First time this has happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had 6 weeks AF with the help of Antabuse, relapsed and spent 2 weeks drinking.

So decided with some new mental skills gained by using antabuse I was going to stop drinking again with willpower alone as I have the AB if needed.

No sleep the first night and struggled to get to sleep last night but on 4 or 5 occasions just as I drifted of I got palpitations so bad I thought I was having a heart attack causing me to sit up until I regained my thoughts?

I have never really suffered any withdrawal symptoms before and that was scary.

Does this mean my body has upped the level of its dependence on alcohol could it be something to do with the AB although that was over 4 weeks ago?

I certainly do not want to go through that again I thought I was going to die 5 times in the night. Any ideas on this ?
    Its easier not to start than stop

gmc, how terrifying. I wish I could posit some ideas about what was going on with you, but I'm clueless. Can you stop by a clinic or doctor's office today? Maybe they need to do some tests.

Hopefully some of the people here who have used AB will come along with their experiences soon.

Best to you,
    UN

Comment

Hi GMC,
      The palpitations sound like an anxiety attack...I suffered many of those when I was drinking (and when I first quit). I'd wake up every morning at 3am feel the weight of the world crushing my chest. I really doubt it's the AB (although I am NOT a doctor so do not take my word as being final!). How long have you been alcohol free? What you're experiencing sounds pretty normal for the first few days. But PLEASE go to a doctor if you are worried. Let us know ok?
      K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

gmc, try a seach on this site for' Kindling'. It's the effect we have we have repeated starting and stopping with AL abuse. It does get worse every time (I wrote the book on that one). My best advice is quit and STAY quit no matter what. I know it's easier said than done, but it has to be easier than what we put ourselves thru to drink! Best of luck!! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

It was my second night AF and thinking about it was probably too much fizzy water"gas" added with anxiety attacks not nice.
          I definitely need a blood test done ASAP just to see how my organs and cholesterol are.
          Thanks for your replies I looked up kindling and that don't sound good
          Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

gmc38609;1549864 wrote: It was my second night AF and thinking about it was probably too much fizzy water"gas" added with anxiety attacks not nice.
            I definitely need a blood test done ASAP just to see how my organs and cholesterol are.
            Thanks for your replies I looked up kindling and that don't sound good
            I experienced a variety of side effects after each binge, unlike the kindling they didn't always correlate with the number of times I'd sobered up, for instance the worst was in 2009, but I had other relapses after that without the same severity. I think yes it can get worse, but also depends on the exact situation, exact individual. For instance the times I was worst was after a period of drinking 5 days out of 7 for up to 6 weeks. Other binges were maybe 2-3 days max weekly or every ten days.

Anyway the sure fire way to avoid any of this is to stay off alcohol, it's as simple as that. Majority of withdrawl effects are completely gone after 10 days AF and will not return unless you drink again.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

After heavy binging I get something very similar. Anxiety. Af definitely got rid of it for me.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

First time this happened

I was on AB for awhile, and as well relapsed. According to my physician, the AB stays in you system for several weeks even months. What you may be having is side effects from that.

Comment

Like others have said I think what you had was withdrawal from alcohol. I have had that racing heart thing alonside shivers, shakes and jolts. The heart thing always happened at night and was really frightening. Understand how you felt.
                  New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

How are you doing GMC? Let us know...
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                    X