Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antabuse: are you on it right now? And if not, why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me Antabuse is like sent from God. It works so good it feels like I am cheating.

I can never imagine trying to stay AF without it. Maybe only after staying AF for many years when I feel 100% sure that I will not drink again ever.

So, are YOU on Antabuse, and if not, why not?

I don't need it. I simply don't want to drink any more.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

There are other better drugs is my view. There is also will power and getting to the root cause of why you drink it the first place. Not using a crutch like medication.
      If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

Hi Marty.....long time no see. Hope you are well.

And Scand....... No drugs for me, was able to quit without so it never occurred to me.....I knew Antabuse existed though.

Comment

kuya, my "straight to the point" posts are back
          If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic.

Comment

Yeah I just read your thread ....... Good to see ya kicking arse my friend

Comment

martye;1487146 wrote: There are other better drugs is my view. There is also will power and getting to the root cause of why you drink it the first place. Not using a crutch like medication.
              Hi Martye - I agree with you totally. I should have willpower, I've spent years trying to get the route of WHY I drink - but finally I've succumbed to the crutch of Antabuse. I wish I had your strength of mind - but I don't!

I'm with you Scand - I've finally found a crutch to help me limp my way back on track!!
              Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Snapdragon;1487156 wrote: Hi Martye - I agree with you totally. I should have willpower, I've spent years trying to get the route of WHY I drink - but finally I've succumbed to the crutch of Antabuse. I wish I had your strength of mind - but I don't!

I'm with you Scand - I've finally found a crutch to help me limp my way back on track!!
                I wonder if the problem comes when you have had a number of lapses and your brain has learned you will give in and drink. Once there is a habit of giving in you need the Antabuse to back up the will power. It is not NO willpower .......you still have to take the pill.

Comment

No AB for me, my dr said he thought I could do it without AB; he would only give it to me if I failed.
                  So I decided to show him up.
                  BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

I say whatever works...however, according to your other thread, scand, it doesn't sound like ab is working for you.
                    10-06-2012

Comment

Antabuse is a tool not a "magic pill". If you decide not to take it and drink you are still in the same situation. You said you are planning to stop taking it so you can drink on your vacation and for a few weeks afterwards so how is it helping you to STAY sober? I do believe it is a valuable tool if it is used correctly.

I was lucky to not need it for my quit. But if I did need it I would like to believe I would use it for staying sober and not play games with it.
                      AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

martye;1487146 wrote: There are other better drugs is my view. There is also will power and getting to the root cause of why you drink it the first place. Not using a crutch like medication.
                        I will say for the millionth time, Antabuse is a TOOL, not a crutch. One of the many tools we have available to use to help us get sober. If you view it as a crutch, I guess you are also opposed to high blood pressure medicine, a pacemaker, hearing aids, antibiotics...etc., etc., etc.
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9Lover;1487237 wrote: I will say for the millionth time, Antabuse is a TOOL, not a crutch. One of the many tools we have available to use to help us get sober. If you view it as a crutch, I guess you are also opposed to high blood pressure medicine, a pacemaker, hearing aids, antibiotics...etc., etc., etc.
                          Life is too short for battling with yourself. For me it's - take the choice away !
                          I use AB as required. If there is even an inkling of being told "why not have one ?" ...............
                          out it comes & I don't have to battle with myself & can go off & enjoy life with no decisions with regard to AL getting in the way.

An EXCELLENT TOOL imo

Comment

K9Lover;1487237 wrote: I will say for the millionth time, Antabuse is a TOOL, not a crutch. One of the many tools we have available to use to help us get sober. If you view it as a crutch, I guess you are also opposed to high blood pressure medicine, a pacemaker, hearing aids, antibiotics...etc., etc., etc.
                            Good point. Although high blood pressure medice is a necessity, as is a pace maker and in most cases so are antibiotics

If you dont take blood pressure meds you may die!
                            If you dont install your pace maker you will die!

If you dont take AB you can still remain sober, so I feel your argument is flawed.

AB is a crutch, not a complete therapy although many problem drinkers still profit from it.

Sure AB is a crutch, but a crutch is very useful is you have a broken leg. Broken legs heal!

A crutch "A device used for assistance or support"

A tool " Something regarded as necessary to the carrying out of one's daily life"

People stay sober every day without AB so it is obviously not a tool. People use AB every day for assistance and support - a crutch!

People need to work out WHY they drink, WHAT their triggers are and Grow the fuck up and tackle their addication head on.

Use AB is it helps but please dont say it is not a crutch as it is, and it can be a very good one although success rates for AB are very low to say the least

Comment

EXCUSE ME?

Grow the fuck up? Really? Since we seem to be in dictionary mode here I can think of another definition of TOOL

Comment

Working...
                              X