Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF 3 weeks + 2 days and am so blown away ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...by this MWO program! It is just amazing!! I absolutely LOVE being free from the grips of drinking! I must admit, though, the complete abstinence from alcohol combined with the topa may be contributing to a bit of an "edgy moodiness" in me that is causing my relationship with my boyfriend to be even more precarious than it was with the mood swings my drinking caused. I'm hoping this edginess and moodiness is soon coming to an end. I'm VERY nervous and VERY on edge about a big evening out we have planned tomorrow night. It is a very special occassion that his sister-in-law planned in celebration of he and his brothers having just recently taken over their family business. It is my first time going out to a social event where there will be lots of drinking and toasting and celebrating since being in this program and where I will be NOT be drinking alcohol. I don't think it's the not drinking alcohol that I will find difficult though. I actually think I'm going to rather enjoy that part of it and in fact end up feeling somewhat smug or maybe the better word is more cool. I think what I'm anticipating being difficult is the possible feelings of uneasiness I may make other people feel. Is that crazy or what? Adding to the pressure, these are all the same close friends/family click that witnessed me get black-out angry drunk at a party last December (that turned out to be one of the pinnacle "rock-bottom" points that shoved me towards finding this book as it turns out). So I'm having a lot of trepidation in going to this event tomorrow night but I want to go for my boyfriend's sake and also to show myself that I have the strength and courage as well. Anybody with similar stories out there to share would be so greatly appreciated.

Hello Zoe,
    Great post.
    I have found myself in the same situation a couple of times. I don't look forward to nights out but I feel obliged to go. I've always found it highly satisfying at the end of the night, having navigated my way through the tricky questions etc., to be going home smug/cool/happy.
    Enjoy yourself.
    Well done on the AF front.

Comment

Hi Zoe,
      The first few(hundred ) gatherings are rather nerve racking.Dont worry too much about explaining why your not drinking,it's importent to stay sober.I think you'll find that the people who care for you will understand and be very supportive and those that dont ..you dont need around.Congratulations on your 3 weeks and 2 days.Well done and keep going.
      I'm sure your boyfriend will be very proud of you.We are.
      Good Luck
      Victoria xxooxx

Comment

Hi Zoe, Congratulations on your AF time ....

Yes going out is always difficult, I've started volunteering to drive to take the decision away from me .... Yes like you i've blacked out at parties in the past, I now make a joke of it and say 'I actually want to remember this one' and then I delight in calling everyone the following morning to remind them what THEY did last night like they used to do to me .... that feels REALLY good ...
        sigpicXXX

Comment

I second Betty and Victoria's thoughts on the matter. Don't go around justifying yourself. The Bible already rightfully pointed out not throwing pearls before swine (sorry, it's a bit forceful, but I had to find out the painful way ...). Some people will label you killjoy and 'oh, you're not fun anymore, and bla, bla, bla, bla. Best is to stick to a uniform explanation of you being the driver for the night, and the next day driving everyone insane by calling them up and telling them what they did the night before, ha, ha, ha.

(And by so doing, that should at least give you a powerful ace over those bad tongues that still go on over your black-out angry drunk at a party last December!)
          Paddy
          Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Been there done that! I totally understand. I still avoid siutations that I know I will be tempeted. Zoe, You sound strong and you can do this. Don't be afraid totell people what you are doing, you don't have to explain down to the last detail, just that it's a change your making in regards to your health. The thing that I have noticed most since starting MWO is that I readily admit to everyone now that I only drink 1-2 spritzers and that I was drinking to much before. I would normally never mention my drinking to anyone prior to this: not the "perfect" Mary (perfect only in my own mind while drinking) Most people's response "That's great and good for you" never anything more prying. Hope this helps. But I'm still pretty new here
            Most Importantly
            Have Fun
            Mary

Comment

That's awesome. Good for you. I give you alot of applause. For me-I always feel like they, "the 'phony-in-laws' ", are watching me not drink. They know I have a problem. So I'm the one who always feels weird. I know it's all in my head but my "phony- in- laws" are gossipers.

Awesome for you to have that positive attitude & it's always great at the end of the party to come home with peace of mind that you did it. Have a great time!
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Sea, I will trade you the phony-in-laws for the crazy-in-laws. I think I may be getting the better deal. But I really have a hard time what type of woman would feed a breast feeding Mom cabbage. Colicky baby anyone? And Betty you are starting to rival Barie in the wardrobe dept.
                Smiles
                Mary
                Zoe didn't mean to hi jack your thread, sorry

Comment

Zoe, just wanted to say well done and am so glad this program is working so well for you.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

LOL-Simey! I say we all buy them a place in a gated community where we have the key! Let them drive each other insane!
                    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Hey ZOE, you sound like me!! Hey dont fret! I went out for the first time around the same date AF you are going out, and it turned out to be fine, I had built myself up for it, and it turned out to be not big deal. I was also kind of edgy and moody more than normal my first month AF and I am on TOPA as well. For me that went away after about 40-45 days, and I am back to normal and pretty stable mood-wise now. have fun!! And congrats!

Victoria
                      It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Working...
                      X