Whiteclay, Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiteclay, Nebraska

Anyone else familiar with this issue? Basically if you don't want to read the whole story, this little town of between 10 and 20 people, directly adjacent to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which lies just inside South Dakota (where alcohol possession is illegal on tribal lands), sold nearly four million cans of beer almost exclusively to Native Americans. Finally in frustration - and a very close vote - the Oglala Sioux Nation voted to legalize alcohol sales on the reservation, so at least they are able to tax it and use the proceeds to fund detox and treatment centers. What are your thoughts? It is an imperfect solution to a complex problem with no easy answers. I personally say let them tax it and use the money to do some good. BTW, it's not mentioned in this article, but Pine Ridge has only a single treatment center with only seven beds.

With Pine Ridge vote to end prohibition, Whiteclay stands to lose lots of beer sales - Omaha.com
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Whiteclay, Nebraska

This short video shows more bluntly the devastation that alcohol sales in Whiteclay, NE wreaks on the Oglala Sioux people more than the newspaper article I posted earlier.

KELOLAND.com | Wasted In Whiteclay
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Whiteclay, Nebraska

This is interesting. I think it's good that the Reservation is selling the booze and able to benefit from the taxes collected. I hadn't really thought about Reservations having treatment centers. Maybe their center will be able to grow with the additional revenue. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the town of Whiteclay.

Comment

Whiteclay, Nebraska

Alky, interesting paradox. The majority voted to legalize the sale of alcohol on the reservation, and then use the profits to fund detox and treatment centers. Looks like a no win situation. I'm hoping for the best for the Oglala.
        Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
        If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Working...
        X