Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scandinavian comes back from vacation, that almost ended in disaster from the start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
    As Robin Williams said, we violate our standards faster than we can lower them.
    Excellent quote and you are so right about how one can go to crazy extents of rationalizing. Drove over to my first AA meeting and no-one was there. They don't keep the list real current so am sure they disbanded some time ago. Will try another area in 45 min. Wish me luck. Feel the need to meet *real* non-drinking folks I can develop a friendship with as well as the online friends here.

Addy (All done drinking...Yes!)
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Well that definitely got my attention. Whatever the circumstances, obviously drinking on a vacation is not an option. Better figure out what the %^&$ I want to do in Hawaii.

Comment

Early on in my final and forever quit, I faced a trifecta of drinking triggers - our big old bbq partay, a destination wedding and a vacation. As I recall, I had just a week or so of accidental sobriety under my belt. I had actually gotten to the point, where I couldn't even get a DAY 1 - so when I was too sick to drink after a big Friday night binge, I ended up getting that first one as an unexpected start. Yet, even with a rough detox barely in the rearview mirror, I wasn't sure I would survive the big three triggers looming.

I'd like to say it was easy. It wasn't. But I not only survived - I end up thriving on these challenges. In a way, I turned the idea of meeting those FIRST challenges into a bit of a game. I spent time visualizing myself successfully getting through the events. I made detailed plans to deal with scenarios (drink pushers and toasts, etc) and had plenty of healthy alternatives to sip on. Most of all I had my internal mantra: I no longer drink....no matter what!
        I especially I told myself that even when I felt like drinking...no matter what.

Triggers and cravings are inevitable and should be expected. Healing the brain takes some time and concerted effort. But who says it can't be a little fun? Tackling the cravings with hand-to-hand craving-crushing combat is actually quite satisfying. Imagine - instead of feeling guilt and shame for caving, you'll experience the opposite - pride and confidence. Each little and big success also gives your brain the good pings that it is seeking. Win-win-win!
        Last edited by Turnagain; July 23, 2015, 05:37 PM.
        Sober for the Revolution!
        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Good point, Turn. Although I love the peace I have now, I miss the challenges of the beginning - and the good hits to my brain when I succeeded. The more this can be seen as an opportunity and adventure, the easier and more rewarding it can be.

Comment

Re: Scandinavian comes back from vacation, that almost ended in disaster from the sta

Bump
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
            X