Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA

Hi!

I am just wondering how many have been working AA. I am also wondering about people's successes or 'non-succeesses', and any advice for newcomers.

For the last couple weeks I've really been reading up on it, when people are successful, they are long term.

Thanks in advance.

AA

Phin;1514476 wrote: Hi!

I am just wondering how many have been working AA. I am also wondering about people's successes or 'non-succeesses', and any advice for newcomers.

For the last couple weeks I've really been reading up on it, when people are successful, they are long term.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Phin. Good to see you.

Are you aware of the AA weekly thread on this site? Here's a link.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ead-77358.html

Meetings can vary in atmosphere/vibe. Some folk find they need to try a few different meetings to find a group they feel more comfortable with.

Best wishes on your journey.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

AA

Thank you so much. I hadn't realized.

Comment

AA

I would join AA if it came down to it. So far my personal plan of exercise, nutrition , MWO and prayer are working so luckly i have not needed AA. Some members here have cited their dislike for AA having to do with the idea of a "high power" involved with the program If that is not an issue, by all means try it. Any means to beat the beast.
        Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

AA

AA wasn't for me, but I can attest that the vibe can really differ from group to group, city to city. It was kinda cool attending a meeting years ago in Sydney Australia—different than my experiences in the U.S.!

When I was active in AA, I lived in Florida, so their overt style of shoving religion down my throat (even though they swear they don't) really turned me off. I often wondered how someone would feel about attending a meeting there if they were Jewish, or Muslim, or any other number of non-Christian faiths.

Check out different meetings...like I say, some groups are a bunch of fun, and I'm sure that there are many (especially in bigger cities) where they pull back on the reins a little on the religion thing, if you aren't into that aspect.
          "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

AA

im an atheist in aa...I take what I need and leave the rest. I have been sober for almost 8 months and nothing else has worked like the fellowship I have in aa. my sponsor is a total Christian, but it's not an issue, we are good friends and confidants, we don't "go there". it is great having support and comraderie of people who know what I am/have gone through.
            10-06-2012

Comment

AA

Hi Phin, if AA doesn't work or it sounds like it's not your cup of tea (I never tried it) you could cheat and try baclofen... worked for me very well and I've been 100% AF since July 2011. I stopped taking baclofen a few months after that without any dismal repercussions. I don't spend any time worrying about alcohol, or fighting any urges - it's just gone, no longer a part of my life. Which is pretty flippin miraculous if you ask me. Of course it doesn't work for everyone... it's a bit of a lottery. Some people suffer more than others and conclude that it just doesn't work. But it's certainly worth investigating if you genuinely intend to change your status as an alcoholic. (There's a whole subsection on this forum about meds, in which baclofen is the dominant topic.)

Anyway, I just wanted to point out an option that is available if the AA thing doesn't work. I wish you luck, however you proceed!

Comment

Working...
              X