another brick...why being sober is a better way to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello friends. it has been a while but i wanted to check in and say hi and tell you about an experience i had last night and how it cast another brick in my sober foundation....so i have now been sober a little over 14 months and last night i went to my first concert NOT drinking. i LOVE LOVE live music and drinking and concerts go hand in hand for me. i was devastated at thinking i would never get to party and listen to my favorite band ever again. Last night was my 4th time seeing The Avett Brothers and this time i went sober. first off let me tell you i think i actually had more fun sober than i did when i was drinking!! but the girl i went with is my old party buddy and she still drank anyways which i assured her over and over was just fine with me. These are some things i learned....she asked me a dozen times to hold her beer while she did whatever and that really bothered me so i kept sitting it down on the ground, but what was strange was that i was not tempted to drink it but it was that i was embarrassed to have it in my hand, like i did not even want to be associated with it (though i was the odd woman out because everyone else was partying). i also learned how much fun people watching is when you are the sober one and i also realized how much of your time is concentrated around getting a buzz more so than being about the music and when you aren't going to drink you don't have to deal with the standing in lines for the beers, all the bathroom runs all the thoughts of trying so hard to get drunk to have a good time and dance....but i danced and sung my heart out even without all that...i woke up in the hotel room this morning without a hangover, without an empty wallet, without regret or shame. it was pretty fantastic. i already bought tickets to go to another show but this time i want to go alone because one sad thing i did realize is this friend and i have nothing in common without partying. so the moral to this story is...BEING SOBER IS KIND OF LIKE HAVING A SUPER POWER!!!
    I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
    sober since 2/4/12

Right on Starfairy!

Keep laying those bricks.

G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

awesome
      10-06-2012

Comment

starfairy;1491665 wrote: ...BEING SOBER IS KIND OF LIKE HAVING A SUPER POWER!!!
        Stairfairy...you are a Super HERO in my book! It is gratifying to hear that you are thriving in your AF life. Thanks for posting this...tis highly inspirational and encouraging...and intriguing. I will have to google the Avett Bros!
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

HEY STAR!!!

You are my inspiration! I felt so moved by your story, since we have a lot in common and I nearly got a DUI way back, in the same area. We are both in NC and the fact that I was not taken to jail was a miracle.

You have done so amazingly well and it's great to hear from you here. I love the idea that sobriety is like having a super power. It really is. The power to say no to self-destruction, and that is huge.

So happy for you that you took that situation and turned it completely around. I am so impressed by your journey and you make me want to succeed.

Thank you

Comment

Yay for North Carolina sober girls!!! You DON'T have to have AL to have a good time!! I'm so happy for you! It is an education, isn't it? Don't be a stranger! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Love it! :h

Comment

Just love hearing from you Star!!

I smiled out loud when I read your line about having super powers.....just loved it!!

I totally agree.
                It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                Mother Theresa

Comment

Sounds like North Carolina is the place to be! :h

Yo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Congratulations, Starfairy! that is indeed a major milestone, when you can do something you "used to do" loaded, and enjoy it sober, you really have Uncle AL down on the ground!
                    Way to Go
                    you ROCK!
                    BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

WOW Star, I am SO PROUD of you! I remember well what you went through 14 months ago...and to hear you now is just amazing! Keep it up my friend!!

Love,
                      K9
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Lovely ! Keep up the good work ♥
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

It's wonderful to be so clear headed that we can see alcohol for what it really is. Along with unhealthy people whom we no longer choose to have in our lives. I call this healthy growth, good decision making.

This growth may lead to opportunities that might just make our dreams come alive. If were willing to continue to be proactive in pursuing them.

You have been thru a lot on this journey. Have been able to maintain a good attitude through the hard times, most days. May you be sprinkled with fairy dust & good fortune in the future. Enjoy your music, it's good for the soul! :l

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more! Loved ready your post.

Comment

Working...
                            X