Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Thread Thursday 25th July

Good morning, folksies

An administrative day awaits. Budgets for the new financial year, forecasts for the remainder of the current one. Riveting stuff :upset:

Have a lekker Thursday, everyone!
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Good moaning tips and molls

Been up since 4:30, walked to the end of the lane and back (I'm in training for dog walking ) and done most of the housework. Just need to get the shopping in and then I might try and uproot a few weeds outside. We actually had a little rain last night so the ground might not be quite as rock solid as it has been of late.

Ok...off to catch up on the tail end of yesterdays's thread.

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1536129 wrote: Has Reccie been to the optometrist yet, by the way?
      Yes he has! :goodjob:

Things got off to a slightly inauspicious start when the lady optician fell over backwards and collapsed theatrically into a slightly undignified heap in the corner of the room with books falling on top of her. After that it was pretty much as expected. Basically I've got a lazy eye (one eye doesn’t develop properly and then the brain ignores it) that didn't get picked up in childhood. Anyway my first pair of specs should be ready early next week. I'm quite looking forward to being able to read again.

JackieClaire;1536131 wrote: Think so.

:H:H:H

JackieClaire;1536141 wrote:
      Oh yes.

Is that piddlepants with arsey's boxers? (Sorry arsey!!)

More from me in a bit - want to get to the supermarket before the traffic gets too busy.

Comment

Good morning Tippperoooo, Mollymoo, Reccybear.
        Just inhaling cawffee.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning Mr T, Molls, Reccie, JC.

Moans Molls? Well where do I start...

11. Scottish Newsreaders

Catriona Shearer - BBC SCotland newsreader who is TOO FUCKING CHIRPY at 6-fucking-am in the morning... it's sickening. It is WRONG. And as for her dresses :egad: ... HORRIFIC ...

12. Truisms

ESPECIALLY THIS ONE: Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.
          One: NO SHIT SHERLOCK... BUT... did nobody ever think that yesterday might have been a mystery - especially to alkies?! :H and today is a gift? A GIFT? An EFFIN FECKIN GIFT? Oh Please... don't. JUST DON'T. Today is NOT a gift. Today is a fact. And it may fuck up in yer face at any point. Or it may be the greatest day of your life. A gift. No it just is.

Comment

And yes it did confirm something I've been thinking for a year or two now - there must be more to life than this - getting up - dealing with Noseyhole and coming home. The grog used blocked it out - now it's back ......
            It's boredom - for want of a better word - so I need now to get my arse up and do SOMETHING WORTHWHILE ......give somthing back.
            Not a clue what .... will wait for inspiration...
            I'm not great at expressing it ... but you get the gist ?
            Yo Doc - jist wanted to say, aye a get the jist completely. One of the musings i was having this morning was how whatever i do or dont do, being AF allows me do things with a bit more clarity - and to not let a befuddled thought process prevent me from doing stuff...

Don;t worry about not having a clue... maybe just think about what MIGHT interest you and do some skiverville research into things and just see what takes a notion... it might even be more Om'ing or summat like that...?

Comment

Morning Runners,
              Volunteering, can't recommend it enough. Not just in Drugs and Alcohol. Saw someone on another thread doing stuff for conservation. I used to be a child mentor.

Shite must away to the orifice, Sir Pee's rattling the car keys.

Bacinalongish bit.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning guys, I just want to start with a big apology to all those at work today, ha , ha, my training has been cancelled whoop! and theres no other duties to do so I've got the day off paid as well and only got 1 hour of paper work to do. I love me new job!
                I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                Audrey Hepburn

Comment

mollyka;1536308 wrote: Laters Jacks --- re. volunteering --- I'm far too selfish for that on an ongoing basis - wouldn't mind a bit of mentoring or facilitating at Aftercare -- but even that would be a selfish thing --- I'd prolly be doing it more for me than others.... not proud of that, but it's a fact...... like getting paid for my job :-(((
                  that's not selfish its Altruisim, nobody does anything for anyone that doesn't help themselves, its just the way the world is. an example of altruisim is : a man intervenes when a woman is being attacked, does he do this because he wants to help the woman? or is it because he couldn't live with his guilt? he answered I couldn't live with the guilt after if she was seriously hurt, so therefore it was essentially 4 himself, even though obviously he cared about her safety, all humans are alike
                  I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
                  Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Morning Jackie, arsey and pinkles.

Great that you've got the day off pinky :goodjob:

Comment

littlepinkcat;1536310 wrote: that's not selfish its Altruisim, nobody does anything for anyone that doesn't help themselves, its just the way the world is. an example of altruisim is : a man intervenes when a woman is being attacked, does he do this because he wants to help the woman? or is it because he couldn't live with his guilt? he answered I couldn't live with the guilt after if she was seriously hurt, so therefore it was essentially 4 himself, even though obviously he cared about her safety, all humans are alike
                      I'm confused... I thought altruism was the act of doing something for others despite oneself? Yer mannie helps the woman is not an act of altrusim if he primarily does to alleviate his own guilt - that's a self-motivated reason for his actions, as opposed to a selfless (even if his action is seen as "good").

I do agree though that the reason volunteering is such a very good thing for many is that it does elicit a sense of well being - a sense of virtuosity - in the person that is doing the volunteering. And you can get drunk on yer own virtuosity (and that's quite good usually). And, importantly, what's more is that one's volunteering helps others as much - if not more than - it helps us make us feel better about ourselves.

So yer mannie who saves the woman from being attacked is virtuous - his motivations are primarily for himself - but not necessarily altrusitic (in terms of TRUE altrusim.... though as i understand it there is also the psychological argument that there can;t be true altrusim as all all "selfless acts" have an intrinsic reward for the actor).

[disclaimer: i am not a psychologist... just a layman... i may be wrong!]

Comment

x-posts all about!!

Roight orf to Glesga for a workshop/rehearsal and to meet an old friend from when i was teenage delinquent for lunch...

see youse all after.... :hallo:

Comment

RunningCourage;1536314 wrote: I'm confused... I thought altruism was the act of doing something for others despite oneself? Yer mannie helps the woman is not an act of altrusim if he primarily does to alleviate his own guilt - that's a self-motivated reason for his actions, as opposed to a selfless (even if his action is seen as "good").

I do agree though that the reason volunteering is such a very good thing for many is that it does elicit a sense of well being - a sense of virtuosity - in the person that is doing the volunteering. And you can get drunk on yer own virtuosity (and that's quite good usually). And, importantly, what's more is that one's volunteering helps others as much - if not more than - it helps us make us feel better about ourselves.

So yer mannie who saves the woman from being attacked is virtuous - his motivations are primarily for himself - but not necessarily altrusitic (in terms of TRUE altrusim.... though as i understand it there is also the psychological argument that there can;t be true altrusim as all all "selfless acts" have an intrinsic reward for the actor).

[disclaimer: i am not a psychologist... just a layman... i may be wrong!]
                          yeah ur right about the way round I got the two mixed up, its early and I haven't had much coffee, lol, but at least I knew what I meant, lol.
                          Audrey Hepburn

Comment

Morning army a lot of deep talk goin on too early for me not long awake and first coffee. Heavy rain and thunder and lightning last night and more to come. It feels a bit humid and and its dull grey skies. Off out later to do some food shopping and bill paying. Have a terrific Thursday. Till later.:wavin::cupajoe:

Comment

Good morning very deep and meaningful conversations here this morning.

I do not think we do anything in life without a payoff. It does not mean that it is particularly wrong to get "something back" from volunteering.

Interrupted by kids!!:l

Comment

Working...
                              X