Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving close calls

Just airing my thoughts :
    A few weeks sober now and have survived 2 of the strongest/worst cravings ever.
    Last week it was "the celebratory craving" , i ran a marathon in my best time and started to plan a few drinks that evening. Dont know how i didnt cave, just persevered..
    Tonight , brought my son to his football training and had planned to go for a run. But then i was overcome with the worst craving . Didnt go for my run , nearly went to the nearest pub , but somehow changed my mind . But i went home still planning to go to the off license.
    20 minutes now to off license closing so it looks like i will survive tonight.
    I have had quite a few AF times , 9 months being the longest .
    But for fuck sake , this is the worst . I am really going to have to work harder !!!
    Thanks for listening . Just typing this has helped . But still feeling
    vulnerable and sorry for myself. seems to have been building as i have had been in crap form all day,hope this eases.
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

Surviving close calls

Just to add , my craving thoughts consisted of planning on drinking "for the next few months" and try again "NEXT YEAR !!!! " , my stinkin thinkin is fucked up !!!
    Still trying !!!
    AF 25th June2014

Comment

Surviving close calls

The important part is that you DID survive.

My thinking gets screwed up a lot lately too. I think to myself "Is it really so bad to have a beer or two?"...BUT...then I have to be honest. I've never in my life had A BEER OR TWO...12-15 is more like it. And it's not the relaxing event I imagine, it results in blackouts, arrests, bruises, loss of memory and anxiety. So YES....a beer or two is that bad for me! Drinking is not a reward, it's a punishment that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. You overcame your thoughts and I'm proud of you. Keep up your great work!
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Surviving close calls

Thanks K9 , you are always a great support , very much appreciated , Hope things are going well for you x
        Still trying !!!
        AF 25th June2014

Comment

Surviving close calls

Well done Damo in not caving in. We all have those moments and I have struggled many times and some ended in slips but learning all the time. Yes like k9 and others there is no such thing 1 or 2. Its 2 alright but 2 bottles of wine and blackouts sometimes falling over and awful hangovers so al is poison to me I have to accept that odat. I hope the rest of your weekend goes well:l.

Comment

Surviving close calls

Good on you Damo for not giving in, our minds are funny things and just keep talking to yourself. I spend a lot of time telling myself I dont want that drink, FFS as everyone says one is too many and 100 is not enough. I am appreciating waking up on a Saturday (this being my first in years) and planning what I can do with this day instead of feeling like total shit and saying I am never drinking again to going to the bottleshop and starting at 5pm. Its a vicious circle and one I hope I can eventually break.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Surviving close calls

Hey Damo-went & posted on wrong thread doh!!
              Has this build up anything to do with the football - build up of adrenalin ?
              I know that has happened to me a few times that you get buzzed - like after the marathan you ran ? - and want to keep it going and drink will help do that for a while - but think it through to the end.......next morning.....:yuk:
              You want to run Dublin Marathon ? drink will interfere big time with your training.
              Keep going you are doing great

ps Up the Dubs :thumbs:

Comment

Surviving close calls

I know if I had 1 beer now I would need at least 11 more and 3-4 shots and a mixed drink or two. Not the life I want anymore. Well done for not caving. Its Labor day weekend and trust me, you can survive the three day weekend without drinking. Just take it ODAAT.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Surviving close calls

I always found it a relief to get past those moments, but also tiring as well. I'm sure as time goes on it'll get much easier. It's easier to go and drink, but harder to deal with the consequences than if you don't drink.
                  I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Surviving close calls

Thank you all very much for your support ..... Satz , i hope to do Dublin marathon and certainly going back on the booze could stop me running it as it has before.
                    I woke up relieved and grateful this morning .
                    I really do have to take it odat. Weekends are tough going at the moment , but hopefully i ll get through this one . Have a plan for tonight !!
                    Thanks again , and hope to be back on here tonight .
                    Anything to get away from the bleedin x factor:H
                    Still trying !!!
                    AF 25th June2014

Comment

Surviving close calls

damo you're doing great! I am at about three months now and still get the cravings. I am almost at the point now where I can actually look at them and think wow where is that coming from? Usually there's a trigger. Once we work out our triggers then be prepared for them we are that much closer to winning the battle.

It's bloody irritating though eh?
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Working...
                      X