Pet Food..contamination. Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question. It has been bothering me that the most expensive, and the least have been affected. Are we being dupped into buying the "better" more costly food for our pets? I have not been too worried because ours eat dry food...but still, what is the difference between the Science Diet that we buy, ot the Ol' Roy at WalMart????

its kinda the difference in buying good hot dogs and the ones that have that funky red color to them. the better dog food has less filler in them so the animals are not digesting empty junk.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing myself and I am also afraid everytime I feed my goldens. Last nite I gave them rice, chicken, asparagus and potato all left over of course. Today I am thinking of making rice, chicken thighs and frozen veggies for them. Please do not think I am nuts but I can not imagine poisoning my own dog at this point when my gut instinct is not to trust the manufacturers yet cause they keep adding to the recall list.

Scared Sammys

Comment

I have 5 dogs (including a 140# Golden, Sammy) I have been giving the big boy his Vitality wafers crushed in Iams pouch dog food. That is now on the recall list. I really afraid to feed them anything other than what we eat. They have dry Beneful there is no recall yet. But getting to the point of my story, Ages ago I had a friend who bought only the cheapest liquor. He told he there is no difference between brands that the cheaper ones just bought the overages of the more expensive ones. Seeing this dog food contraversy, I wonder if it's true in everything.
        I mean my husband drives a Mercedes I drive a jeep both are made by Chrysler right? All people get the same wages to put them together. My jeep just cost a whole lot less!
        Have a Great day all

Comment

I have 5 dogs as well...ranging from a german rott that weighs 180olbs., down to my sweet liitle Sarah (shitzu) that weighs 4 lbs...they all eat beneful and are perfectly healthy. The only over-weight one is bear the rott and that is because he must have a pig living inside his belly...HA HA He now gets the "heathy weight" version. The little dogs get the puupy bite version. They all love it!!

Comment

I hate to sound too academic, but I founded and teach in and help to administer a veterinary technology program. Animal nutrition is something I am very interested in and know a little bit about.

The good companies (such as Hills, Eukanuba, Purina) do put an awful lot of research into formulating their foods. The cheap ones don't. A very large percentage of pet illnesses are due to poor nutrition which is the result of feeding our loved ones inadequate food. I don't want to sound like the professor lecturing again, but you wouldn't serve bad food to your children, would you? Stick with the good stuff. You pet will be healthier and happier.

As for the recall, it is something I have been dealing with every day since I work closely with the veterinary medicine community. The best advice we have to give to pet owners right now is to not give any canned food. If your animal is going nuts and must have canned food, then make sure it is organic or at the very least does not contain wheat gluten. Keep an eye on your pet - notice any signs of behavior changes and especially vomiting. If your pet is vomiting, take him or her in for a urinalysis and blood wheel right away.

We so love our animal friends. They give us so much. Let's all try to take care of them.

Sorry if I get a little bit carried away on this subject. Forgive me.
            Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Along with what Mags said, I was feeding my cats cheaper foods, thinking they were the same, then I came across a website online that rated pet foods, turned out the more expensive brands (not all of them) contained more healthy and full products (meat, not fillers) and the cheaper products...not all of them, vice versa. There are less expensive pet foods that contain good things, such a purina, but most of the cheaper end products, are full of cheap fullers which will shorten the life span of your pet and cause more health problems.

As far as the recall...yes there were two brands made at the same plant..one was really cheap, and one was expensive...but in researching the two brands, there was nothing suggesting that they were the same exact food, only that they were manufactured at the same plant using the same supply of contaminated ingredients.

That is what I found...hope it helps.

Victoria
              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Can't help but think, when I was kid, we fed our dogs scraps of our food. They lived a long time. I supplement my dogs and cats diet with human food.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

Over where I live, cats chase mice, ha, ha, ha ;-)) And dogs chase cats ;-)))) And humans chase, no, better don't tell you that story, otherwise you won't visit, grin ...
                  Paddy
                  Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Yes, this pet food business is a bummer. I often cook chicken and rice for my dogs, or buy beef heart and liver - they gobble it down so fast it has to be better than the canned. If I have time I will brown off a whole bunch of ground turkey or ground beef freeze it in baggies and feed them that.

Although I use Pedigree and it's not on the recall list, I really prefer to feed them my own cooked food and it takes such little time, since you don't have to season it, etc.

I had started them on the raw food diet a month ago but husband didn't agree so I stopped it.

I often poach chicken when it's on sale too, shred it and give them that with some dry kibble.

Let's keep our loved one's healthy without corporations.

Love to all the sweet pets out there.:h
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                    X