Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one and I'm new.

Hi all.
    After months/years of vacillation I've taken the decision today to stop drinking - at least for a month, but ideally, permanently. It didn't come after a particularly bad night or hangover. It just feels like the last straw - I write, so work from home, and today I realised that every monday for months, I have been basically unable to write effectively due to the effects of the weekend. I've had it - can't keep going like this if I want to achieve the goals I have in place for this year.
    I am also coming up for forty, and it is time. So, this is the first time I've sought formal help - I live in Spain and they aren't big on alcoholics anon here, so you guys might be the closest I can get. I just know that I haven't been able to manage this by myself before, so maybe this time, I will stay off the sauce. I do very much hope so. Noor

Day one and I'm new.

welcome to mwo noor,its a great place to be,lots of support and advice here,read around a bit,ask questions,and just stick around,its great you are ready to quit drinking,make it happen
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Thankyou for the welcome.
      I have a question: second on my goal setting list is quitting smoking. Do you think it is viable to do both at the same time?

I decided to post my goals below - with some details omitted in the name of anonymity! I just think it might help me stay accountable. I tend toward being very private and keeping goals etc to myself - but let's face it, that isn't working at the moment, so time for something different.

Stop drinking: immediately
      Stop smoking: immediately
      Finish web site: this week
      Finish 4th non-fiction under contract: end of May
      Finish historical fiction under contract: end of June
      Finish 1st thriller September
      Buy house December this year
      Lose ten kilos: by August

Any thoughts, advice, or anything at all, would be really appreciated. I am ready to succeed and need to move on straight away.

Enough now.

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

hi again noor,alot of people on the site have quit drinking and smoking at the same time which makes sense,get all the withdrawals and habits with both outta the way,im working on the smoking but dang i really like it,how gross but true! your goals for the year sound great,you can do it
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

WOW NOOR

Welcome, and that's an impressive list of goals! I would say the goal for the alcohol part is best approached as a onr day at a time concept.

I can relate to the funky Mondays. Such a waste. All of us here can relate actually. And you are young! No better time than now. I wish I had quit at 40!

The Newbies Nest is great. You can find a lot of support and encouragement here and not a bit of judgement.

I hope to hear more from you! Hang in there

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Thanks Ann for writing. I've gone onto the newbies section and posted there...I think I will need to post a lot for a few days as I am feeling particularly low - as I suppose most do when they first turn up here.

I don't plan to stuff this up though. I have had enough of feeling as low as I have been, and if I don't get these books done, I will never forgive myself.

Thanks again.

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Hi Noor, my advice would be to take one habit at a time but I was a social smoker who smoked whilsts drinking do naturally it reduced dramatically when I quit the booze, now I like one a day after kids gone to bed, my treat I suppose.
              If your on lots a day then sooner you quit the better, don't put pressure on yourself though.
              Good luck xx
              AF since 2nd Oct 2012
              Day by day

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Hi, Noor,

Welcome! You sound like you have a plan, and that's been important for me. I like that you've listed your goals. You'll find folks here who will help you stay accountable. I'd vote for you to see how stopping drinking goes before you tackle the cigs, but it's just my thought.

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Thanks for these responses.

I am tackling both at once at the moment since I feel really rubbish at present and like I don't want cigs in my life either - also I think the cigarettes seem to stimulate my lust for alcohol, so will try for now at least to do without either.
                  Not doing so well today after a rough night of sweats, paranoia etc, posted in the newbies nest about it; feel fairly filthy in my body, as if it will never recover, although I know it will eventually. Not a nice feeling emotionally or physically though.
                  Anyway. All this is old stuff and sure you've all heard it a million times before, so I will shut up and get on with getting better....thanks again.

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Hi Noor, I know all about the sweats and poor sleep. I've just come out on the other side of it and feel pretty good when I wake up now. I sleep all through the night, which is just unheard of for me.

You said about the weather not being great - how about taking 20 minutes and just doing some stretching? Stretching all your muscles will bring oxygen into them and will energize you.
                    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Good advice Siren, and taking it. Thanks

Comment

Day one and I'm new.

Welcome Noor.

I wish I had quit alcohol and cigarettes at the same time. It can be done and was by my quit buddy Allan. Go for it.

Remember these first 5 days are rough. Be kind and patient with yourself. Drink plenty of water with lemon and eat well and fill your stomach. Low blood sugar gets mistaken for craving.

I wish you courage and patience......this is doable, one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                        X