The reality of Alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is out there for us?We have alcohol problems and majority of us would say we are alcoholics.

In the last few days the reality has been brought home to me.

Firstly I've been told of another woman, not too much older than myself to whom I'm linked via something in common, who I wasn't aware was an alcoholic but I had noticed I'd not seen her name for some time. She was a binger like myself and she would drink herself into hospital many times, finally one day her body packed in.

I also know of a heavy drinker who wouldn't say they were alcoholic, but has suffered long term physical effects because of the amount of alcohol consumed although it's improving as the amount of alcohol consumed has been massively reduced.

I also know of other people who've died in my locality, through being drunk (cyclist), or pure out and out alcoholism.

Often it's hidden by 'organ failure', or accident but the reason is the same.

I think it's important to remember each day why we are fighting this on a daily basis. Alcoholism does cause severe harm and does kill, it's easy to forget this, there are only so many chances we get at this and you never know what is around the corner.

ODAT
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

UK,

Funny how things go around and come around in this world.

I was at the hospital with my mom last week. While outside smoking, yes another one of my addictions, sigh, I met two sisters who were also smoking. I asked why they were there and they told me their brother was in ICU. He had cirrhosis of the liver and was dying. He was 42. They told me his father died when he was 46 from cirrhosis.

I am well passed the age those two gentlemen were when they died.

This is not a trivial addiction, it kills.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Dear UKBlonde,
      So glad you have reached this decision of AF life. For me, the hardest part has been accepting that I have an addiction. Now, I'm on to living joyfully. Will look forward to following your progress.
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Its got to be replaced with something that takes your focus and energies I think, thats where a lot of people hit the skids, too much time to think of drink!

Comment

my co-workers cousin died last year of cirrohsis,like his father before him,he was only 27,i didnt even know that was possible! it was always my excuse that im only in my 30's i couldnt possibly die,but honestly alcohol can kill at any age
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

My next step down was squalid poverty, and I was so ashamed of myself that I just had to quit. I have now made it for 3 years without a drink of alcohol.
            Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
            If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

well done!

Comment

scottishman;1540854 wrote: Its got to be replaced with something that takes your focus and energies I think, thats where a lot of people hit the skids, too much time to think of drink!
                Yer wanna see my lifestyle, hardly time for feet to touch the ground in the last 2-3 years!
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

well said UK.... happy thoughts and support to you
                  I have always admired your honesty and strength
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thank you so much! That brings a large grin to my experience this night when I am seated here kind of glum with a bad cool.
                    Its nice forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X