Why do we drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we drink?

I can't really add much to what has already been said, but drinking is like making a deal with a loan shark. For a temporary respite from whatever is troubling you, the price you pay when the bill comes due is not worth it. Several people have already mentioned the misery of the physical symptoms, the shakes, the chills, the nausea, vomiting and dry heaving and the insomnia, etc.

Furthermore, life hasn't stopped just because you temporarily checked out, so whatever was the problem that made drinking seem like a good idea will still be there and there's a good chance it's increased in magnitude. Drinking made me pick fights with people, has landed me in the pokey twice, made me unable to live up to family and professional obligations and makes me a douchebag in general.

And if you do it long enough and often enough as I did, "sleeping it off" doesn't do it anymore because you're brain can tolerate far more alcohol than your organs can handle so you wake up in that hideous nether-region between tipsy and drunk feeling like crap and indulge in an "eye opener" because that's the only thing that makes you feel better. Either that, or have a really unpleasant day going through withdrawal symptoms.

Someone on the meds thread brought up an excellent point. When you drink, you seem to have all this free time on your hands, so why not overindulge and pass out on the couch? When you don't drink, it's amazing little time there is to get so much done.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Why do we drink?

I think the main reason I drank was to avoid dealing with some things - for escape.

And what a great technique I developed:

You don't have to face things while you are drinking, you don't have to face them all the next morning because all your energy is directed toward functioning despite feeling awful; you don't have to face too much during the afternoon, especially if you are busy hiding your past exploits and preparing for the evening to come; and then it is almost time to start all over again.

But it is hard to escape what you'r doing during the 3 a.m. wake-up period of hell and eventually some of us are fortunate enough to realize that we need help breaking this pathetic cycle.

Comment

Why do we drink?

Great posts - love the analogy of the loan shark. Yes, it all starts out so nice and friendly, until you suddenly realise you got yourself trapped into a situation with no get out clause - except there is, isn't there? We just have to recognise the ridiculousness of our situation.

I think I am at the stage when I don't want to drink anymore, but am not quite at the stage where I'm not drinking - if you see what I mean.
        Clinging on to a redundant, out of date habit just because I have a huge problem with change (even though the change would undoubtedly be for the better!!)

Probably just going to have to man up - what's the worst that can happen, I'll have to deal with being able to watch a tv show all the way through and be able to remember what happened the next day? Now that would be a first.....

Comment

Why do we drink?

We drink for all kinds of reasons.........Bad childhood, the lost of a family member, or job lost. As for me...."I drink to forget, forget what!?! Don't know , I forgot !" Ha!......Little levity to make the day go by......
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Why do we drink?

mycall;1551596 wrote: I think I am at the stage when I don't want to drink anymore, but am not quite at the stage where I'm not drinking - if you see what I mean.
            Clinging on to a redundant, out of date habit just because I have a huge problem with change (even though the change would undoubtedly be for the better).
            Mycall, you just cut to the heart of the nature of addiction. Despite the different reasons that led us here, for all of us, at some point it simply became easier to drink than to not drink even in spite of the negative consequences.

Also compounding my issues was that I didn't eat during benders so all that alcohol with no food to soak it up or provide nutrition - no wonder it was easy to literally stay drunk for weeks.
            In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Why do we drink?

Morning all

Yes Mycall hubby, dogs same thing. I dont think any man would want me with my AL problem but then I dont want just any man! Like you I dont want to drink anymore but there is that niggly thought in my AL brain so I am just going one day at a time, dolly steps. I have slipped twice since 25/8 but in saying that this is the soberest I have been in such a long time. Each slip I get more determined.

Alky, food what was food? That was something time consuming to prepare when i could be relaxing with a wine. Gees! Now I actually am hungry, now thats a suprise.

IAD very well said and so true.

Its a great escape route NoSugar but just so not worth the day after. I sometimes wonder how i functioned hungover driving in peak hour traffic everyday but we did what we had to do. I wonder how many other people are on the roads feeling just like me though. Scary thought.

Apparently today in Australia we have a really critical binge drinking crisis. More and more people are binge drinking more often. Now would we not classify that as "there are more alcoholics than ever before"?
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Why do we drink?

For me, drinking was like playing Russian Roulette. It was fun and exciting for a while, but eventually I was going to find the bullet.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Why do we drink?

I agree K9 I think the bullet nearly found me too and i really am over the vicious cycle of living a lie due to the poison i put continuously in my body. Even now i am thinking of a drink and it is 9am here. I never drank at 9am, i was always too hungover. I am putting it down to withdrawals and luckily on the way home today I have no reason to stop at the shops and give into temptation.

Comment

Why do we drink?

this thread is really helping me tonight.....thanks......
                    WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME????? and then I come on here and get all the answers and strength i need
                    I just won't anymore

Comment

Why do we drink?

Jenni just one step and day at a time. Yes i live on here now, these nesters understand what we are going through when our "normal" friends do not. There is nothing wrong with you just like there is nothing wrong with me, we love AL, how can we love a drug that is poisoning our bodies, destroying our lives and yet still want it? Its 8am here and i am thinking of AL. Dont know why as i dont want it. Coffee for me and housework sounds so much better (well maybe lol).

Hope you stay strong.

Comment

Why do we drink?

thank you so much available....
                        i will get there soon
                        I just won't anymore

Comment

Working...
                        X