Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More thoughts about school for an 'old person'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More thoughts about school for an 'old person'.

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my thread last week about "51 and going back to school". I really appreciate all of your input from the bottom of my heart!

I had an appointment with a school career counselor on Tues., May 28. WOW. She really took her time with me. I had a 5:30 appt., and when I got back to my car, it was 7:10. THIS time, she was older than me by several years. A couple of years ago I met with a school counselor who was really young, and who, in several ways, described occupations that I "couldn't get into" because of my age. I should be the last person who is prejudiced by age, but trust me, I don't want Doogie Howser as my gynecologist.

Teaching keeps coming up in my head as my 'final career hurrah' (except possibly for teaching ESL in Ecuador and writing novels in my retirement). My field is graphic design, but I love English, art, and music, and I have taught before as a corporate trainer.

I'm thinking to myself, "Why would anyone want to hire a 55 year old at a school as a 'greenhorn'?" My Counselor told me that "age is only a number." True, but still...

So I got to thinkin'. If I am a broken-down 55 year old (by the time I get my Bachelor's Degree), why WOULD anyone want to hire me? BUT! If I'm a vivacious, healthy 55 year old?you know, like those folks you see in the arthritis meds ads or CERTAINLY the women who apparently only go skydiving or kayaking when they're having their period?why should age be a debilitating factor?

Your two cents, please!

:thanks:
    "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward
Working...
X