I read my very 1st post and balled my eyes out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know how long it has been since I've last posted here. But here I am again....with 710 days sober, coming up on my 30th birthday this Friday and 2 years sober next month. All this time has gone by and it kind of feels like I just started yet been so long on this so called journey.

I'm not here to say one way is better then another. I really don't know. Abstaining, personal growth and forgiving myself have helped tremendously. I don't work 12 steps or attend meetings. I haven't been to counseling or therapy sessions since October last year. Being around AL at dinners, BBQ's, gatherings and such has not affected me in any negative way (although I do feel this sense of 'time to leave' feeling when I notice some people are on their way to drunk land. It's almost like an annoyance vibration I feel, not from the actual people but tipsy/drunk in its own)

So many things have happened. I lost an uncle last fall due to...you can call this one...drunk driving. The report said that due to no tire marks its concluded he passed out at the wheel and died instantly. Truck went over a guardrail that he rode along for many yards until over a steep cliff. He wasn't found until a day later. His name is on my back window "In Loving Memory" on my car. I see it every time I look in my rear view mirror and drive that road with the cliff every day. He had a gentle spirit despite his long battle with addiction. I took that death in deep.

How about some positive. I would LOVE to say that I've made a ton of money and travel with my kids on vacations. That hasn't manifested yet I have little money with dreams growing bigger. The most wonderful aspect of where I am at on a personal level is I have established profound goals for my life and without this cloud of doubt, self hate, low esteem and failure hanging over me...there is balance and peace with myself. That right there wells my eyes up with accomplishment. Even knowing there is so much more to attain in my life, I am on the right path.

Maybe its because of the time that has passed without drinking, facing my fears and hitting a very low in myself two years ago has led to this being not a battle anymore but living now. I was so lost and confused. Worn down from my behavior and past relationship. Abused from not only my ex but myself. I've been reflecting on where I was then. Such misery.

Hopefully someone reads this and it ignites hope or something. Liquid lies. I read that in one of my previous posts. That's all it really was going down my throat. Today I face other challenges, although NOTHING compared to what I was delivered from. It really did start by simply making a choice to get help and not back away from it.

So here I am, still a single mother of two children, turning 30 I've chosen not to date this entire time. People have asked why I am still single or don't date. To be honest, I have broken more patterns then just the bottle to my lips. I broke co-dependancy, doubt, unrealistic fear (not a panic attack in over a year and half!), unhealthy men and many other things. It's a great feeling to know my children and I will be adored one day by a worthy man. It took about this long to believe it.

Whatever you do...don't drink
    Force yourself to laugh sometimes
    Breathe deeply
    Forgive yourself and let shame go
    Be ok being miserable sober in the beginning. It's 1000x better then not sober.
    Be honest with yourself
    It's ok to love you despite everything
    You're strongest at your weakest points at times
    "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."-- Judy Garland

Beautiful post Turnaround.

Sounds like you are on your true path.

P.S. I know of a top single bloke here in Australia. One of them one in a million types.........

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Love your post!

Comment

Dear Turn Around, what a wonderful post. Truly inspiring. Thank you.
        Free at Last
        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Turnaround,

Congratulations on two years sober. In MWO terms, you are a double solar orbiter!!

There are many different ways to get sober, AA, MWO support, meds, etc.

Any way that works is very surely the right way.

Many thanks for your post, too. It is important for those newly sober to see not only that it can be done but that it is well worth the effort.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Beautiful post Turn Around!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write that. Hope you will stick around here with us! Here's to a lifetime of sobriety! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Great post Turnaround and well on almost 2 years sober and what you have achieved. It was very inspirational to read and I loved your quotes at the end. I wish you the vey best life has to offer on your journey in life and your children. :l

Comment

Thank you Turnaround. Just thank you.

kambob
                  Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll never wake up wishing you'd drank the night before. (Thank you K9Lover)

Comment

A beautiful post, thanks so much for sharing.
                    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Turn - THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! How wonderful of you to share that. :h:h:h
                      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Beautiful and thoughtful post. You are still so young and have so much time to thrive!

Your story is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing. Well done on 710 Days Sober!!!:clapping2:

All the best, P.
                        "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

awesome :l
                          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

thankyou
                            and congrats on 2yrs

Comment

What a beautiful post. Congrats. You are inspiring
                              February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Working...
                              X