Army Thread Monday 5th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hewwo troops! Everyone's sounding in fine fettle. )

Not a good one to do a synopsis Mollers... been a bit absent meself over the weekend. Glad you had a good trip... you sound good! )

Are we still doing Moan du Jours cos I gotz one. You know how I sent clothes over to me Ma... well she got a letter from Royal Mail today saying they'd hold the package from her until she pays a handling fee of 8 quid and VAT for international goods at 15 quid... 23 quid on a feckin parcel of clothes that I already payed VAT on when I bought them. And that I had to pay $66.25 to fucking post. OMG! Rip off merchants all around... :gramps:

Comment

General wavings and yoooooooo hooooooooos,

Good auld Britain. VAT on VAT, we just couldn't get by without being ripped off twice. Who gets all this money?

Anyway how are yer in yerselves, Zennifer and Molls and anyone passing by.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

There was some good craic yesterday morning on the thread about why us old timers keep coming back. Got a bit teary eyed at one point.

Me & Sir Pee have got a bad case of the sniffles. Thought it might be pollen related but it's hissed down all day so can't be that.

Nope our next Bank Holiday is 26th August. The annual JC BBQ's on the 25th so expect snow.

Hoping to get to the caravan the week after for a few days. Expect more snow.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening army me and my typing mistake this morning :H I gave yis all a laff and some posts after about embarassing names. Well I picked a bad day for shopping in Dundrum SC. It was packed and lots of families with kids. I was nackerd after walking almost half to the luas and back and walking around the shops with the crowds and the heat. The sales weren't that great and most stuff I like wasn't in the sales too expensive or not in my size. I did get 4 nice t-shirts and nice light Nike runners all in the sales. I don't need a lot now clothes wise. Just another 1 or 2 pairs of shorts, bikini and one piece swimsuit. also want a nice dressy pair of black shoes and may be one more dress. Couldn't find any shorts that weren't denim and very short or expensive even Penny's there wasn't great for holiday stuff but the store isn't well laid out I prefer Dun Laoghaire. Funny when you have the cash to spare its hard to find what you want and when you're broke the shops have your size price wise etc. Anyway i'll get there enough clothes talk for this evening for me anyway. Zen that's damn unfair charging your mam more VAT you paid the postage packing and tax from Florida. Bloody government. Off to get some dinner and watch tv. Be back later.

Comment

Howyiz

Comment

mollyka;1540358 wrote: Haha --- just this minute watching a programme called 'rip off Britain' - guessin you'd have a wee slot there!!! Cannot for the LIFE of me see why VAT should be paid in a country where the goods weren't bought???
              Just fell asleep since my last post --- absolutely bollixed --- it's dead tiring on a bike believe it or not!!
              Did you have a nice weekend aside's from your mum's parcel?
              My ex-hubbs had a couple of motorbikes. I remember coming up from Key West one time in the torrential rain... when we got home I couldn't get off the bike... totally seized up I was... cold and soaked through.

I know, paying an "international" tax is bollocks. Cheek of them. And a "handling fee"... WTF! They're the feckin post office... they SHOULD be feckin handling it! Rip off Britain is right... feckers.

I did have a nice weekend thanks. Nothing special, just a mate over and a bit of BBQing. I went to that organic farm yesterday and got a fridge full of fruit & veg for $60. Excellent prices and really fresh produce.

Comment

JackieClaire;1540359 wrote: General wavings and yoooooooo hooooooooos,

Good auld Britain. VAT on VAT, we just couldn't get by without being ripped off twice. Who gets all this money?

Anyway how are yer in yerselves, Zennifer and Molls and anyone passing by.

THEY
                get all the money Jacksers.... :gramps:

It's true though, they do. As we all know. The rich get richer and the rest of us do our best to make a decent life for ourselves... pretty much the bottom line.

Comment

Firefox;1540368 wrote: Evening army me and my typing mistake this morning :H I gave yis all a laff and some posts after about embarassing names. Well I picked a bad day for shopping in Dundrum SC. It was packed and lots of families with kids. I was nackerd after walking almost half to the luas and back and walking around the shops with the crowds and the heat. The sales weren't that great and most stuff I like wasn't in the sales too expensive or not in my size. I did get 4 nice t-shirts and nice light Nike runners all in the sales. I don't need a lot now clothes wise. Just another 1 or 2 pairs of shorts, bikini and one piece swimsuit. also want a nice dressy pair of black shoes and may be one more dress. Couldn't find any shorts that weren't denim and very short or expensive even Penny's there wasn't great for holiday stuff but the store isn't well laid out I prefer Dun Laoghaire. Funny when you have the cash to spare its hard to find what you want and when you're broke the shops have your size price wise etc. Anyway i'll get there enough clothes talk for this evening for me anyway. Zen that's damn unfair charging your mam more VAT you paid the postage packing and tax from Florida. Bloody government. Off to get some dinner and watch tv. Be back later.
                  I hear you on the shopping. If I'm not looking, loads of suitable stuff. Once I'm looking... furgetaboutit....

I'm needing a pair of shorts meself Foxy. My least favorite thing to buy. I'm wondering do they make any that fit normal women anymore? And where are all these stick insects that the make the shorts to fit? This is a fat nation... someone needs to send the clothing retailers the memo...

Comment

mollyka;1540370 wrote: The things SCREAM off the shelves at me when I've no money --- the most BEEEEOOOTIFUL things ---- then I save a bit of bob...... zilch --- fully sympathise Foxy!! I find Dundrum a bit too big --- Like Liffey Valley the best tbh.
                    How long is the cruise for?
                    LOL! Yep... my point too!

Comment

mollyka;1540374 wrote: Bikes and the rain DO not mix ---- feckin horrible achully!!!
                      Good on you with the organic stuff --- I just know I'm too lazy to go to the extra bother --- I have been thinking bout the 'sugar' thing tho --- one of the girls at Aftercare eats no sugar in ANYTHING - she says she's full of energy and shit --- I ate an awful load of shite in the last few days and I'm just drained of energy --- like if I can eat loads of ordinary food and not be hungry I could well go without sugary things for a couple of weeks and see how I feel....... mebbe...... not today ......or tomorrow......mebbe then...... mebbe:H
                      Been with my mother - went to Angler's Rest for yum fish.
                      I NEVER had a sweet tooth - but seem to have developed one since being off the grog. In fact my appetite has increased overall. But it's the sweet things that I crave.

Comment

mollyka;1540374 wrote: Bikes and the rain DO not mix ---- feckin horrible achully!!!
                        Good on you with the organic stuff --- I just know I'm too lazy to go to the extra bother --- I have been thinking bout the 'sugar' thing tho --- one of the girls at Aftercare eats no sugar in ANYTHING - she says she's full of energy and shit --- I ate an awful load of shite in the last few days and I'm just drained of energy --- like if I can eat loads of ordinary food and not be hungry I could well go without sugary things for a couple of weeks and see how I feel....... mebbe...... not today ......or tomorrow......mebbe then...... mebbe:H
                        Ha ha! You can do it!

You can actually get withdrawals when you detox off sugar/carbs. I started juicing again end of last week and had the most horrible headache today (doubled the amount of juice and added a wheatgrass shot... go meeeee!) So the healthy shots give me a headache too. Feck... I give in! :H We'd had a load of goodies last night and I reckoned I'd put come healthy stuff in my system today and I think the headache was from detoxing the damn sugar out of my system... :wow:

Comment

mollyka;1540367 wrote: Negative thinking MrsJackie --- tut tut --- not like you
                          I actually did read yourself and Tipps 'talking' - it was extremely moving --- and the overpowering sense I got from reading both of you was your total willingness to accept the lack of control over alcohol..... it's the ultimate key isn't it!!! It is gold dust in these parts to have long-termers around relating their 'histories' and how they move on with their lives --- very under-appreciated by many methinks -- DEFINITELY not in the Army ---
                          I was willing to do anything. I had to I was dying inside and out. Acceptance is defo the key.
                          And do you know at the party the other night it didn't bother me one jot that other people were drinking. As far as my AlkieRadar could see none of them were drinking alcoholically. They were having a few drinks with a few friends. Nice to see and I wasn't made to feel an outsider. Some of them I'd never met and not one of them questioned why I didn't drink. Lovely.

The under-appreciation thing. I'm just hoping that maybe, just maybe something I say will hit a cord in some one's mind.

It wouldn't be a JC BBQ without weather extremes. Anyhoo I'll be up in the corner up again under the gazebo with a cup of coffee and the only ash tray. Amazing how many friends I can congregate.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

mollyka;1540377 wrote: I HATE buying shorts --- searched last year for ones that were long enough for an aul wan my age --- legs need a certain amount of concealment in summer --- black tights do the job in the winter........ found FANTABULOUS ones last year in Penney's - they only cost about 6 euro's a pair so I got about 6 different colours - I've been living in them all summer!
                            Ahhh well done! When I find something good I buy in bulk too. Got 4 stretchy over the knee length skirts in Costco last week... $12.99 a piece... landed!

The shorts are problematic though... if they're not going up the craic of yer arse they're not feeling right when you sit down. Buy them a size bigger to resolve all that and yer hoiking them up all day. I envy you having six pair! :H

Comment

Hi Molly good to hear you had a nice day. How was your day with your mum Satz? Well done on the organic shopping Zen there are a few organic farmers markets around Dublin mostly at weekends but they are more expensive and then the travelling but may be one day I might try make the extra effort. The cruise is for 7 nights. Yes I do find Dundrum too big so I don't go there often and it always seems to be busy on any day at least the few times I've gone. Only been to Liffy Valley twice as it out of the way for me. City has better shops around Henry street and I like Jervis mall. Will go there later in the week. Oh also like St Stevens green SC it has no name boutique and Tk max among others.

Comment

satz123;1540378 wrote: Been with my mother - went to Angler's Rest for yum fish.
                                I NEVER had a sweet tooth - but seem to have developed one since being off the grog. In fact my appetite has increased overall. But it's the sweet things that I crave.
                                We all seem different in that regard. I gorged on shite when I was drunk. Mind you, I gorge on shite sober too... does that mean I'm GORGEOUS? :H

I reckon it's that you were getting sugar in your wine and now your body's looking for it somewhere else Satz. Oh and hello by the way. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X