800 calories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800 calories

I have read that a bottle of wine equals 800 calories ! How many of your calories come from booze. So does this mean we get skinny in sobriety ?
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

800 calories

Sadly it is not that simple.

Recent research has shown that when we drink on an empty stomach the detox process prevents the calorie absorption unless we eat carbs after. This is why a lot of alcoholics are thin.

When we quit the biochemical pathways damaged by alcohol repair, plus we tend to overeat as a distraction ......so initially many people gain weight.

It personally took four months before my metabolism righted itself and weight started to go. I have dropped 14kg with little effort, but did gain 2kg in the first month sober, so overall 12 kg.

Comment

800 calories

Thank you Kuya.
      What about that beer belly ?
      Meow-Meow
      MonaKitty

Comment

800 calories

Hi Mona

The beer belly goes away when the beer goes-LOL.
        Any body fat is the same no matter where it is deposited. Healthful eating and exercise should work

Comment

800 calories

Visceral fat

There are many good reasons to try to get rid of the fat that accumulates around the belly, whether due to eating patterns or to consuming AL. It presents metabolic problems not associated with the unloved but probably not dangerous, subcutaneous fat:

Belly fat in women: Taking — and keeping — it off - MayoClinic.com.

Although this article is about women, the risks of excess visceral fat apply to both sexes.

Comment

800 calories

Well, I was gonna say what Ku said....(NOT! I'm not that smart!!)

When I first quit, I ate everything that wasn't nailed down so I gained 3 pounds the first month or so. Then after about 3 months, I began losing and over the first 9 months I had lost 13 pounds (16 considering the 3 I put on). I was bummed because everyone else kept talking about how much weight he/she had lost...and I was GAINING! It just took some time, but it did start dropping off and I certainly didn't eat any less!!
            Hope that helps, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

800 calories

I drank 2-3 bottles of wine a night, and I was fat! I have lost 45 lbs in 6 moths by working out for at least an hour a day and keeping track of everything I eat. just stopping the wine doesn't do much, you gotta burn it off.
              10-06-2012

Comment

800 calories

MonaCat;1510120 wrote: Thank you Kuya.
                What about that beer belly ?
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

800 calories

Great information ! Thanks you all for sharing. Although I could have done with out the graphics techie....that is so scary. If that doesn't scare someone into sobriety...not sure what would !
                  Meow-Meow
                  MonaKitty

Comment

800 calories

I lost weight almost right away....about 20 pounds, but my work started ramping up at the same time that I quit

Overall I for sure lost weight.....face area....spare tire....but I still have a slight beer belly.

I blame that on the 10,000 brownies a day I eat now...............:H

If you figure 10 beers a night and 100 calories a beer on avg...........thats a LOT of empty calories
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

800 calories

I always lose weight when I stop drinking as a third or more of my calorie intake comes from beer each day, when I stop I end up eating a pretty normal balanced diet, maybe a treat in the evenings if I'm craving something - but for me definitely it makes a huge difference
                      I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

800 calories

Weight loss is very motivating to stop drinking !
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

800 calories

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how hungry I get when wasted....yikes !
                          Meow-Meow
                          MonaKitty

Comment

800 calories

MonaCat;1510684 wrote: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how hungry I get when wasted....yikes !
                            This is the point I made originally ......if you ONLY drink, you will be thin. If you starve then drink then eat you will be a fat drunk.

The man in that very funny photo you posted would be a typical beer drinker.......12+ beers FOLLOWED by a huge amount of food, often late at night.

I used to be an anorexic drinker, starve, drink, sleep.

In the last fifteen years of drinking I started eating late and piled on 20kg.

Comment

800 calories

kuya;1510691 wrote: This is the point I made originally ......if you ONLY drink, you will be thin. If you starve then drink then eat you will be a fat drunk.

The man in that very funny photo you posted would be a typical beer drinker.......12+ beers FOLLOWED by a huge amount of food, often late at night.

I used to be an anorexic drinker, starve, drink, sleep.

In the last fifteen years of drinking I started eating late and piled on 20kg.
                              Thank feck KY you have the science behind it.
                              I drank a bottle of wine a night - but then like you in recent years ate afterward to curtail the alcohol consumption.
                              Have lost a piddling 7lbs in the last 4 months AF :upset:
                              That's with watching my diet and tough gym workouts 4 times a week.
                              But hey ho I will be patient and keep trucking !!

Comment

Working...
                              X