smoking is getting out of control now... I HATE IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know from lots of new friends here that smoke... that their intake has increased since abstaining or moderating their alcohol. I'm one of them, however this smoking is getting out of control now... I HATE IT. Whilst my mind gets better through no alcohol my body is feeling worse with more fags!!!!!:upset:

I know lots of you have also successfully given up the yukki habit! I'm going to search the web for some ideas to help me stop smoking but would sure appreciate any tips from those of you here who have successfully quit!
    A BushBaby with Attitude

Hi Elizabeth,
    I can't really help you as I stopped smoking way back in 1989. But, it seems that we are substituting smoking for the decrease in alcohol, and something to do with our hands. I ate like crazy when I stopped smoking and piled on the pounds. Oh, and increased my alcohol intake as well.
    I guess part of the trick is to want to stop smoking as much as you want to stop drinking. But, why not give your body a little more time to adjust to no alcohol, then try cutting back on the smokes. You're trying to stop taking into your body so many highly addictive agents, and your body doesn't like being deprived of its drugs. Here's where you have to be smarter than your body.
    I went to smokenders. It was expensive, but gee it was fantastic. A six week program and I have never smoked since! Hope this helps.
    Rags.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

I smoked for 35 years and for the last few years of that I was on at least 20 a day... I tried all ways to stop, none of them were any good until I watched a programme on TV about hypnotherapy and smoking.. It was pretty amazing, so I decided to give it a go..

I had a two hour session with a hypnotist, now I assumed I would go right out, you know, just fall asleep and then wake up when it was all over... Not so, I lay there with my eyes closed but I could have opened them at any time and walked out of there... So I'm relaxed in this chair thinking to myself, " this isn't working, I'm going to get some cigarettes when I finish here "... Well, after the hypnosis I got all the way home and realised I hadn't even thought about a cigarette, which was amazing...

That was 8 years ago and I haven't had a cigarette in all that time, now and again I get a very small craving when something triggers it off but these are easily ignored.. So it worked for me, why don't you think about giving it a go... The secret is though, as with alcohol, you have to want to do it, not for the sake of other people, but for you, because deep down it is what you want for yourself..

I wish you luck,
      Love, Louise xxx
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Hi all, I too am a smoker am scunnered with it. The smell, the expense, the unsocialness (is that a word?), but most of all the control it has over me, I HAVE to have my faggy, in fact it is the thought of my first coffee and first smoke that hauls me out of bed in the mornings. I would go so far as to say that I would walk miles in any weather for a packet of fags, wouldn't do it for food etc but for a faggy yes defo would.

Tried hypno a few years ago without success, don't know if it was because of me (surely not it cost me ?50) or the hypnotist whose kids were running around noisily in the next room and whose wife was screeching at them all the way through.......

Maybe I am just full of fear of the craving to seriously try??

Any tips?

Lorna
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

ELizabeth,have never smoked but all my sister do. My in-laws are 3 pack a day per person smokers. I understand the addiction. I am so highly allergic, when my father-in law visited and could not go outside to smoke. (he's in a wheelchair) I bought him the Nicorete gum. He said it helped a lot is it available where you are? If not I would gladly mail you some. I don't want you to be sober at the expense of your lungs.
          Smiles All day OK?
          Mary

Comment

Nicotine patches worked for me

49 days AF and 49 days no ciggys - great time to give up when you give up the booze - and I feel WONDERFUL!

Cashy
            xxx
            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Don't try to quit two things at once.
              Hypnosis worked beautifully for my son and husband who were both heavy smokers. It was amazing. The gum worked for me many moons ago.
              Anemone

Comment

My friend has just done 50 days of no fags and no booze..she used alan carrs book About quitting fags...also a smoking clinic..nicotine patches as a preparation...Then came day 1 and she tells me she had to go to bed early like 7pm and watch tv, read anything except smoke for a week or so until she felt a little stronger.

depends if you smoke all day or if there are trigger times??Dont think there is any easy way..as cutiing down never worked for any of the many many smokers i have ever known

.I gave up as a new years bet/ resolution 13 years back ..with this same friend(she obviously took it back up again)..Again I have a bit of a competitive streak which i hadnt realised until then!!!

now same driend is doing 40 days AF for lent...well actually we started a bit before..I think I am on day 44 and she is on 50..so i reached my goal of 40 days.

Not Ready or strong enough to try moderating yet as maybe its not a possible option for me..dont know yet..But for now enjoying my alcohol and fag free life(but cant quite say never again with the wine!)These habits are a pain ..they take years to build up and forever to break!!! or it seems that way..

good luck

Cassy

Comment

I, too, am in the process of stopping smoking. There's is a book that may be of some help, it's by Allen Carr, "Easy Way To Stop Smoking." Reading that coupled with a drug called Chantix may increase chances of stopping permanently. Let me know if you need anything . . . I know it's SO hard to do this, but it can be done. Good Luck!

Comment

I absolutely agree that I've smoked more since moderating, but I don't think I could handle trying to quit two things at once. Someday (soon I hope) when I get a handle on my drinking, I definitely plan on quitting. After an evening of smoking relentlessly, I end up with such a hungover feeling in the morning. I don't want to feel hungover--especially when I'm not drinking!

Julie

Comment

Working...
                    X