Off, On, and Leared Something New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was off the wagon last weekend, back on today (although I played hookey from work because I felt mentally and physically crappy), and came to MWO to let y'all know that I slipped but am back on track today, and learned something new! I was reading a post that Scottishman made, and Kuya provided a link to statistics about alcohol in his region. I checked out the link and wondered what the statistics were for the U.S. Along the way, I found this excerpt [source: CDC.gov]:

Long-Term Health Risks

Over time, excessive alcohol use can lead to the development of chronic diseases, neurological impairments and social problems. These include but are not limited to—

Neurological problems, including dementia, stroke and neuropathy.14, 15
    Cardiovascular problems, including myocardial infarction, cardiomyopathy, atrial fibrillation and hypertension.16
    Psychiatric problems
    , including depression, anxiety, and suicide.17
    Social problems
    , including unemployment, lost productivity, and family problems.18, 19
    Other gastrointestinal problems
    , including pancreatitis and gastritis.23, 24

I have these problems (the italicized ones)! What really
    startled me is that I am presently being treated for an as-yet undiagnosed neurological problem. NO ONE ever suggested that it could be related to AL, even though my doctor knows my battle with it. ACK!
    "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

I remember this this topic! You can do a search on this site, or google 'Alcoholic Neuropathy....it's an eye opener. The fun just never ends with this disease! The good news is that I understand it goes away upon quitting! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
    X