Glamorisation of alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glamorisation of alcohol

I am fed up of how glamorous alcohol is made out to be in the media.

Fiction shows have characters drinking it at any chance.
    Non fiction shows have it. Reviewing it. Showing how it enhances meals.
    Adverts.

Blah blah blah. We only see the glamour. Not the problem. And I really think more people haves problem that I am aware of. Our even the person themselves with the problem may be aware of.

Glamorisation of alcohol

I agree it is glamourized in adverts, tv shows, books etc. I think in our society right now there is a huge problem with it, it is disrupting a lot of lives and families and yet by certain people and organisations is still not considered a drug.
    New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

The possibilities are endless. This is what the rum advertisement advises us. Really? I question that one. One drink and I'm stupid. What possibilities does a drink stupid person have?
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

I created another thread in which I posted this video. This highlights one particular geographic locale in the USA, but I think it is a lot closer to the truth in many places than the glamorized image of alcohol.

KELOLAND.com | Wasted In Whiteclay
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

Now that I'm 3 years sober I'm beginning to see what the impact of advertising is on society. Never believed I was such a dupe for booze commercials but now realize how much I was.
          Success is making yourself do the thing you need to do, when you need to do it, whether you like it or not.
          If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

It is really scary how much alcohol is ingrained in society and seen by quite a few people as essential to life. Many think you can't relax and 'be yourself' without it, err I was definitely not myself with it and so much better sober. In fact during the last few months I was TSming i started to notice I was feeling detached when I drank, fuzzy, depressed, not me at all and certainly not 'relaxed' and enjoying it.

Film and soap stars rarely look rough, bloated or the way people do when drinking the amounts portrayed. Having been a drinker then seeing health benefits of not drinking, well I know it's hardly accurate.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

I just finished a book where a 19 year old was having a birthday party and "had" to do 15 shots...no mention of alcohol poisoning, stomach pumping or potential death...you know, the REALITY of someone drinking that much.
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

K9Lover;1545695 wrote: I just finished a book where a 19 year old was having a birthday party and "had" to do 15 shots...no mention of alcohol poisoning, stomach pumping or potential death...you know, the REALITY of someone drinking that much.
                I used to teach at one of the nation's more notorious party universities. It was a "thing" for students to do 21 shots the night of their 21st birthday. Even more ridiculous was that parents would come and party with their kids. You would see a lot of mothers partying with their college-aged daughters. 1., I can't think of anyone I would have rather LESS partied with than my parents, and 2., it was ridiculous, disgraceful and undignified to see wasted middle-aged women stumbling around with a crew of drunken coeds. I don't know if this was unique to the culture of this particular school though, since it was the first and only "party school" I've taught at. On any given night of the week, you couldn't walk down the main street next to campus where all the bars were without having to sidestep puddles of vomit.
                In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

little beagle;1545247 wrote: The possibilities are endless. This is what the rum advertisement advises us. Really? I question that one. One drink and I'm stupid. What possibilities does a drink stupid person have?
                  LB you are so right. When I took a skinfull (which was every time I drank which was pretty much every day) I was anything but glamorous. I also used to kid myself on by drinking in champagne and oyster bars, kidding myself on that if I was drinking in glamorous surroundings then I couldn't possibly be an alkie - just that stupid stupid addictive voice telling me lies.
                  "I used to be on the guest list, but now I'm on the nest list!"

Newbies Nest:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html

Toolbox:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

Only when getting sober for a while you then start to see the madness and obsession that others have with this drug ( lancet voted Alcohell the most damaging and destructive drugs of all) Its advertised everywhere, feel like I live in a strange world at times where I have kind of escaped the mass brainwashing and conditioning that afflicts the masses, Its tragic.

The Masses follow each other sheep like poisoning themselves, the cool people are stone cold sober and free.
                    Sober since 13th January 2012

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

They should stop the commercials and take down the Billboards

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

neferkamichael;1545493 wrote: Now that I'm 3 years sober I'm beginning to see what the impact of advertising is on society. Never believed I was such a dupe for booze commercials but now realize how much I was.
                        This is what I am starting to realise now, although far less than 3 years.

Especially beer and spirits commercials - where the glasses or cans have water dripping down the outside of them and the actors make out they are really refreshed.

The adverts which highlight the dangers of alcohol are laughed at - I know I used to.

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

I heard on the radio on the way to work this morning that alcohol was the biggest cause of death and sickness and use of our resources in Australia. I thought god yes and what will they do about it? Nothing was the answer i am thinking.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

Londoner;1549253 wrote: This is what I am starting to realise now, although far less than 3 years.

Especially beer and spirits commercials - where the glasses or cans have water dripping down the outside of them and the actors make out they are really refreshed.

The adverts which highlight the dangers of alcohol are laughed at - I know I used to.
                            More like dehydrated and hungover.:H
                            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Glamorisation of alcohol

My teen went through a period of watching Sex and the City or something name like that. She ended up quite curious and in praise of the glamour of alcohol. You'd think that after watching me struggle and her father talk about the same, this would be a no-brainer. It's very scary.
                              Shiney!

Comment

Working...
                              X