Why did you start to drinK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bcp2013;1518805 wrote: What is TSM,please l'm interested in what you are saying ,thanks
    Hi BCP

TSM is the Sinclair Method, you can find info by googling the name - basically you take Naltrexone which is a drug that blocks endorphins (and opiates) in the brain each time before you drink. Over time you start to lose the link between the high drinking alcohol gives you, your drive to drink and cravings reduce to the point where if you want to drink you can, if you don't you simply don't. There are pros and cons to it but it turned my life around (as you'll see from my signature), before this I did have some abstenance but the cravings drove me potty and back to the booze every time. Oh and it doesn't work for everyone, I was lucky enough to be a quick responder and noticed a difference almost immediately, it also takes patience and some action from the person themselves - like when you get to the point where the physical addiction has gone then you have to recognise and make the choice to break the habit(if that makes sense!).

Here's a link to some info, they've just licenced a similar drug Nalfemene for use in Europe and I think the UK. Sinclair Method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Thanks alot,l was at work so l didn't get your message till now,thanks again ill look into it ,again appreciate your response ,l'm day 73 no meds,doing okay so far,,!

Comment

bcp2013;1518893 wrote: Thanks alot,l was at work so l didn't get your message till now,thanks again ill look into it ,again appreciate your response ,l'm day 73 no meds,doing okay so far,,!
        If you can do it without meds, stick to with it:goodjob:
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I am not sure when I started but it was part of our lives growing up. My parents would have drinks before dinner, wine with dinner, liqueur after dinner. All very proper of course. But I have drank pretty much my whole life and for most of that time on a daily basis I think. I can't remember the last period in my life where I didn't drink steadily.When I was younger there were other drugs too. At least that has stopped. I guess it is easier to pretend it's not a problem when you drink alone at home and all you have to do at the end of the day is stumble up to bed. I don't have a whole lot of embarrassing stories or unsafe moments but the fact that it is a daily habit and that to do without takes enormous effort tells me I can't manage being a social drinker. I have to admit it to myself and commit to quitting forever.
          Newbies Nest
          Toolbox
          My accountability thread

Comment

Why did I start to drink !?! It was to forget ! Forget what !?! Don't know I forgot ! Ha!
            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

I drank socially until my divorce 10 years ago. It was nasty....lot's of drama. I started drinking a glass or two in the evenings to relax and then it turned into a bottle, sometimes a little more. I don't know why I didn't think it was a problem up until a couple of years ago. It really started taking a toll on me. By the time I realized what was happening, it was hard to quit. This is a progressive disease that sneaks up on you. No one ever starts drinking with the intention of becoming an alcoholic. It's a nasty, legalized drug!
              Miley

"The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before a miracle happens..don't give up"
              [COLOR=Magenta]Joyfully AF Since 1/22/14

Comment

I started to drink on New Years eve 2008 and at first it was a couple drinks here and there and once I decided to go all the way to see how being drunk was like, it went from rare occasions to special to every once in awhile to almost every weekend and a couple here and there.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I started drinking after I had my daughter when I was 20. Her father taught me how to drink and maintain as he called it. I got in trouble if I appeared drunk in public, but it was okay if we were alone at home. I learned to drink in private.
                  It was a habit I shared with my husband now. Something in common. Drinking is a social thing to do. It's hardest to break that habit of feeling uncomfortable in social situations without drinking and not knowing what else to do.
                  I got tired of being known as the crazy, drunk, hippie chick. Everything but the drunk part is okay with me. :H
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

i am the youngest of 4. when I was 12 my parents went away for the weekend leaving my older sister in charge. She had a party and they gave me booze. Then I binged until college. In college I drank every night and thought I was hot shit because of it (right). The drinking thereafter ebbed and flowed. got through 2 pregnancies without drinking but after I had my second son, the real drinking began. I was having panic attacks, was not sleeping, 9/11 happened....I was simply and completely overwhelmed working a full time job in NYC 1.5 hours away from my babies. I hated the job, I missed my boys and I had absolutely no time to myself. It was AWFUL. So, the drinking helped east that. Over the next ten years, it slowly went from 2 glasses of wine a night to over a bottle a night. It was very gradual and very very sneaky.
                    I just won't anymore

Comment

I grew up in Wisconsin. It's the culture.
                      Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                      That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                      Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                      Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

I started drinking socially to relax and be more outgoing as iam pretty introverted when sober. I liked the liberating feeling of being able to strike convos with strangers and meeting guys. I drank in excess whenever i did but it wasn't every day. Maybe weekly or bi weekly. On one of these occasions i met someone that i dated for a few weeks and ended up pregnant. Due to selfishness, fear and justifying the pregnancy as a rape, i had an abortion which i tremendously regret. Almost instantaneously my daily beenging started from that point on. The next several years were pure hell....several arrests, my life jusy became unbearable. I never contemplated susicide but i have hoped to die than live in this misery.
                        By the Grace of God iam almost 6 months free today
                        Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Working...
                        X