Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WICKED hangovers after abstaining?

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question. I've (had) been AF for 22 days when I went home to visit the family his past weekend. Since my long term goal is moderation, I felt comfortable having a few glasses of wine (3) and a few beers (4) throughout the course of the evening (over about 6-7 hours, and with LOTS of food). I headed to bed experiencing that "warm fuzzy" slightly intoxicated feeling, but definitely no where near Drunk.

Unfortunately, when I woke up the next morning I was INCREDIBLY hungover... As in falling to my knees in front of a toilet, getting sick, actually wishing my head WOULD split open as the headache suggested it would, and literally falling back into bed wimpering(luckily I'm in a part of the house where no one really noticed). I only remember being this sick when I went through ridiculous amounts of alcohol...like a few BOTTLES of wine or a few 6-packs of beer.

Is this normal after a drinking hiatus? I'm not on any of the supps (nothing personal, I'm just not a big medicine fan if I can avoid ) so it definitely wasn't a reaction to any of that. I expect that my body would not be used to processing alcohol anymore so I figured I'd have a mild headache at worst - not be completely debilitated.

Any ideas what happened? Is this something I should be concerned about (health wise)?

Thanks!

Noella

Noella, I can see how that could happen. Your body was not used to the toxins, so it was probably poisoned to some extent. The more I drank, the higher the tolerance. Not to mention that waking up with a hangover was a way of life - that's why it didn't seem so bad then and it does now??

Just guessing. Maybe you've developed an allergy to alcohol - I could use some of that :H

Comment

You poor thing, that definetely sounds like a bad morning. I am not sure why you felt as bad as you did but your body was definetely telling you that you were sick. Hope you feel better fast.

Sammys, Not much help but I feel for you!

Comment

Hi, I can totally relate. When I go without alcohol for a few days, then drink again, I get horrible migraine headaches. I rarely get them when I drink every day. You would think that would be enough to make me stop completely. I'm working on it!

Great job on the 22 AF days! That's amazing!

Comment

Barb is right. After we detox our bodies from alcohol we just re-poison them when we drink again and the body is protesting. Just one of the puzzling aspects of this condition, why do we do it? Simple question, complex answer.

Be well soon.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Nothing out of the ordinary. After AF for 22 Days, your mind will not notice the alcohol but your body will.

Keep it up.
            Starting over again 09/06/11

"When its good its good its so good until it goes bad" Pink,Sober

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone! I was worried that something was fairly wrong!

I must say, my body got it's point across... I went to bed thinking that I miss good wine, but after that morning I will definitely be shying away from the hooch!!! It also gives me a legitimate excuse when people wonder why I'm not drinking - I can use that as an example!! Wonder why it never worked before?

Cheers to the fruit drinks!

Noella

Comment

That's happened to me before too, Noella.
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                X