Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to see reactions

This has NOTHING to do with Alcohol.
    The letter below appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City, UT, USA) a few days ago. I am interested in the board's reaction.
    The views are those of the author, NOT mine.
    BHOG

I read "April Mormon conference may make history: women will pray" (Tribune, March 19) with great disappointment. I may be a male-chauvinist piglet to many women, yet the fundamentals of scripture are unchanging.
    The Apostle Paul divinely stated in 1 Corinthians 14:34-35: "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. Woman was created for man; this world was made for men to lead households and prayers. Man was created in God?s image ? not in a woman?s image. American society has become so politically correct that it has spilled over to theology. Women, as well as children, may sing in church and participate in other ways.
    If Brigham Young were alive today, I?m certain he would denounce women overshadowing the proper sphere of men. The sexes have different roles.
    James A. Marples
    Provo
    BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Just to see reactions

There was a time when that would infuriate me, and I'd ruminate over it for days. Now, I just roll my eyes.

I've read about your work situation, etc. What in the world possesses you to live in Utah? Are you married to Robert Redford, or something?
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Just to see reactions

Juja;1484242 wrote: There was a time when that would infuriate me, and I'd ruminate over it for days. Now, I just roll my eyes.
      I reckon if God read the Salt Lake Tribune SHE'd roll HER eyes too Juja...

You just have to laugh BHOG, but its scary at the same time...

Comment

Just to see reactions

myhappyplace;1484243 wrote: I reckon if God read the Salt Lake Tribune SHE'd roll HER eyes too Juja...

You just have to laugh BHOG, but its scary at the same time...
        When God made man, she was only joking :H

Anyway, of course God made man before woman... every artist knows you gotta make a first draft before the final masterpiece

Comment

Just to see reactions

Geez BHOG....what a can of worms to open! Why don't you just go kick a puppy now?

KIDDING :H
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Just to see reactions

Juja-
            Being male, I am very unlikely to be married to Redford! LOL
            I am here for several reasons, thank you for asking. Religion is NOT one of them. My wife was born here, I met her when I moved (1976). We had lived out of state literally from the day we married for 4 years: Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho. Both of us felt that Utah was a "safe" place to raise our children, and my work, at the time, could take me here. We have talked about leaving, but we have good friends, our families are here (children her relatives). Our son is buried here. And frankly, it is an outdoor enthusiast's dream! Mountian, lakes, forests, desert, redrocks. The cost of living is fair. Does the religous right frustrate me (as evidenced int he above letter)? You Bet! But I also am a great believer in politics, and have immersed myuself in that as well (as a worker bee, not a politician).
            Well, I hope that may have answered yoru question!
            BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

Just to see reactions

FUNNY

As an atheist I find all organized religion mind-boggling.

And religion's history of women-bashing is clear and laways has been. The Catholic church for example doesn't allow female priests. Too bad-many a lot fewer loys would be damaged by molestation.

Misogyny is only one of the harmful things about religion

Comment

Just to see reactions

Oh dear - people who take the bible literally. smh

The Constitution is only ~200 years old and there is an entire branch of the government dedicated to interpreting it. That's because anything written by humans is immediately open to interpretation.

The times the bible was written in are so different from now. I firmly believe in "if we lived where they live and were taught what they were taught then we would believe what they believe" but at some point you need to just realize that the world has moved on to a point that a literal interpretation is just not realistic. Not to say there is no value, but you need to read the bible and then interpret it according to the times and pick and choose what is still relevant.

Some people need to grow a brain.
                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Just to see reactions

I love this line-"Some people need to grow a brain."
                  Thanks!
                  BHOG

Comment

Just to see reactions

Good LAWDY! Now you dun opened the holy can o worms! Polictics and religion in one post...(you are a brave soul!) This could get ugly! :H Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just to see reactions

BHOG

Yes sirree you have started it now! HAHAHAHA

I love a good debate with Bible thumpers and religious zealots

Comment

Just to see reactions

BHOG;1484247 wrote: Juja-
                        Being male, I am very unlikely to be married to Redford! LOL
                        I am here for several reasons, thank you for asking. Religion is NOT one of them. My wife was born here, I met her when I moved (1976). We had lived out of state literally from the day we married for 4 years: Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho. Both of us felt that Utah was a "safe" place to raise our children, and my work, at the time, could take me here. We have talked about leaving, but we have good friends, our families are here (children her relatives). Our son is buried here. And frankly, it is an outdoor enthusiast's dream! Mountian, lakes, forests, desert, redrocks. The cost of living is fair. Does the religous right frustrate me (as evidenced int he above letter)? You Bet! But I also am a great believer in politics, and have immersed myuself in that as well (as a worker bee, not a politician).
                        Well, I hope that may have answered yoru question!
                        Had no idea you were a male!:H

Perfectly legitimate reasons to live in Utah. I knew when I posted I was being ignorant, and did it in fun. I have to say though, the thought of living in Utah does give me the willies, regardless of its beauty. I'd feel like an alien in Utah. Others would say the same about my state, Virginia. We've got some scary politicians here. (Shiver)
                        "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Just to see reactions

I'll trade you 2 senators and a State AG..what you got?
                          BHOG

Comment

Just to see reactions

Jeepers that St Paul was a wag, wasn't he?

Shouldn't this thread be in the humour section?

:H:H
                            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
                            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Just to see reactions

Glass-
                              It is a MAJOR storm here in Utah! In one day, 1000+ responses on the newspaper's website. Surpringly to me, many were in support of this person's stance.
                              Jsut thought I'd get a very unscientific world sample of opinion.
                              BHOG

Comment

Working...
                              X