Why do I want to eat and eat and eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UGH this reality is just setting in. I guess it's my next task. But if I look at it like AL, ignore the cravings and look forward to a healthier life and feeling better in my body then it's worth it right? I think the headaches I am getting now are from sugar.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

I guess that's what the high is with endorphins then right? It is a healthier high. Hmm
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

3June2013;1524753 wrote: because I am getting sick of saying NO..
        I'm starting to get used to it!

First gluten, many years ago, then sugar/sugary carbs a couple years ago, then last but definitely not least: BIG AL!!!
        I should've kicked him out of my life a long time ago. I'm trying to foster the 'better late than never' attitude and move on...

Let me know if you want any more depressing links -- I've got a lot of them :H .

Comment

NoSugar;1524778 wrote: I'm starting to get used to it!

First gluten, many years ago, then sugar/sugary carbs a couple years ago, then last but definitely not least: BIG AL!!!
          I should've kicked him out of my life a long time ago. I'm trying to foster the 'better late than never' attitude and move on...

Let me know if you want any more depressing links -- I've got a lot of them :H .
          I can so relate!!! Last night in my hotel room (I'm traveling for work) I just CRAVED something sweet. I ordered a piece of chocolate cake with a scoop of ice cream from room service. I felt so guilty - but at the same time - I thought at least it's not a bottle of wine...

I have been working out - but the sugar thing has got to stop...!!

Comment

Hey, 3June, Congratulations on achieving 30 days! It isn't an easy thing to do but you almost made it look that way .

I 'started over' at age 54, too, and now that I'm 55, feel younger than I did at some points in my 40s -- what a gift!

I was reading more about the alcohol/sugar association and came across this in The Fix: Why Alcoholics Crave Sweets | The Fix.

Comment

Thanks NS! You have been so much help through this, I really appreciate that you take the time to respond and share your experiences with me. I started back on Weight Watchers today. I figure the worst of the AL withdrawal is over so now it's time to work on the diet.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

Thanks Judy! I understand the cause now the hurdle is to ditch the sugar nd refined carbs. Seems like I am always battling demons!
                Newbies Nest
                Toolbox
                My accountability thread

Comment

Thanks NS! Here's a link that gives some ideas on sugar detox for anyone interested.

Sugar Addiction Escape Plan: 10 steps to control sugar cravings | First Ourselves
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

This is from the above link. Things you need to heal.

1. Physical distance from sugar.

The first layer ? or step ? is to create a base level of physical, brain and body healing from sugar.

If you?re sugar sensitive, and you want to stop bingeing on sugar, you probably need to minimize your sugar intake in order to be free from cravings. This step, combined with eating regular meals of whole, healthy foods (many of us who have sugar cravings also have low or volatile blood sugar), heals your brain chemistry. On a brain level, you?re not wanting the sugar so much.

In Overcoming Sugar Addiction, I explain how I found this level of physical healing. I outline exactly how I did it so you can feel reassured and guided by someone who?s been there. I hope this will help you find your abstinence.

During this ?detox? phase, supplements can help ? especially in the first week when the sugar cravings are very strong. Dr. Julia Ross offers suggestions on how to use supplements in her books The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure.

2. Emotional distance from sugar.

And yet abstinence isn?t enough to stay off sugar for good. (I learned this lesson the hard way!) In order to heal sugar addiction at the root, we have to heal and soothe the emotional brain. We need to soothe ourselves emotionally without food ? any food.

This is important because life is dynamic and unpredictable. Without this level of emotional healing, when life gets stressful, we go back to sugar or turn to another coping mechanism ? like overeating non sugar foods ? to soothe ourselves.

I created the growing human(kind)ness therapy to soothe the emotional brain and create this deep level of healing. You can learn more about applying this therapy to sugar in the workbook Overcoming Sugar Addiction for Life.

3. Belonging ? safety, support and love.

I know that the thought of giving up sugar feels terrifying and impossible ? overwhelming, too, as our culture is surrounded by sugar. That?s why you need support. You need the voice of someone who?s been there, as well as the voice of someone who?s traveling the same path, so you can feel reassured when you?re feeling discouraged or afraid.

You also need care, belonging, and deep listening. In my experience, many of us who are struggling with overeating are attached to food. Food represents unconditional love and nourishment ? our ?mother? ? as well as belonging ? safety. In order to let go of the food ? the sugar ? we need to attach to something else. We need to feel belonging, unconditional love, and nourishment with people. First with ourselves, and also with others.

Do you have people in your life who offer belonging? Do you offer yourself belonging ? unconditional love and acceptance?

Other sources of support:

We offer free forums to talk with others who are trying to heal a habit of sugar bingeing.

4. Recognizing that this is a process, not an event.

I so wish I could give you a tool that bada bing! would make all your cravings permanently disappear. But I care, and because I care, I need to be honest.

Mindful, conscious eating is a process, a practice. To stay sugar free, we need to be mindful about what we?re eating. This doesn?t mean being obsessive or neurotic about food. It does mean finding awareness and paying attention.

For example, if you find yourself justifying why you can indulge in a sugar treat now and then because you?re ?fixed,? stop and question this thinking.

If you find yourself craving sugar, look closely at your diet. Are you sneaking in hidden sugars or simple, processed carbs? Are you skipping meals? Are you experiencing any health problems that can be contributing to your cravings?

One of the biggest roadblocks for me is continual, ongoing acceptance. Healing from sugar means that I have to keep doing the things that keep me sugar free ? those things that honor my sugar sensitive brain chemistry and keep it healthy and whole. If I don?t eat regularly, if I start eating lots of processed food, if I skip meals, I?m going to crave sugar ? which can lead me right back into it.

I think of healing more akin to putting gas in your car ? something you do over and over again ? rather than fixing a broken muffler ? something you do once and then it?s done. It?s the only way I know how to do this long term.

I don?t always love being sugar free. I accept times when I resist eating this way; I know it?s not personal. We all feel this way!

At the same time, I try to open my heart to even this ? a different way of eating than the way many people eat. I try to embrace my sugar abstinence as love in action, as a way to honor and love and care for myself, the tender human being that is me.
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                    X