Invited to a Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invited to a Party

My husband and I have been invited to a Retro Pin-Up Girl themed party hosted by two of his very close friends. I was surprised we were invited since these friends know I don't drink, and they love to drink! But we have been invited, and since the theme sounds cool, we'd like to go.

My husband is 100% supportive of my sobriety and we've made the agreement that if I decide the party is too difficult for me, we'll leave.

We're supposed to BYOB to share, but of course I will not bring alcohol. I'm thinking of bringing an infused water to share.

What would y'all do in this situation?

Invited to a Party

Infused water is perfect to share because the drinkers could use it as a mixer if they wished (depending on what kind of liquor is served).

I never wanted to answer the "why aren't you drinking?" questions at parties. Everyone knew I was a beer snob, so I would bring non-alcoholic beer, pour it into a glass, and no one was ever the wiser.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Invited to a Party

If you feel strong enough, go ahead and go. Since you BYOB there will be less pressure (at least they should be less) to drink. And if its too hard, then make an excuse and leave.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Invited to a Party

In fact Pinkie when you see how dumb ass some of the drunks will act, and they will, it may even reinforce your soberness. Good luck hon.

Comment

Invited to a Party

I would go, because it sounds like it's going to be fun! Just have an escape plan in place in case you feel too much pressure. I'm so stubborn that the more people try to get me to drink the more I am determined not to...just to be a rebel. LOL And I agree with Hart, when you see the alcohol changing the behaviour of people, you'll be glad it's them and not you...especially the next morning!
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Invited to a Party

K9Lover;1546835 wrote: I would go, because it sounds like it's going to be fun! Just have an escape plan in place in case you feel too much pressure. I'm so stubborn that the more people try to get me to drink the more I am determined not to...just to be a rebel. LOL And I agree with Hart, when you see the alcohol changing the behaviour of people, you'll be glad it's them and not you...especially the next morning!
            This is exactly what I'd recommend. I'm also not afraid to tell people what's what if they start to put pressure on - if they get pushy I'll say look alcohol was going to kill me. Usually shuts em up:H
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Working...
            X