Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have got to stop

Hi all
    New to the board. I have/had nearly stopped, but not nearly enough, and it's creeping up again of course. Stopped three years ago for five months, then it crept up though not entirely out of control. Not drinking every night. Most, but not every night. Stopped a few times for two or three weeks, last time was two months ago, but for the last month I'm back to 3 times a week, force myself not to drink two nights running, but I seem to have this ability to down up to 2 bottles of wine, that's 2 x 750cc bottles of white wine, three times a week. Then I am not a pleasant person to be with until I fall asleep. Then I wake up in the morning feeling really terrible, like today, anxious about what my husband is going to say because I know I wasn't too nice to him last night.

I want to stop, but I am lacking the willpower. I know you good people can't make me develop the will power, but I am so darned miserable.

Have got to stop

Hi, Troublecoping

You have come to a great place. Will-power isn't going to work on this problem. It isn't a matter of will. You have to change your thinking about alcohol, your responses to cues, your habits - you have to change your brain!

The information, tools, and support you need are here .

The Newbies Nest is the best place to hang out at the beginning and the Toolbox is full of ideas. Both links are given below.

Hope to see you in the Nest!

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Comment

Have got to stop

Troublecoping, your name is great. I think that's partly why a lot of us drank, we didn't learn good coping mechanisms so we did the next best thing, we avoided coping and learned how to escape. AL then becomes our friend. The hardest thing is to realize that AL really isn't our friend and that we can do a lot better without AL. It just takes time, effort, and patience. One day at a time. Once you decide to give it up life actually becomes easier. No more negotiations, no more hiding, lying, sneaking. No more shame. Give it a try, we're here to help!
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

Have got to stop

Hi troublecoping and welcome!!
        Nosugar is right. It is not a matter of will power at all. It was crucial for me to understand that when I stopped. It is hard at first, but changing your thinking is what needs to happen. I had to figure out a way to deal with the daily stresses of life without AL. Instead of escaping with AL, I had to live through the uncomfortableness of remaining sober at first. But then slowly but surely, I started feeling better and better and better! And I look better too!
        So stick with it and head over to the newbie nest where you will find lots of people in the same shoes as you!!
        I just won't anymore

Comment

Have got to stop

princy;1531250 wrote: Hi.. Actually you were in a good way of sobriety but you need to go a way long to completely stop it.. Because developing the will power itself is a great thing in life which a human mind can not accept. So try to develop it and am not advising you to completely stop drinking.. Drink occasionally and be happy with your husband then you can enjoy the beauty of life in all ways..

omaha dui | omaha dui attorney
          You must be spam cause that is just asinine to suggest to someone who has been struggling with alcohol to "just drink less". Yeah if that was the solution we wouldn't need this site.

THANKS FOR THE NONSENSE SPAMMER!
          AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Have got to stop

Red, I guess a DUI attorney would have us ALL keep drinking! It's great for his business!!! Bloody Hell, what crazy advice! I knew he couldn't be one of us. XO, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Have got to stop

that is exactly why i ignored it
              I just won't anymore

Comment

Have got to stop

troublecoping how are you feeling today?
                Newbies Nest
                Toolbox
                My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                X