Why do I want to eat and eat and eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 13 days AL and all I can do is eat. When does it stop? I told myself at first I needed a substitution, but I'm really afraid my weight will never come back down. Any thoughts? I feel like staying off the booze is challenge enough right now, but still I don't want to end up all fat and ugly.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

3June2013;1520055 wrote: I'm 13 days AL and all I can do is eat. When does it stop? I told myself at first I needed a substitution, but I'm really afraid my weight will never come back down. Any thoughts? I feel like staying off the booze is challenge enough right now, but still I don't want to end up all fat and ugly.
    Hi 3J

For now it is a good idea to do whatever you want that enables you not to drink - including eating.

Some of your hunger could be simply to replace the calories that used to be provided by AL. Craving sugary foods is very common and relates to the reward system in the brain that got messed up and made you feel compelled to drink even when you didn't want to. Some of it may be just a substitute behavior.

This will straighten out. Most of the many women here in their 40s and 50s have had similar experiences.

I know I deliberately did not eat for several hours before drinking - reversing the low blood sugar made the glass of wine all the more rewarding to my screwed up brain.

Please don't let yourself get hungry - it is a big trigger to drink (and that is one reason I mentioned earlier that all AL should be out of the house - hunger plus available AL can easily result in a bad choice).

Otherwise, you sound like you are doing really well!

Comment

Would you decide to go back to drinking....if you thought it would keep you skinny? Hear yourself say that. Be an person....who understands.....that is not the advice you would give to anyone.

We make all these nonsense ideas to keep us drinking. At first I needed sugar.....but, my cravings gravitated to veggies.

Comment

Nosugar I can't decide what to do with the booze in the house. I can tell my son to take it away and hide it. I can flush whatever he wouldn't drink (there's some old bottles of liqueur, a bottle or rum and a bottle of vodka. I think there's a bottle of some sort of fruity vodka cooler in the fridge. It's the stuff I never really drank that doesn't concern me. The rum and the vodka are the ones that might. I know you're right. I am not sure what part of me is resisting getting rid of it all. My son works in a bar. He isn't a heavy drinker but he has his moments too. My husband doesn't drink. It seems a waste to throw it out, but giving it to my son seems like I am encouraging him to drink it. Are these really all excuses or am I just being cheap? Not sure!
        Sunflower, I'd rather be fat and sober yes. Definitely. I just am afraid because I have gotten really heavy before in my life. Maybe I have an eating disorder too. But no I am not saying I want to drink to be smaller, in fact drinking makes me bigger. I just wish I had control over it all. Now.
        Newbies Nest
        Toolbox
        My accountability thread

Comment

If you add up the $ you have spent on a poison, and drank it, the amount wasted by dumping the AL in your house is going to seem like nothing. Perhaps feeling like you are pouring money down the drain will be another indication to you of your commitment to being AF.

There are some compelling posts about the financial price paid: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ved-73904.html

Comment

Maybe too I am using it as an excuse. There is a certain safety net knowing there is booze in the house. I need to shed that net I think.
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

Hey June,

It's a blood sugar issue with the reduced empty carbs your body is not getting from alcohol. We've all been through it and it's terrible but a necessary, somewhat uncomfortable result of a good decision to quit drinking. Like NoSugar mentioned, please don't allow yourself to get hungry and if you snack go with nuts, carrots, celery and that kind of stuff. It's not going to wreck havoc on the figure but will keep you from making bad food decisions because of low sugar levels. Take care.
              2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

average price of a bottle of wine that I consumed at least daily: $15 (sometimes I drank more, but never less)
                Days sober: 139
                $ saved: AT LEAST $2085
                I just won't anymore

Comment

Ok Ok LOL I get it
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

3 June, Since my quit I have been eating sooooo much. Does it matter? NO. What does matter is I am sober, the weight issue can be dealt with latter. Good Luck

Comment

Hi June and Welcome!
                      :welcome:
                      The gals I have known in 3D did put on weight the first year (they have moved away from AL faster than I have) I definately noticed this because I too have eating disorders- anorexia....and like counting other peoples drinks, I compare myself to other woman..I know...bad habit! :upset:

But then that all seemed to stop and The weight dropped off. I have no idea why and I don't ask. It just seems to be..a natural progression of some sort...

I think you hit on it when mentioning CONTROL... I believe this more than anything else is the key. Having the AL in the house gives me a sense of basic control and, sorry to admit this but a safety net. I know my coping mechanisms suck and I am till trying to take tools out of the tool box and use them well.

The weight is the same thing for me. Control...and sometimes just the Who cares moment.
                      When I started on my journey I too ate everything sight and even stuff i never knew was there :H. But my focus then became exercise along with the constant hunger and eating. I can eat eat eat but I also walk, run go to the gym....for me i am trying to control one part so i can eventually balance it by controlling another...that's my middle ground I'm trying to get to.
                      Does that make sense?
                      Anyway, I'm babbling here. The bottom line is you are in no way alone. I'm right alongside you struggling too. But staying put here, reading and NEVER GIVING UP are the best tools I can use when everything else just look ...we'll..impossible.

Stay close:l
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

The eating is quite normal at this stage due to blood sugar spike. Most alkies are hypoglycemic , as you are withdrawing your body is gonna need the extra sugar that alc supplied. Its temporary though. By week 5 or 6 the eating starts to get back to normal. Raw greens smoothies and black beans are very good for minimizing sugar spikes and they are filling for long periods of time. Due to the high fiber content.
                        Exercise does great job with appetite control. Daily exercise at this point is very important.
                        Liquor in the house is a no no for me. Subconsciously, you are a ware of its presence. All it takes is one strong trigger to reach for it.
                        Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

Thanks lizker, I appreciate your insight. It's good to know by week 5-6 I will stop the sugar madness. I woke up with a major headache and I am thinking it's the sugar. I ride my bike to work 10k and back most days, and I do yoga 4-5 times a week (at home). I will start walking again, last time I got into walking seriously I ended up jogging and lost a ton. Thanks for the push. I am also working on a plan to rid the house of alcohol.
                          Newbies Nest
                          Toolbox
                          My accountability thread

Comment

Hello, 3J

Here are some older threads concerning sugar and alcohol intakes that you might find interesting:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f4...iac-46089.html
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...who-70446.html
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ake-74986.html

Once you on sure AL-free footing, reducing or eliminating sugar can be very beneficial.

I hope you are having a good day!

Comment

Thanks again NoSugar, I woke up with a huge headache I'm sure it was all the sugar I ate last night. Seems a little unfair but it is what it is. One step at a time!
                              Newbies Nest
                              Toolbox
                              My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                              X