Giving something back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving something back?

Someone asked me the other day what I got from being on this site. It got me thinking About whether there was something that I should or could give back....

But I'm not sure what. All I seem to do is waffle on in the army thread or send a few pms if someone is struggling. I have little to offer apart from words of support. In some respect I feel a bit hopeless really

So what can people like me give to others? I'd happily be someone's sober buddy, friend, accountable person. But I'd never offer that to an individual without being asked. I'm not very forthright in that respect. A little shy, despite the bravado.

Be interested to hear from anyone on their thoughts. I find it really weird that I don't feel helpful to anyone when I have the benefit of over 2 years sobriety, and a good few struggles along the way

Much love p3
    I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Giving something back?

I'm like you Pingu ,I feel others give much better advice than I could, so I limit myself to the odd encouragment post or smart arsed comment.So i dont feel very helpful either but am glad to be here.
    AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Giving something back?

The simple fact that you are both here, both sober and showing us newer folk that life can be lived free from the booze, is encouragement enough for me

Comment

Giving something back?

Sometimes when I read posts by people like you guys I think, wow, how cool. They are just talking with their friends about regular life, not fretting about alcohol... It will be great to be like that someday... It is something to aim for!

So, you are helping!

Comment

Giving something back?

Yeah, I feel like that too. I think I have deleted more posts than I have ever posted. I'm not sure what that's about, but trying to work on it.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Giving something back?

Firstly I think by being here to inspire the likes of us newbies you are giving something back, you are providing inspiration for people who need proof that you can be sober and happy. You are there when you're needed, and that's what counts.

For me, my way of giving back is not directly through mwo - I use my art to make money for a drug addiction charity in seattle, its my way of giving back both to a music community and the addict community.
            I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Giving something back?

Spend time in the Newbie's Nest and give support to those struggling. Just a kind, encouraging word works miracles. There are a few long-timers there and I'm sure they get burnt out occasionally. It's great that you want to give more back.
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Giving something back?

I know what you mean Pingu. I often feel like I should give more back since this placed helped me get sober. We can only really say what worked for us, the rest is up to the person who wants to get there. The thing that works for me is "no drinking no matter what" and fake it til you make it. Whatever it takes to not drink thats what you have to do. Meds, counseling, AA, reading and posting here. I have done them all. Whatever it takes. I take daily action to stay sober. The best advice I can give anyone here is to keep trying.
                AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Giving something back?

PIngu, you've been a friend to me! I have pmed you about things and you have always pmed me straight back, and it was wonderful to meet you here in dublin, you are an inspiration to me x

Comment

Giving something back?

limers;1491952 wrote: PIngu, you've been a friend to me! I have pmed you about things and you have always pmed me straight back, and it was wonderful to meet you here in dublin, you are an inspiration to me x
                    Aww thx hunni, I wasn't fishin for compliments, just genuinely interested in how to offer more.

I think the less outgoing of us do find it hard to venture into the newbies nest, or speak forth about how we did it. But if a friendly face and a bit of inspiration works for some people then that's great....
                    I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Giving something back?

I think everyone here contributes "something" to the group. We all offer advice, and advice when it is all boiled down is really just an opinion. Not everyone learns at the same rate or learns by just one persons example.

Thats what makes a place like this so great....the ability to cherry pick, and use, the information or ideas that are thrown around. So I shun that notion that anyone here does not have something to give back. You may post something someday that is exactly what another member was looking for and not even know it

I say keep on keepin on, and lets just fight this insidious beast together, and as others have said, seeing long term abstainers does reinforce the fact that we can beat AL
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Giving something back?

Yes!
                        Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Giving something back?

Thank you all for being my friends
                          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
                          X