be the last person on earth to be an alkie...lol. I strongly believe that we are all created with an exit stategy for these traps we sometimes deliberately walk into. Exercise is mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X