disease or compulsion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disease or compulsion?

what do you wise folks think? is alcoholism a disease or a compulsion?
    10-06-2012

disease or compulsion?

compulsion,no doubt in my mind
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

disease or compulsion?

Both!
      AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

disease or compulsion?

i think theres diseases that make people more prone to alcoholism like,mental issues,pain,etc.but i never could wrap my head around al being a disease
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

disease or compulsion?

I don't know if it is a disease. For me it was definitely a bad habit fed by compulsion to drink. No matter what it is I know I can not drink because I can feel the desire to drink to excess whenever I even entertain the thought of drinking. I know my brain is wired to drink to excess so I can't even have 1.
          AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

disease or compulsion?

My drinking started as the result of Mental Illness many years ago as a young adult. If that was diagnosed and fixed I am not sure if I would have become an alkie. Its a hard one. It became a progressive condition.

Comment

disease or compulsion?

Addiction and nothing else. Why is smoking or injecting heroin not called a disease ? Just an addiction that EVERYONE progresses at different speeds, all that drink are deluded and hooked on it one way or the other.
              Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

disease or compulsion?

For me a compulsion, and an addiction. I do not feel my addiction is to the alcohol as much as It is a means to an end ...if that makes sense.
                Persistence and Failure do not live in the same room !

Comment

disease or compulsion?

It is fairly widely accepted now that alcoholism is a disease.

Comment

disease or compulsion?

Depends on the person

My dad actually was very instrumental in lobbying in DC and got a law passed that treatment of alcoholism be covered by insurance, as it is a disease. That being said, I believe that some of us are problem drinkers vs true alcoholics. Alcohol affects alcoholic at a molecular level and it is processed differently than in non alcoholic people.

By the way I'm new here!! I haven't quit yet but am trying to take steps in that direction! :new:

Comment

disease or compulsion?

I just watched this video on this very subject this weekend and I was very impressed with Dr McCauley and his explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz6-2NwRzE[/video]]Dr. Kevin Mccauley Meth and Other Drug and Alcohol Addiction - YouTube

Comment

disease or compulsion?

hmmm...
                        10-06-2012

Comment

disease or compulsion?

The views of the following are not necessarily the views of Cindi.

However, I kind of got a kick out of one response on a Yahoo forum.
                          no, thanks to the republicans, its considered tough crap for you, and you cant get any medical insurance help for it

(Reagan did that)

EVEN THOUGH the american medical association lists it as a primary disease (primary means it causes itself..as opposed to if it was secondary that would mean its a compulsive disorder that sets up after a period of drinking abusively that you did by CHOICE...but the AMA says no, it isnt the rersult of choice,..,the compulsion starts as sson as any alcohol hits your system, the first time you normally socially have some, a chemical condition sets up which is not your doing, so not your fault

but that doesnt matter to the fox network nazi party, just profit does, and fleecing and blaming the socially weakest people ( like students, alcoholics, sick people. poor people..) so they can do it
                          Source(s):
                          all you can really do is go to AA...and if you need to detox at a hospital, ask the people at AA how to get that done...and but financially(and insurance) forget it..youre on your own, because you fall under the big tent of people republicans popularized as hateable (you know.. "feminazis" and tree huggers and "people on welfare" and etcetrera...hitler had his jews..the republicans had you

your best bet would be to
                          1)look up the family leave act on the internet(though it wont turn out as you want, at least you can see for yourself

then 2) ask your employer (go right to personnel and say you have a problem and want to handle it..youd be surprised how some companies love to help wiith that,.,they may even offer you some help with leave(sick time).or pay for some of the treatment.for you ...youd be surprised

of course it could backfire too, and now they'll know youre a boozer...so feel it out..you have a company handbook?...get one ...read what their policy is...
                          I have to beg to differ that insurance won't help. It has for me. Three times in rehab.

As to whether I think it is a disease or not? Irrelevant. I have it. Whatever "it" is. I'll call "it" ethanolinducedinsanity so I don't have to worry about whether it is a disease or not. I have EII for darned sure!!

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

disease or compulsion?

both

I feel it is a compulsive disorder, hence a combo. Just like the ocd cure, it pays to accept its a disease, a mental one and ignore the urge!

Comment

Working...
                            X