X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking with alcohol?

What does everyone do about that?

I've been AF for just over a month now.
    Actually during that time I had rum and raisin icecream and rum chocolate... But I haven't drunk any alcohol or haven't cooked with alcohol.

I have a couple of dishes I used to make with wine or cooking sake.... and my husband has just asked me to make steamed clams in wine.

I don't think it will be a trigger for me to drink and I know I definitely don't want to drink the cooking wine, but is it as harmless as that?

Cooking with alcohol?

I have cooking wine that is so awful, not even your seasoned alkie would give it a shot!!!

Personally, I don't know how NOT to cook with wine. I was a Chef and it's engrained in me to cook that way. So I have awful wine in the house for cooking... I used to use really good stuff but if I'm not drinking it, the crappy stuff will do.

For me... not an issue. If I want to tie one on, cooking wine will not be my downfall... but everyone is different and some folk can't have anything around that is a trigger...

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

This would not be a problem for me. The stuff I buy is awful and I get it at the grocery store, so I'm not sure how high the alcohol content even is. I should qualify that by saying you can't buy any type of beer or liquor in grocery stores in PA.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Zenstyle;1487702 wrote: I have cooking wine that is so awful, not even your seasoned alkie would give it a shot!!!

Personally, I don't know how NOT to cook with wine. I was a Chef and it's engrained in me to cook that way. So I have awful wine in the house for cooking... I used to use really good stuff but if I'm not drinking it, the crappy stuff will do.

For me... not an issue. If I want to tie one on, cooking wine will not be my downfall... but everyone is different and some folk can't have anything around that is a trigger...
        Thank you
        The cooking wine (sake) actually is sitting in the kitchen next to the soy sauce and mirin and nope there is no temptation there:H

I was also wondering about whether the alcohol disappears in the cooking or not...

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Blossoms;1487704 wrote: Thank you
          The cooking wine (sake) actually is sitting in the kitchen next to the soy sauce and mirin and nope there is no temptation there:H

I was also wondering about whether the alcohol disappears in the cooking or not...
          I think it does. I was reading up on Antabuse and there were some warnings, but they said you should be fine if you use it during cooking as the AL usually burns of. They did say to be careful with AL in baking, though (rum balls, whiskey cake, etc).
          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Yeah, it does disappear... )

If you cook it at a strong enough heat (that produces a "bubble" in the sauce) the alcohol content will burn off...

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Siren136;1487705 wrote: I think it does. I was reading up on Antabuse and there were some warnings, but they said you should be fine if you use it during cooking as the AL usually burns of. They did say to be careful with AL in baking, though (rum balls, whiskey cake, etc).
              I've never taken Antabuse but I would be extra careful... probably my ignorance making me cautious. I know that mouthwash can spike it off... but, then again, some people DRINK mouthwash. Gawd... It may be that *sufficient* amounts of mouthwash spikes it off...

Things to ponder...

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Thankyou so much

I'm considering just grilling the clams tonight and adding a dob of garlic butter to each - but I have other dishes that the wine or sake is an essential part.

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

Hi Bloss! I used to think the same think re alcohol evaporating when you cook with it but the eldest locust saw something on QI and won the point...it doesnt...so heres something I dug up.

Science of Cooking: Ask the Inquisitive Cooks!

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

I also think its like Zen says, what triggers you to go on an all out binge might be totally different to someone else...

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

I never drank cooking wie, but it sounds pretty awful....I'm sure you will be okay, maybe you will even start to associate wine with good food instead of getting drunk? Good luck!

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

myhappyplace;1487715 wrote: Hi Bloss! I used to think the same think re alcohol evaporating when you cook with it but the eldest locust saw something on QI and won the point...it doesnt...so heres something I dug up.

Science of Cooking: Ask the Inquisitive Cooks!

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

I also think its like Zen says, what triggers you to go on an all out binge might be totally different to someone else...
                      Thank you
                      That's really useful information.

Comment

Cooking with alcohol?

in many cases, you can use broth in place of wine; I have never found the use of wine in cooking to cause me any issues at all.
                        In my drinking past, I used to cook every meal with wine. In me, not the food. Don't do it that way any more.
                        BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

Working...
                        X