Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please

Hi
    I really need some advice. I am now on day 11. Until yesterday I have had no problems being AF (that's this time). I haven't gone more that 2 or 3 days for around 7 years without drinking 'til I'm drunk.
    On day 9 I even went out for dinner with my family to celebrate my eldest sons 21st and my youngest daughters 10th birthdays and drank orange juice, that was really the first pangs, but I thought fair enough. But last night the cravings were so strong, I can see this isn't going to be as easy as I thought. Also I've been sleeping so well until last night. I have now been up since 1.00am, It's now around 2.30 am our time in Oz, and I just need to know, does it get easier, if so when? Is there a specific day that the cravings start to diminish.
    My husband's still drinking (he hasn't a problem) He opens a bottle of wine which will last him 3-4 days. Which means there is always an open bottle of wine in my face, I'm finding that so hard.
    Alison

Advice Please

Overit, hang in there, it is different for all of us, we are all here for you xx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Advice Please

Overit, are you taking any of the supplements? That might help the physical craving part and make is easier to deal with the mental part. I hope it gets better for you soon.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Advice Please

Overit,

Great job on the 9 days... It does get easier in most cases, for some it appears to always be a struggle. I found with each day the victory gave me more strength for the next day...and you must just look at it by the moment or else its over whelming.

Work on your resolve..in your own mind. Have a plan... My wife and in-laws (who live with us) and most of the families drink every day. It is very hard to be around it but that does get easier. Now they know I'm having water or tea and don't offer me alcohol. Just this weekend a family member came to visit and brought me a bottle of Vodka, I told them thanks, but I don't indulge in that anymore...that stuff was killing me....and that was that.

Have a plan, use the AF days to build your confidence and strength, understand in your own mind why you will not drink, or how much and keep making that decision as each moment comes up...

Good job...& Blessing to you!
        Control the Mind

Comment

Advice Please

Hi Lushy
          I have tried taking the supplements in my past efforts, I found them not to be effective. I was following the instructions and taking the kudzu one or two three times a day. I have everything apart from the topa which I'm not interested in taking. Is there a better way to take the sups that works in which case I'll give them another go?
          Alison

Comment

Advice Please

For what it's worth...

For what it's worth I find that what works for me is when I get a sort of detachment from the wine. I am fortunate insofar as my husband has agreed not to drink at home whilst I'm trying to be AF. However, we do infact have a couple of bottles in the house which I could crack and drink, but I (thus far) haven't. For me, its a question of whether I start to fantasize about the taste and effect of the wine, or if I nip fantasies in the bud and don't even go there. At the moment I'm not. I just sort of detatch and tell myself "wine isn't for me". Although I don't agree with AA (for myself at least) I do think the one day at a time thing helps too. I tell myself that I'm not giving in for today but that it'll still be there tomorrow if I want it then. I'm on day 10 AF and would dearly love a drink, but I don't think I'd like the feelings of failure I'd have tommorrow.
            Don't know if that helps. Hope it does.
            Victoria

Comment

Advice Please

I have found the combination of the CDs and the kudzu/l-glut (especially around 4:00 in the afternoon when I usually like to have a glass of wine) really helps. Did you buy the kudzu from this site? There is really no comparison. And I take 9-10 of them throughout the day, with the biggest dose being in the afternoon (usually take four of them then). Don't know if maybe upping that dose might help you.
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Advice Please

Overit, Have you tried using L-glutamine? That really seems to help me. I take an extra cap of it if I go out (also take it first thing every morning)

I've heard you can actually break the cap & pour it directly under your tongue, if ya have really strong cravings that hit ...
                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Advice Please

Hi overit,
                  It does get easier, well, it did for me.
                  It used to be a nightly battle but it's eased a lot.
                  I've never had any problem sleeping, though I do get the weirdest, vivid dreams, which I actually enjoy.
                  I have heard a lot of good things about Kudzu. May be worth a try.

Comment

Advice Please

Overit,
                    Hang in there. I like the L Glut too. The CD's are something new for me. I started listening to them when I went to bed and even though I am sleeping they seem to be really working. I wish you the best!
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Advice Please

Overit

You have done so well for 9 days or 10 days now - and it shows that you can do it. What I find strange is somedays the cravings are non existent or so slight I can push them aside when other days they are so large and overwhelming.

I sit and close my eyes and tell myself over and over "this will pass" "this will pass" or the CD's work for me and it does pass because it is all pschological and we convince ourselves " I need a drink" when we actually want a drink rather like a chocolate or cake and we can override these triggers but it is not easy.

Keep taking the supplements even if you think they are not working they may improve your symptoms you just not be taking enough. Fight the battle on 2 fronts psychologically and physically and NO MERCY!!!!

Love S

Comment

Advice Please

Hi Alison

as hubby doesnt have "an issue " with drink why not get him on board with you for a while??

Maybe he needs to lose a few pounds or get fit?/
                        i too had the same problem..my hubbby likes a beer in the evenings but He agreed to give it up for my goal of 40 days...for Lent as did my close girl friend

.That really helped me no end... I am so grateful and I feel so much closer to him as I know he has done this for me not himself..how noble!!

What i would say is that He doesnt think i have a problem with booze ..he thinks i just beat myself up. However in my head i know i do have a problem as when I tried to cut down i found i was looking forward to the next drink ..ie i wont drink until the weekend...then i would count the days!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I dont have a drink problem then why did i drink... I dont count the days until i have the next soda water??? or the next chinese take away.

so for me alison having a goal really helped and having the support of hubby is amazing..we are both on day DAY 38(we started just before LENT) anfd its great not to see hubby drinking.

We are getting fitter too and settling down to this AF time.

Dont know what is next for me...whether i will moderate ...or try to?? At present fancy that idea but scared in case i cant.

I feel pleased to have been alcohol free for this time to give myself a break and to get my confidence back and look the world in the eye.

good Luck and maybe ask hubby to join you AF for 30 days and see where you go after that??
                        Thats my suggestion and it worked for me so you never know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards Cassy

Comment

Working...
                        X