'Worrying' rise in alcohol deaths in women in their 30s 40s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone in the UK heard this breaking story this morning?

'Worrying' rise in alcohol-related deaths among women in their 30s and 40s | Society | The Guardian

It's been on the radio and across media in general.

Initial personal reaction was well I'm one of the women born in this era.

On further thought and discussion I'm concerned this is some sort of smokescreen. Looking at the stats OVERALL deaths have increased for both sexes, only reason it's higher proportion for women is that the numbers were lower to start off with. Considering women process alcohol differently, and tend to be more susceptible to the harmful effects it doesn't really go very far.

My other feelings are is this being used to hide the problem, focusing in on women when the real issue is concentrating on understanding and treating alcoholism in both sexes effectively - instead of trying to work out why women in their 30s and 40s are dying. It's also logical that since it takes a while to build up an alcohol problem that this is going to be the age group in which things start to really take effect.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Hi Ukblonde,

I didn't hear the story, but I think you are probably right on. The media depends on advertising for revenue. No matter how impartial they claim to be, they are just another merchant selling a commodity. I wouldn't be surprised if a reporter was forced to tone down a condemnation of alcohol to make it more palatable to their clients who pay big bucks to advertise in the news. Very perceptive of you and thanks for the thought provoking topic.
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Working...
    X