Profound Posts from our Eloquent Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has a post ever touched the essence of your soul? Has a member ever replied with a profound wisdom that resonated with you? Can your success or succession of good days be credited to something posted here? If so, I am asking you to repost those words here (even if you have to re-type them).

I think it would be so beneficial for all of us to have a thread dedicated to posts (whether anonymous or not) that have truly resonated with the feelings, struggles, tools, etc. that are our reality as problem drinkers.

Any takers?
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Oh goodness there have been so many! I think this is a great idea!

Now I have some homework to do
    AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Many of these have been preserved on the tool box thread.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

This may be a silly question but where is the tool box? I see links to it in members posts, is it a sticky thread?
        AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Hi, Red67

The link is below the line in my post. There is good stuff there! NS

Comment

Red, yes, it is a sticky under Monthly Abstinence.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

This is one which has always resonated with me on my journey and current situation...
              I have a book I keep with all my favorite posts?
              Great idea for a Thread!! :h

HERE'S THE POST...
              ------------------------------

There's been a little talk on the AF daily thread about fleeting thoughts of wanting to try to drink moderately. It got me thinking.

I am feeling quite good today, on day 18. I feel as though something has clicked, and I am beginning to really feel that I want alcohol out of my life for good. I do still have those fleeting thoughts of wanting to try to drink moderately again. But I have been dismissing them, by thinking rational thoughts, like:

I've tried to moderate for years, and although sometimes I can do it successfully, it is a struggle. Life is easier without that struggle. I don't want the question of "when can I drink again?" to take up mental and emotional space in my life.

Even when I've "succeeded" at drinking in moderation for relatively long stretches of time, I have inevitably had slips. Those slips have led to 1. falling down drunk in front of my child 2. picking fights with my husband 3. calling people and forgetting the next day what I said on the phone. 4.Waking up anxious and scared, and wondering how bad I was the night before.

Even when I drink moderately, alcohol effects my moods, my sleep, my energy level, my outlook and my self-esteem in negative ways. I am prone to depression and anxiety. We all know that alcohol makes those things worse.

I am a mother. Childhood is short. I don't want to miss anything.

I've been lucky that my drinking has never led to anyone being physically hurt. It could. If I never drink again, I will never have to live with the horror of that.

Even though I am not certain that my drinking problem would inevitably progress (because over the last 20 years it has ebbed and flowed, risen and fallen so many times, without getting "progressively worse") I am not willing to take the chance that it could get significantly worse, and that then I might do real damage to myself or someone else.

I love my kids more than I love getting buzzed. I'm a better mother when I don't drink. Sometimes I've thought that I was more patient or more fun with my children when I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. I don't believe that anymore. I may have felt better. But I was a little too silly, a little disinhibited. And sometimes I'd snap. I'd snap with irritation, and then wonder if it was because of the alcohol, and feel guilty. Now, sober, if I snap, I can figure out whether or not to feel guilty on the basis of what's happened, and not automatically feel guilty, seeing myself as a drunk.

Sometimes I want to drink to better tolerate the things that annoy me about my husband. I've decided I want to learn other ways to handle that...To talk to him, or take a break from him, or talk to a friend, or come here...Not to blunt and blur my feelings with two or three glasses of wine.

Some people seem to drink in a way that's "normal" and not unhealthy. They drink to enhance a meal or a moment, and not to run away from reality. I'm not one of those people. I have always been someone who drank away tension, anxiety or sadness. I have come to believe that someone like me, who has used alcohol that way for so many years, just isn't a good candidate for moderate, or "social" drinking.

I never want to go through the first week of sobriety again. I hated the moodiness, the cravings, the feeling of being at a loss. It went away, and I don't want it back.

I am happier now than I remember being for a long, long time. And it's only been 18 days alcohol free! I'm ready to break the cycle, of trying moderation again, over-doing it just enough to get depressed and anxious, and then drinking more to try and escape those feelings.

I think I'm done.
              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Wish I could credit the source.......but whoever told me to redirect the AL brain, and tell it.........I dont drink

One of my biggest motivating factors
                Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Since I started this, I have to dig deep too. I have been moved to tears on numerous occasions.
                  Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Great thread tipplerette I will have to do some searching.
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

This is one of my favourites:

=================================================

I replied to a post the other day for someone who wanted to stop drinking but they were feeling apprehensive about it...
                      I told them that now they had dipped their toe in the water, not to be afraid to jump in as there would be many hands waiting to catch them…Well that got me thinking, and I think there is a comparision to be made between all of us here at MWO and a busy day at the local swimming pool…So here goes….
                      Pretend you are sitting high up in the viewing gallery and as you look down you can see everything…

Lets start at the shallow end, here you have the non-swimmer, the new ones, who are on their first or second visit….they stand there, scared to take their feet off the bottom, frightened to trust in themselves in case they can’t make it and end up drowning…..Some of them don’t realise the lifeguards will rush to help them in any emergency, they forget they can ask the more experienced swimmers for help at any time….For some its all too much as they look towards the deep end of the pool far away in the distance and think “ No I can’t do it, I’ll never be able to swim that far, I’ll be out of my depth “…Completely forgetting that those swimmers they can see in the distance, diving in, swimming and generally having a good time had once stood where they are now, consumed with the same feelings of fear and inadequacy…So some of them go home, never to return…

The ones who stay, a few of them may decide to sit on the side of the pool just long enough to gather their courage to perhaps have another go…And then a well meaning relative or friend may come up and give them a push into the water thinking they are helping…That never works, you have to decide for yourself when you are ready to get into the water and lift your feet off the bottom…So they opt out as well…

The last few who are left, who decided to give it a go, they are the ones who have the confidence to lift their feet, make the first few strokes…Sometimes they don’t quite get it right and disappear under the water for a few seconds, but they bob up again, coughing and spluttering….Another few give up at this stage because they think its getting too difficult and they will never make it…

Then we come to the ones who think its worth another try…They are the ones who realise they can’t do this properly on their own so they ask for and are given help….For some, it will be one to one swimming lessons, for others a pair of water wings or a float will do, but its only until they get used to swimming on their own and it becomes part of there normal routine…

Gradually as time goes on these novice swimmers can be seen swimming further and further down the pool, starting to gain confidence and a belief in themselves that their goal is attainable…Where they once thought “ This is too difficult, I’m going to fail “ they now look back at the shallow end and think “ Why was I so scared?, I can do this “…Then the magic, when they look forward and realise the deep end of the pool is almost within reach….

And then we come to the deep end, here people are diving in from the high board, doing back flips off the side, swimming across the pool underwater, filled with confidence not fear, knowing that what they are able to do now is achievable, with practice, by anyone….After all, don’t forget, they were once standing at the shallow end themselves, scared to take their feet off the bottom….

So if this is your first visit to this swimming pool, and you are standing in the shallow end, frightened and shivering, overwhelmed by it all, look down towards the deep end by all means, but don’t be intimidated by the distance you will have to swim to get there…Enjoy the shallow end, splash around, lift your feet off the bottom now and then, watch your confidence grow, and one day when you reach the deep end you will look back and be amazed at the distance you have travelled……

I have just re-read this and it made me realise the distance I have swum….My very first post on here consisted of one line!!!!! Which read,
                      “ Yes, help me please, I love the taste of alcohol, but I desperately want to cut down on my drinking “…
                      Now I am looking over my shoulder at the distance I have travelled, and I know that the deep end where all the hard work pays off and the good life begins is getting nearer and nearer each day….
                      Keep Sober, Love from Louise xxxx
                      Last edited by irishlady : 01-15-2007 at 05:59 AM.
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

A very inspiring thread...thanks xx

Comment

Working...
                        X