Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

I was driving through South Carolina on Interstate 95 last week and I saw these billboards at frequent intervals. As a habitual drunk driver that was never caught, I never really thought about the monetary consequences. As the following article from MSN Money points out, $10k is on the LOW side of a first DUI, depending on the jurisdiction, aggravating factors and especially if you try to fight it or not.

DUI: The $10,000 ride home - 1 - alcohol & cars - MSN Money
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

I am so glad that I don't drink anymore! I wouldn't call myself a habitual drunk driver, but I certainly did it a few times. Thank God I never hurt anyone.

Comment

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

My drink driving incident, which was a complete one-off definitely cost me around ?10000, which I think is a bit more than the same amount in dollars.

Over here you will not be covered by your insurance if you have an accident and are over the drink-drive limit, even if it's not your fault and the towing, garage, scrapping costs all add up. The price of a taxi, or simply going AF, in all circumstances is definitely a lot cheaper.
      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

Between 2 DUI's I spent over $25,000...fines, alcohol school, bail, insurance, car impoundments, interlock device on the car...etc, etc, etc.

I'm just thankful I never hurt anybody...that would be something I couldn't live with.
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

Ukblonde;1551937 wrote: Over here you will not be covered by your insurance if you have an accident and are over the drink-drive limit, even if it's not your fault and the towing, garage, scrapping costs all add up. The price of a taxi, or simply going AF, in all circumstances is definitely a lot cheaper.
          It's beginning to trend that direction on this side of the pond as well. I couldn't find anything on Google, but remember hearing recently (maybe on public radio news) that legislation is pending in Virginia(?) to absolve insurers of paying traffic accident claims if the insured was under the influence.
          In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Cost of DUI/DWI/OUI

Same insurance policy in NZ - even if you are not at fault insurance does not cover an accident when you have been drinking. Anything. Also if you get convicted of a DIU it will be really hard to get insurance cover again.

Comment

Working...
            X