The Beagle Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beagle Story

Well here I am. I promised to share some of what I have been going through during my journey to sobriety.
    If you took all the drugs commonly abused and put them
    on a table, I would pick the Alcohol. So my problem is with alcohol. That does not mean that once I am drunk enough I will not do anything else. I will and I have. but it is Alcohol that makes that decision, Not Me.
    I live with someone who has the same problem. He just isn't ready to do anything about it. Oh yes he admits it. Believe me it has taken a long time to bring him to the point where he will admit to Alcohol being his drug of choice.
    This is not about him, it is about me. The struggle to stop drinking and stay sober is very difficult when you live with someone who is not on board with that. I mean we had serious issues when I first began this journey. He has come to accept my new sober life though and I do believe he is envious of my renewed interest in life.
    I use every tool on this site I can. I read every day and I post at least once. That way I see my intentions in black and white. I have someone in the real world I am accountable to. Not my husband, my daughter. I make progress reports to her because my drinking really hurt her.
    I have changed several things like the people I hang out with. I have to admit that this was not a big change in my life. By the time I found MWO and quit drinking, I had already isolated myself from the rest of the world. I really hate people seeing me that way! I do refuse to go places that I will be challenged beyond my capabilities. Like Bourbon Street during a big festival. Well you get the idea.
    Okay a little about me. One thing that you do not know about me is that I am a little person. Yep.
    I am a professional Housekeeper. I do more than clean, I care for my people. They often call me when they need other things. I want to be clean and sober for them, too. Many of these people I have been with for years and look forward to many more years with them.
    That's about all I can think of to tell you right now. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
    Also please forgive me if sometimes I seem distracted. I am really invested in my husbands well being and it is very depressing to watch someone hurt themselves over and over and over........like a giant truck runs them over each time. And you really are left to pick up the pieces.
    Have a good one where ever you are.
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

The Beagle Story

Dear Little Beagle,
    Thank you for posting your story -- you have quietly accumulated several months of sobriety and have been so supportive of me and others. Thank you.

I think it would be extremely difficult to achieve sobriety with a partner who drinks. My hat goes off to you for living daily with temptations and not succumbing, and to your concern for your husband's well being. As we all know, we have to make this choice of living AF for ourselves.

I bet your daughter is really proud of you.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

The Beagle Story

Dear LB,
      Thank you for sharing this part of your story with us. I am indebted to you for the kind words of support you have given me and I am in awe of the humanity that comes pouring from your heart and onto the post. I'm glad that I know someone like you - even if it is only virtually.

Best wishes, Ned
      "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

The Beagle Story

LB - that was a wonderful post. You are a strong and wonderful wife and mother. Glad you are here.

Waggy
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

The Beagle Story

little beagle;1540751 wrote:
          I do more than clean, I care for my people. They often call me when they need other things. I want to be clean and sober for them, too. Many of these people I have been with for years and look forward to many more years with them.
          Little Beagle,

This is the You we know on MWO. The depth of your concern is so clear in your posts - as is your common sense. I hope we have many more AF years with you, too.

It is remarkable that you have so much to give freely to others when you have such a constant stress in your life. You are a strong and wonderful woman. I hope your husband can somehow see this and make the positive changes you have made.

I also am glad to have had the chance to get to know you.

:h NS

Comment

The Beagle Story

What a wonderful post! You are the epitome of what MWO is all about. When you came in, you got support, and then when someone else needed it, you gave it freely. I am so proud of your accomplishments! I hope that life's path will become easier for you and that your hubby will be able to get the help he needs also. This is a lonely and isolating disease...I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Leading by example is strong and powerful, and you are doing it. Well done, LB!! Continued success! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

The Beagle Story

Thank you all for your support.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

The Beagle Story

LB
                it was good to read your post, I thank you for your support in the past, it was very kind of you to PM me when I hit 60 days. I saw in the Nest you hit 100 along with Steady, which is really wonderful.

I've often wondered what you look like behind those dark glasses!

Best to you
                Sam
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

The Beagle Story

LB.....glad to read your post. It has to be hard to watch your hubby go through what you did. Keep strong....possibly he will see how much better you are now that you are AF and want to follow. You are one strong beagle!

Comment

The Beagle Story

Little beagle, fantastic post. Yu have a good one too.
                    Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
                    If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

The Beagle Story

LB, thanks for posting this and thank you for the inspiration you have given me throughout my journey as well as all of your encouragement and support. You are a star, thank you.
                      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

The Beagle Story

Hey LB

Gone one on avoiding dangerous places where you might be tempted, this I think is very important and shows your commitment.
                        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

The Beagle Story

Hi Little Beagle -Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I read your story and I am quite amazed. You obviously care not only for yourself but for your fellow alkies as well. How awesome. Your recent post on my thread made a difference to "me" and I am thankful. You see, relatively speaking, I am new to this virtual board messaging business. However, it does seem to have huge amount of caring for others and I find peace in this.

So many of us travel down this road of Firewater hell that we really do forget (or, at least I do), that we are not alone. And whatever path we are able to choose to free ourselves from the bondage, we must always remember there are others following behind. As such, Beagle, you put yourself out there to help others and I can only hope it comes back to you and your husband 10 fold. Thanks for your insights.

Comment

Working...
                          X