Don't take your sobriety for granted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I am at nearly 2 years af and I had a moment tonight that reminded me to not take my sobriety for granted. I was at the gas station with my mom getting af drinks during our walk and I saw a nascar schedule and the beer pictured was a Budweiser and that was the main beer for me back when I was drinking. For a moment, I wanted to have one, but I was able to redirect my thinking and I knew what would happen if I had one (that and I didn't have any money and mom only had enough money for the af drinks). I thought of you all and God and then a hangover and then the wanting stopped. I don't get these moments very often anymore (just once in a while) but that made me grateful that I was sober, and I reminded myself tonight to never take my sobriety for granted because too many people do that and wind up drinking again. Now I am sober and proud of it. No waking up with regrets and another day 1 for this lady. So please never take your sobriety for granted because the day you do that, could be the start of your fall and before you know it, your back to day 1.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Congratulations on the nearly two years - an inspiration to those of us just starting out.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Thanks Drifty, and well done. Just shows we have to be vigilant all the time! :goodjob::goodjob:

Comment

Thanks drifty , your so correct , I myself could not face waking up hungover again and being back on day 1 , the scary thought is that it could be years before I ever got back into the right frame of mind again to even start on day 1 is the most scariest .

That s not going to happen, sober is cool .
        Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Thank you, Drifty. I realized early on that this time, I can never let my guard down. Ever.
          February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Perfect Drifty,
            I travel a lot for my job and see exactly what you are referring to that make me really appreciate this site and the people that are here. I personally agree that the thought of waking up in a fog and loosing a day or probably two does not appeal to me.
            Tanks for that reminder.
            FT
            AF with a few speed bumps during 2014 & 2015 but will succeed.
            As of 4/12/2014 I have not smoked at all and feel great.

Comment

Drifty, Congratulations on your 2years!! Thank you so much for posting that - I'm 1 year AF (yesterday!) and whilst alcohol no longer has a hold on me, I will never forget that it would just take 1 drink...and all that hard earned sobriety would be wiped out. xx
              AF since 9 May 2012
              Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Here here Drifty

That same daym thing happens to me once in a while as well. Just goes to show ya, we can never let our guard down, cuz that no good, slimy, life wrecker, AL is ALLLLLWAYS ready to be our friend again
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

No good, slimy life wrecker is a great way to describe it. Thanks Drifty for the post, we don't have to be a sucker for the marketing of the poison anymore.
                  2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Drifty, great post! It happens to me from time to time, too. I think that is what is so powerful about this site and our participation on here...we see daily what one drink will do to us! Thank you for posting this...and continued success! Can't wait to help you celebrate 2 years here shortly! XXOO, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

DriftyAlison0;1503706 wrote: Here I am at nearly 2 years af and I had a moment tonight that reminded me to not take my sobriety for granted. I was at the gas station with my mom getting af drinks during our walk and I saw a nascar schedule and the beer pictured was a Budweiser and that was the main beer for me back when I was drinking. For a moment, I wanted to have one, but I was able to redirect my thinking and I knew what would happen if I had one (that and I didn't have any money and mom only had enough money for the af drinks). I thought of you all and God and then a hangover and then the wanting stopped. I don't get these moments very often anymore (just once in a while) but that made me grateful that I was sober, and I reminded myself tonight to never take my sobriety for granted because too many people do that and wind up drinking again. Now I am sober and proud of it. No waking up with regrets and another day 1 for this lady. So please never take your sobriety for granted because the day you do that, could be the start of your fall and before you know it, your back to day 1.
                      Great to know drifty,
                      Still your intellect is working. If this stop working people decide directly to go for drinking as you automatically stop car while driving ,you dont use your intellect.You go for drinking its a really a re-programming of mind.
                      Cheesr for your intellect mind.
                      Dix
                      A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

2 years, wow awesome! what a huge inspiration!

Just shy of 60 days for me. I had a dream last night I was having some martinis (I never drank those??) Was pissed at myself the whole time I was drinking during the dream. Woke up and realized I didnt have a hangover, didnt wonder what I did or said last night, and had myself a HUGE sigh of relief!

Powerful stuff the mind.

Comment

Rip557;1504215 wrote: 2 years, wow awesome! what a huge inspiration!

Just shy of 60 days for me. I had a dream last night I was having some martinis (I never drank those??) Was pissed at myself the whole time I was drinking during the dream. Woke up and realized I didnt have a hangover, didnt wonder what I did or said last night, and had myself a HUGE sigh of relief!

Powerful stuff the mind.
                          LOL, been there done that! And yes, such a HUGE relief to wake up.....and sober :H
                          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
                          X