Tips on remaining AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on remaining AF

Thought I would look over a few old threads before I go to bed sober and ran across this one which made me think "This could still be useful today". So I am reposting this today to help everyone out. If you can think of things to add to the list, feel free to.

Quitting drinking can be difficult and I thought that I would post a list of what you all can find useful (I know there is a similar thread out there somewhere, but I know its been a while ago so figured I would do this)

1. Make a pro/con list of drinking and staying sober.
    2. List the reason(s) that you quit or want to quit and have them with you when you crave.
    3. Have a plan in place for when you crave (take a walk, suck on candy etc.)
    4. Post here before drinking. In quit net they have the 3 post rule when people want a smoke and feel that they are going to crave, and it can work in quitting drinking.
    5. For the first month, don't even think about moderating, after the first 30 days if you feel that you can moderate then set up a plan to do so, however most people here choose or can't moderate. If you have doubts in moderation then don't even go there. Only go there if you are sure that you can do it and with no doubts.
    6. Have a plan to remain sober for now and for the future, but only consecrate on one day at a time ODAAT.
    7. Most members can't do it on the first go (they try mod., they aren't ready, their plan may not be set etc) but there are those that can quit on the first go, so don't automatically think that a newbie will fail the first time. And if you are on try 1 there is nothing in stone saying that this will not work.
    8. If you fall off the wagon, jump right back on. The longer you wait, the tougher the jump will be. Don't worry if you fail over and over, just make a new plan and keep changing it till you find one that works.
    9. Support others. Helping others out can in turn help you out plus your support group will grow.
    10. When your months/years sober don't forget how you got this far and remind yourself to keep at it, know that you can always come here for the good and hard times.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Tips on remaining AF

Thanks Drifty. Much appreciated.

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

I read your list and have come away with one or two new points like: just because it took me four years of trying and failing does not mean that someone new here will fail at first try. I have to stop almost assuming "Oh he's new; he'll relapse". Good point. The other point that resonates with me is when one drinks while trying to abstain, to come right back and try again. I lost so many weeks and month just saying to myself "You are a loser, you failed, now drink yourself to death." Never again; too self-destructive.

Thanks, Drifty. And congratulations on two glorious years of abstinence.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

Gratitude is the most important. I am so grateful that every day I enjoy activities and accomplishments that would have been impeeded by alcohol. It is a great joy now to live every day.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

I agree Sunbeam ~ gratitude is everything

Congrats Drifty! You are closing in on 2 AF years, wonderful!!!!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

Once in a great while....I read a post that is just pure Awesome. This one is such a post, and deserving IMO of

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2107760=7268-attachment.jpg[/img]
            Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

Hi Drifty!! so good to see you. Excellent post!
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

thanks for posting this
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Tips on remaining AF

Thanks Drifty for reinforcing the things that are most important in helping us stay sober.
                  R4L
                  Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Working...
                  X