What a difference a year makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi to those who don't know me. I'm pingupurplepants and I stopped a daily vodka and wine addiction exactly two years and one month ago.

I remember the day clearly. I crawled into my doctors, in tears, and handed her a letter saying I was miserable and felt like shit. She was pretty unsupportive, handed me some ADs, and told me to go away and cut down on pouring vodka down my neck.

That was the kick I needed. I knew in my heart I was drinking too much but I denied ever having a problem. After all if I wanted to stop for a period of time, I could. At least that's what I told myself. BUt looking back on it, I never had a single day without a drink (more like several) for about 3 years prior to that date.

I never intended to quit for good. I thought if I could do a week or two, get my head clear, then I would be OK to have another go at sensible drinking. I used the willpower method. That's all. I just refused to pick up that first drink because I knew once I started I knew I wouldn't stop. I had got into a cycle of drinking every night, taking sleep aids to sleep, sleeping like shit, waking up with a headache, and doing it all again day after day. The times I started drinking got earlier and earlier, sometimes as soon as I got in from school if I knew I didn't have to go out again. I declined social functions and meetings if I knew I wouldn't be able to drink. My head and body were totally fucked up.

It has not been an easy journey. As time went by, I discovered this site, originally intending to get some advice about controlling drinking. Yet something inside made me feel uneasy about trying again. I talked endlessly to a few people, blogged my thoughts, and the weeks and months of alcohol free living stacked up. Each month was a new challenge, and I gave myself treats and made a big fuss (quietly in my own little world) to celebrate the fact I'd reached another milestone. I became very introvert without alcohol, and felt uncomfortable and down right miserable at social functions. Everyone around me still drank. They called me dull and boring. It felt horrible. But still I carried on.

When I hit a year and had a mega happy dance, afterwards, I was confused. Do I have another go or do I carry on with this hermit like existence. I knew the answer in the bottom of my heart was that AF life was the only way to go, but I was still unhappy inside. I missed drinking and the high it gave me. I started to forget all the shit that went with it.

A year and a month (this day last year) after quitting I felt really low. I spent the next few months having a massive internal battle with myself. Nothing seemed to make any sense. I didn't know what to do. I tried AA which turned out to be a disaster. I tried keeping a journal and I started a scrap book with print outs of quotes and advice from people on here.

Something clicked for me last Winter. I am not sure what. I think it was progressive, I mean I didn't wake up one morning and think I'm cool now. But slowly the fog lifted and I started to find a personality and confidence I hadn't felt since I had been drinking. And slowly it became OK for me to not drink, I felt OK being out with other drinkers, I didn't resent it like I did before. I had much more good times and much less wobbles...

So, why bother to post this? Well I met some lovely people in Dublin last week, at various stages of the journey, and they got me thinking about how to give back. I'm crap with individual advice. And someone on here said just by living you are showing people that there is a way without alcohol in your life

It took a long long time, and it is still a work in progress, but if reading this helps anyone then it was worth writing it down

Much love
    P3
    x
    (cello player and level 3 skater!!!):l
    I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Wow Pingu! Awesome story...I am so proud of you! Thanks for posting, it really helps to read success stories like yours. Keep up the great work!!! :h
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Job well done!
      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

How effective was the journal for you ?
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

MonaCat;1492378 wrote: How effective was the journal for you ?
          I'm not sure TBH

It allowed me to write down stuff when I was feeling rational, and let out emotions when I needed to. And I did read back when I had drinking thoughts and it reminded me all the good reasons why I shouldn't
          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

Comment

Pings - well done on 2yrs and a month

Thankyou for sharing your story:l

What i find particularly helpful is how you describe feeling low after being one yr AF and slowly how the fog lifted to where you are today Ive heard others talk of this fog and how it lifted after differing lengths of time.

What all you longer-termers maybe dont realise is that by reading and hearing this it gives me strength to hang-on for that bit longer. There have been many times where Ive felt like crap and thought whats the point in abstaining when Im not seeing/feeling benefits.
            You guys here have trod that road ahead of me and shared your thoughts and experiences and it has given me strength to abstain and hope that things will get better in time, just need to develop my skills of patience!

So thankyou Pings and all those who share their experience xx

Comment

Sorry meant to say also, long-termers show that yes life is life- not a bed of roses all the time, and that dealing with family issues, unemployment, financial stress, grief etc.. can all be survived without turning to a bottle of poison.

Comment

Thanks for your post and thoughts Pingu. Its inspiring to hear like yours and may be give me and others the strength to go further when the times get tough and not give in to the cravings and inner voice urging me on. xxx.

Comment

Thanks Pingu.....lovely thoughts and so helpful
                  I am still in the "angry" phrase at times that people around me, especially my husband, are "allowed" to drink.....
                  after reading your post I know I will get fine with it eventually...
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Pingu-
                    Excellent Post! I might suggest you copy it over and place it in the "just starting out" thread, so some of the newcomers can see that this is not an overnight issue, it does take time to come clean and live it well.
                    Very good story, really clear! I hope it helps you to write it, as well as help others to read it.
                    BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

OH BHOG, will do
                      Now I'm baring my soul, this is a page from my journal written early last summer, another of my frequent will I won't I battles. Sorry about the language and frankness of this page, it's the way I am. I find it did help to write this stuff down, so when I was having an inner battle I just re-read what I'd written and somehow it helped make more sense
                      And yeah MB I was angry for ages, that's only just gone away recently. Why can't I drink, and everyone else can. It really pissed me off.
                      And I've not gone into the first few weeks of quitting, but suffice to say it was horrible, the withdrawals were just horrendous. I was literally climbing the walls every evening at around 5. I had to distract myself in any way possible. THat's how I got through...
                      Anyway here's my soul...

Comment

Brave of you to share Pingu, well done.
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Pingu. Agree with KT very brave to share your journal. :goodjob:
                          It could be worse, I could be filing.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Great thread Pingu! It is bound to strike a chord with some and I can certainly relate to the still feeling like crap, especially physically. And, yeah, the problems don't magically disappear when you stop drinking, it's just that you're able to manage them sober. My first quit, the disappointment of life not magically improving is what tripped me up.

Yep, it was brave posting an excerpt from your journal, but I think it will be very handy for people to see.

Comment

pingu..you are now on my hero list babe!!
                              I have a journal full of stuff I have copied from here and other places, but I don't write in it
                              you have beautful handwriting, btw
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                              X