Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please..my frustration is beyond belief

Hi
    I have been a member here for a very long time but have not posted for a very long time. My frustration with alcohol is beyond belief. I have gone to AA, tried medications to moderate, been here a ton, seen a psychologist with unbelievable experience with problem drinkers, coupled with Antabuse and still struggling!!! Ugh! What the hell else do you suggest i do??
    formerly known as bak310

Lucy! I remember you! I guess its good you are here. I, too, have not been on years for a few years until this week. What I am curious about learning is the progression, as it seems that it does just 'escalate' if we continue past a certain point.

Its good you are trying to catch it. I suspect you will get good advice from your post. I am reading some books are intriguing right now. Recently, I finished the Jerry Vale book and now reading Alan Carr stuff - these guys are a different approach, not against AA, but also not saying 'there is not cure' mentality.

I, for one, have been curious about AA, looked up meeting times, but not sure I want to go in that door.. for me...because I don't want the label. I can admit a problem, but refuse the label. So, this is why I like reading about these other perspectives......maybe something like that will give you some new insight..?

Oh girl, hang on, and hang in here - you will get good help, I know.

Hidden

Comment

Hi Lucy

I remember you too! Sorry that you are still struggling, but at least you are still trying different solutions. I don't know what will work for you, but am sure that, in reading and posting here, you'll find something that will click and stick!

:welcome: Back!

Comment

Keep trying with tweaking your plan till you find something that works. ODAAT.
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

There are many, but This is a good thread here...

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ick-77236.html

Comment

Hi Lucy. I recommend The book The Heart of Addiction. For me it's been kind of life changing.

Comment

Lucy, of course I remember you! I'm very sorry for your situation and I know how long you have struggled.

Maybe its time for surrender. I think joining the Newbies Nest would be very helpful as well as reading the upated Tool Box. There has been so much more research done in the last couple of years.

Are you still in contact with Prestfortime?

I was finally able to get off the roundabout by my diagnosis of hypoglycemia - 7 Days to sobriety spells it out very well and when I started the diet, my cravings went away. Sugar is an absolute enemy for an alcoholic.

Take care friend, and post.

:l
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I remember you lucy! Im sorry yr struggling. As u know there is no quick fix just solid determination and an ability to pick yrself up again and plough on. Remember you hav a choice...you are worth it as the corney hair advert goes! I too joined years ago and have come back as need to read peoples stories which inspire me to keep going. I wish you all positive thoughts and look forward to supporting you if i can. Bella xx

Comment

I agree with the previous post on Newbie's Nest, and especially the Tool Box thread. Every time you cave, go back to the tool box and find another idea to try.

Eating well is also important, though the sugar connection has not been true for me. I eat ice cream most days or some other sweet treat. I love the writings of Matt Stone, especially Eat for Heat which focuses on increasing your metabolism.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Lucy Van Pelt;1527571 wrote: Hi
                    I have been a member here for a very long time but have not posted for a very long time. My frustration with alcohol is beyond belief. I have gone to AA, tried medications to moderate, been here a ton, seen a psychologist with unbelievable experience with problem drinkers, coupled with Antabuse and still struggling!!! Ugh! What the hell else do you suggest i do??
                    Hi, Lucy

You probably have seen all of the great ideas that have been posted all around MWO since you've joined. I'm sorry none of them have worked well for you.

I tried to take as much of a data-driven, scientific approach as I could once I arrived here, which is consistent with my personality and background. Before I joined MWO, I was in the repeated starting over loop. I would be AF for awhile but without a structure and plan, I invariably would cave after some time.

I did a great deal of reading here and on other forums before I began. It seemed that the regular posters who asked a lot of questions, took the giant (and to me, very difficult) step of revealing parts of themselves that they usually hid, made personal connections, and offered support whenever they could, were the ones who were successful. So, one day when I just had finally had it with myself, I joined and decided to behave the way people who successfully quit drinking behaved. So far it has worked and I have no reason to think I will go backwards. But to make sure, I'm sticking with my plan.

Almost all sobriety programs require a very long-term, generally life-long, commitment to that program. For instance, for AA to work, you need to continue to go to meetings. For an online forum to work, you need to regularly and continually read and post.

You mentioned that you read frequently but post much less often. I was writing to a friend yesterday that not posting seems like going to a therapist and just listening. There is no way it is going to work, in my opinion, because the model requires active participation. I know for me, the posting helps solidify my goals.

Several people have personal threads that they commit to posting on daily and it really seems to help. Others are very active in the Newbies Nest - getting and receiving help. Many seem to be parts of communities that have this addiction in common but otherwise are groups of friends enjoying one anothers' company.

Have you tried daily, active participation in one or more of these? Maybe the daily posting would give you the structure you need to succeed. Commit to posting before you drink. Spend the drinking time reading and posting -- you know, all the stuff that already is in the Toolbox.

We would love to have you in the Newbies Nest. Your long-time affiliation with MWO could offer a perspective that rarely is seen there. Plus, I'm convinced that together we can do things that are almost impossible alone.

I'm glad to meet you, Lucy :l, and hope to see you over in the Newbies Nest.

:h NS

Comment

what next?

Hi Lucy,
                      I remember you! You had a different name at the beginning.
                      I agree with Lila that Heart of Addiction may give some profound insights into what you are going through.
                      Do you have other illnesses? Like depression/anxiety/bipolar/PTSD? And if so how are you managing those.
                      Is your life conducive to change? For example, one of the members here had issues with traveling for work a lot and drinking. Are there things about the patterns of your life that you could change? Do you have people in your personal life supporting you?
                      What meds did you try? It seems like a lot of people do well on them.
                      How functional are you right now?

Sorry for all the questions but I think this information might help others help you.
                      Change isn't easy but it's possible.

Comment

How's it going Lucy? Keep reading and posting.....

Best, Hidden

Comment

I too would like to see you over on the newbies nest. I have a goal to post at least once a day. Seeing my resolve right there in black and white has helped so much. :l
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hi Lucy :l

I remember you as well. My only suggestion i what I keep reminding my husband when it seems hopeless with my 14 year old son and his awful behavior. We have to just stick to our plan, stick to our boundaries, say the same fricken thing over and over and over again until his little adolescent ears are open enough to hear us....we simply can not give up even though many times he or I have stormed back to our bedroom saying 'Im Done!!!ullull

But every now and then our son is warm and loving and I see that gorgeous soul peeking through and know I can live to put up with his shit another day... :H?..kidding...but, no I look at him and and I'm ok to keep going, to keep trying. He's my baby boy....
                            You are your own loving, creative soul as well.

Keep going sweetie - we are all here for you...and you have to be back no later than 10 PM or no computer for three days!!!

:l
                            On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                            *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Hi Lucy,
                              I hope you're okay. I sent you a couple of pm's offering my help & I see that quite a few people have posted to you here, but there's been no reply. Hopefully you found some help that you were looking for & are feeling better about your situation.
                              Take care.
                              AF 6 years
                              NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Working...
                              X