Has anyone watched the movie Flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished it and boy was it an inspirational one! I cried, I screamed at the TV when he picked up that nip in the hotel room, I laughed with happiness at the ending.

Curious what some others thought of it.

Yipp saw it, it had a few scenes that were bang on for me in active addiction, the drink to steady yourself in the morning to function at all, the overwhelming need for the apparent relief of a drink when your world is falling apart because of the drink, the madness in action!!!! I'm a while off drink now but I could feel the how painful it was for him to throw the drink out, I wondered while watching it if a non alcoholic drinker would have any feeling about those scenes, probably not and there lies the difference...
    "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

Absolutely LOVED the movie
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

A few weeks ago about a dozen of us all watched it around the same time....it's very hard-hitting and accurate. I loved it! The hotel scene made me gasp.
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

As an aviation guy I am very hesitant when it comes to movies involving airplanes, the producers always screw up the details of aviation. But I guess I will watch it maybe this weekend when I get home to see the other side of our business that is a major issue especially for flight crews.
          FT
          AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
          As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Frequent Traveler;1490470 wrote: As an aviation guy I am very hesitant when it comes to movies involving airplanes, the producers always screw up the details of aviation. But I guess I will watch it maybe this weekend when I get home to see the other side of our business that is a major issue especially for flight crews.
            FT

You will have to "let go" a little of being too critical about the aviation aspect of the movie. Its sort of "cheesy" what happens to the plane, and the pilots actions are not exactly even possible.

The "aviation" part of the movie is not really the main focus....more so the struggles that people with AL problems face.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend the movie, especially to people with AL issues
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

i went in not knowing what to expect and it was about 2 months after i started going to AA...needless to say, it hit home and i cried in the theater, as did my husband. poignant and gripping, and hey, denzel washington isn't too hard on the eyes (even his old butt that we got to see).
              10-06-2012

Comment

The control the booze had over him was the most difficult part for me to watch, i was hungover and felt like i was watching myself at times. I watched it and stopped drinking that same day...that was just over 90 days ago true story.

Comment

decided;1490520 wrote: The control the booze had over him was the most difficult part for me to watch, i was hungover and felt like i was watching myself at times. I watched it and stopped drinking that same day...that was just over 90 days ago true story.
                  I felt like the people who made the movie were trying to influence people. I bet they would love to hear stories like yours! Denzel is a non-drinker but I don't know if that has always been the case or if like us, he found the strength to quit.

Congratulations on 3 months of sobriety!! NoSugar

Comment

absolutely loved this movie! the ending when he had to quit lying to himself and owned up to being an alcoholic hit me hard,amazing how much damage control he had with the lawyers and stuff,same as celebs in real life,someone always cleans up their messes
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I loved it and was blown away and I think I cried too.....
                      I remember feeling shame.....and was glad I was sober!!
                      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nelz, your point is very valid and I agree that the movie does address a bigger issue and that is why I will be watching it and with that perspective in view. I have been in the aviation industry since 1978 and I have seen and been part of what my fellow friends mention in this thread.
                        As a professional in the aviation business it just irks me when simple things are missed and leave non aviation members thinking the wrong about aviation and the dedication/ sacrifices etc etc we all deal with each day.
                        Again I am in total agreement with what you say but it's just my side of the business and I do wish it was portrayed a little more correct at times, just my personal pet peeve and in no way meant in any disrespect to anyone on this fantastic site.
                        Alcohol is a HUGE problem in our business, lots of EXCOTICE travel, yea right, long flights, questionable hotels, questionable rest time, questionable countries, on time performance pressure, pressure to take a plane that may have questionable issues (Yes that does happen), time frame pressure to get plane out of inspection on time, limited parts to fix plane depending on where inspection is being performed (USA or ???) and time allotment to get part to plane in time...
                        Anyway I am off my high horse now but this is my expertise (Remember all, we that fix the plane are also required to have a licence by the FAA to fix the plane as the pilot is required to fly it and we take it seriously) and as before with no disrespect to any of our wonderful member and friends I love what I do and love the sight of a plane leaving on time with smiling faces, but I also love the smiles of satisfied customers and safe arrival of any aircraft.
                        Just venting and thanks for allowing me to vent.
                        FT

Comment

FT - Wow, that is interesting (and kinda scary when you think about all the factors involved and what COULD go wrong at anytime...) I haven't flown very much in my life, but I'm always amazed that so many planes take off and land, every hour of every day with no incident. The fact that a metal tube can fly at all boggles this little brain of mine. LOL :H
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Just watched this movie and enjoyed reading all your reactions to it. My wife was the one who told me to watch it since she's the one who had to watch my downward spiral over the past four years or so. Difficult to watch at times since I also lied continuously and drank on the job (who was it that said "why tell the truth when a lie will do?") like the Denzel character. But I'm a better person for watching it, and watching it sober.

Frequent Traveler - my dad was an aviation mechanic on aircraft carriers in the Navy, but he changed careers after retirement and went into healthcare.
                            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Good morning Al,
                              My sister had been suggesting that I change careers also and she is in the healthcare area and is telling me to look there, interesting.
                              I am still planing on seeing that move, maybe this weekend.
                              FT

Comment

Working...
                              X