Haven't been on in a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been awhile since I've been on. Overall I've been managing very well AF. I had a slip up a few weeks ago. Thought I could just have one glass of wine and we all know how that ended. I then decided not to beat myself up about it and just continue on. I am feeling hopeful that I can do this and am just taking it one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. I feel so good when I'm sober, I don't know why I would ever want to drink? Reading all the posts really does help. So maybe I'm not posting, but I am reading!

Hi, LizAnne

You seem to be having some success by reading a lot and posting a bit. If your goal is never to drink again, you might find that by posting more and really engaging here, you can take the last few steps to an AF life .

An online forum can work, as shown by the numerous successes here, but Kuya did the numbers and found an association between the frequency of posting and success. There is a woman here, 3June2013, who is an MWO whirling dervish with ~20 posts per day. She went from hoping to cut down to never wanting to drink that sh*t again in less than 3 weeks!

There likely are people who succeed by reading but we don't know their stories. So, we have to go with the data at hand and they indicate that the more you post, the quicker and more completely you can be free!

I hope to get to know you better. :h NS

Comment

So I guess I'm still just trying to figure out how this posting stuff works. People really want to know my story? That's a new concept for me for sure. I glad posting 20 times a day helped her, but I guess I'm just a little shy. I have been sober for almost four months now. Thanks for advice. I'm going to try it!:thanks:

Comment

Posting does help and yes, we all want to hear your story. I have been here since 2007. When I login daily, post some, and engage, I stay sober. It works. (BTW, I was Brittzak, I cant remember my darn password so I became luvuall)

Comment

We want to know you because then we can better help you (we aren't really that nosy :H!).

I started making real progress when I dropped the shields I had in place, wrote things in posts and PMs that were very difficult and embarrassing, cried a lot, and just kept coming back for more.

If you have been essentially AF for 4 months, you have much of the hard work done. It seems like maintaining sobriety takes work, too - just a different kind. Engaging with people who understand you is one way to do it. If you belong to AA, you go to meetings. If you do it via an online forum, you read and post. Plus, you can help others with what has worked for you these 4 months .

Comment

Hi Lizann and welcome back! I think NS gave you some great advice. I found by putting my thoughts into words I saw myself more clearly. If I can be totally honest here I am being totally honest with myself. This thread could be your accountability thread. I have a thread and half the time I am the only one posting there (sort of like talking to myself lol) I like to go back and read my earlier posts and see when and where I changed and how I progressed. I started out hoping I could moderate and soon realized that I've already tried that. It didn't work for me. I am an all or nothing kind of drinker. I'm 24 days AF now for the first time in probably 40 years. I am still eating a little more than I should, and I tend to overdo the AF punch at parties but all in all I am healthier than ever. And happier too. Take your time and read what's out there, little by little maybe you can open up to us, and to yourself. Hope to hear more from you soon!
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
            X