HELP ! Unrelated to AL help needed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please forgive me for using MWO in this way but Mat has missed his connection in Dallas to Norfolk,,,Thunderstorms in Dallas kept them grounded in Touson. He is still there as far as I know. They haven't even left the ground in Tousan yet...no way he will make the connection in Dallas :upset:

He does not have the Unaccompanied Minor status (he's 14- we thought he'd be OK) and so far American AIrlines is reluctant to help.
    SO does anyone out there know this airport? I see a free shuttle provided to some hotles but...Geez! which ones are suitable ....
    ANy Ideas other than screaming at the airline poeple...I promise not to...I just feel like it.

I know alot of you travel (FT are you there?) and if I get really nervous I may PM some of you.
    I know in the end he will be OK but Jesus Mary & Joseph!

I just need to DO somehting so I don't implode...or drink....so I am turning once again to my people...:l
    On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
    *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Is he at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport or Dallas Love Field? DFW has a Hyatt Regency right at the airport.

Comment

He's at DFW... Does he have to take the SHuttle to get there or is it attatched to the Airport?
      I kno that's a dumb question but I understand that Dallas Air is huge place!

Comment

have you tried ringing customer service at the airport instead of the airline?
        There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
        You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Tel: 1 972 453 1234--That's the number for the Hyatt. It's adjacent to Terminal C. I don't know if you have to go out of the airport or not. Give them a call Kradle.

Comment

I posted this in the *&^% thread. He can ask a flight attendant for help and directions when he lands. I'm sure the pilots and attendants will get him where he needs to be. The hotel may be willing to send someone to collect him if you ask. Make sure he knows to NOT exit with everyone else. Tell him to hang back and let everyone else off first.
            Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

The flight people are trying to help him, Siren. They have been on the phone with me...he seems relaxed. I certainly am not

Fly I called the Hyatt, Thanksthank ou for their number.
              They are completely booked but here's REAL bad news...Texas law says you must be 18 or older to check into a hotel.....
              Now what! ?

I am calling the Airport like you suggested Glass. Th e airlines are not much help!

Comment

I thought he might be too young to check in on his own. That's why I thought maybe customer service might help. They might have arrangements with a hotel that will allow them to check him in, as long as you are in contact and can supply credit card details etc.

Comment

OH Kradle!!! I wish that I knew how to help. I just don't know anyone in either of those areas. Can they change his status to unaccompanied minor now? Since you are in contact with them, can they change that?

Please keep us posted. :h:h:h
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Kradle:l Deep breaths. We're here for you.

I travel all over the world so here's what I would tell him to do. As far as shuttles to hotels, the shuttles only go to "approved" hotels near the airport where the hotels have discounted rates due to travelers needing emergency lodging. Don't worry that the shuttles will take him to some seedy motel, so dismiss that thought.

There should be police officers in the airport, and he might want to ask one of them for help.

Siren's advice is also good:
                    He can ask a flight attendant for help and directions when he lands. I'm sure the pilots and attendants will get him where he needs to be. The hotel may be willing to send someone to collect him if you ask. Make sure he knows to NOT exit with everyone else. Tell him to hang back and let everyone else off first.
                    Your son is calm because he knows people will be looking out for him.

As far as missing his flight in Dallas, the airlines will probably automatically re-book him on the next flight out tonight or in the morning.

Comment

Any word yet?????
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I am Breathing deeply, Rusty ... and I feel like I've been on the phone for hours. :nutso:
                        I did try to get them to change his Status, Nora and they refused. The American Airlines woman started to give me the 'woulda, shoulda, coulda' speech and I hung up on her...sorry but I do not need to be dressed down at this time...

The good news is one of the flight attendants got on the phone and told me she would see to it that Matt was supervised when they finally reached Dallas. All the flight crew is probably stuck there now so I guess Matt will be a sort of tag-a-long.

And you're right Rusty they booked him on the first flight tomorrow at 1:30pm...God that poor kid is going to have been traveling for over 24 HOurs!!:upset: He's on the plane to Dallas now. There is a slim chance the connecting flight might still be there because of all the delays but....very remote...

No Matter how much I complain about Matt, you all know I adore him and I don't want anything bad to happen or for him to struggle like this....

So I am home waiting...I am NOT drinking. I am pretty numb...but I am so incredibly grateful to all of you for responding and holding my hand. I know that once my brother and sister in law have him on the other end, I will fall apart...

and then I am calling AA (the other AA) and get him on the unaccompanaied minors list for the flight. back...

Will keep you posted. :l

Comment

Kradle - just holding out my hand for you here. And this. :l

I know how scary it is for you, but I can assure you that he'll be thinking it's a great adventure to tell all his mates when he gets home.

Boys of 14 (and I think you said he's quite a big boy) are far more able to manage than we give them credit for. He's not in a foreign country, so he speaks the language and doesn't have passport issues. It sounds like I'm being tough, but the absolute worst thing that can happen to him is that he has to sleep in some uncomfortable airport chairs for a few hours.

If he was a couple of years older and going backpacking that's what he'd be doing anyway! My kids have pretty much travelled the world and spent many hours sleeping in those chairs, and so have I! Believe me, 24 hours is nothing! It took me 3 days to get home once, with no hotel in between.

And if it helps, when I was 15 I flew by myself from Australia to London - it took 36 hours with stops in Singapore and Dubai (changed planes both times but with no hotels) and I managed with no problems.

So relax and try not to get yourself into a tizzy - OK? :h:h:h

Comment

:so glad that she took him under her wing. Keep us posted. So scarey when we can't get to our kids to take care of them!!
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Glad to read that they are taking care of your son Kradle. Hang on in there and it sounds like it will all be OK.
                              Lots of hugs

Comment

Working...
                              X