Beer Drinking Champ Dies After Six-Liter Bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From "The Fix" online article. Here's a link to the site (the article was short so I just posted it in its entirety, but you can also see it online).

Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Recovery News | Resources – The Fix

The beer festival has been suspended.
    Photo via
    A newly crowned beer drinking champion died shortly after winning the competition at a beer festival in Murcia, Spain. Joaqu?n Alcaraz Gracia drank six liters of beers in 20 minutes and according to Antonio Alcaraz, who spoke to Spanish newspaper Hoy, "when he won he lifted the trophy. Then he just started to vomit without stopping and he never spoke again." Witness Santiago Garcia says that Gracia "started to vomit in his chair," but had gone into cardiac arrest by the time emergency officials showed up at the scene. Local mayor Jos? Manuel Gracia says the cause of death is still unclear and defended the city's beer festival, saying it was a longstanding tradition in the area. However, activities at the festival have been suspended and local authorities have called for a three-day period of official mourning.

Hhmm
    guess it goes along with bull fighting etc
    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Sam, LOL:H A thrill a minute, eh?

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot the "running of the bulls". Never been to Spain... wonder truly what it is like as I know I'm stereotyping here.
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Not a very glamorous mental image.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

very sad
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Very sad and very lethel these drinking contests. 6 litres in 20 minutes? The guy signed own death cert. I have been to mainland Spain once and some of the islands a few times over the years. I wouldn't attend a bull fight or go to Pamplona where running with the bull is a tradition and lots of people get injured and some have died. Ahh sure doesn't every where have its mad festivals and traditions.

Comment

I was in Spain a month ago and actually was really impressed that despite the availability of AL that public drunkenness was very rare - in fact the only time I saw this was when I saw a group of Brit tourists. And I was not just staying in tourist areas.
                Point being - need to be wary about generalisations for a whole country/nationality - even if there are some stupid competitions. And what drives people to enter these? Not just the AL I think.

Comment

So sad. Wasn't someone on here just talking about going to a beer festival?
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Spain is a brilliant country. The drunks out there are us Brit's.

But for the mayor to say "the cause of death is still unclear" is a bit odd, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                    X